Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
everythingBUTnothing

The people who post messages on this board know nothing

I am a 23 year old guy who has been reading stuff on your board for 6 months. I have really bad deep acne scarring from cystic acne for over 6 years on my cheeks. When I first started reading i was very optimistic that I would be able to find the best treatment for my scarring from the thousands of messages here. But finally all that I have learnt are a few fancy names of treatments that 'may' help my scarring.

Everyone talks about how they started gettion some treatment done....but then no one really says that they got the complete treatment done and their final results were....

It would really help the users if the board could be arranged in terms of different treatments and their final results.

I am in australia and there are many various treatments avaliable and every plastic surgeon i have been to seems to have a different opinion.

It is very frustrating for me that finally i have been able to raise the money for whatever tratement possible but just dont know the best way out.

I had Halaform injected twice within 2 months into my scars to raise them but it got absorbed by the skin really soon. Moreover I am left with redness in my depressed scars which makes them look worse.

Now I am looking into procedures like

1) Subsicion.

2) Needling (Collagen Induction Therapy using Rollcit).

3) Smoothbeam.

4) Pulsed Light Lazer for my redness.

5) Exoderm - though i am doubtfull about this procedure

The last surgeon i went to told me to get Needling done using the Rollcit and with that get a Pulsed Light Lazer done too. She showed me some before and after pics of of some people she did the procedure ..it seemed promising but the scars werent as deep as myne.

Anyways it would be really helpful if the people who have actually got the complete above treatments done shed some light on their FINAL results with specifications about downtime as I am working fulltime and being a guy its more difficult for me to get a treatment done and go to work straight away with makeup like girls.

Try Subcision/Nlite

Oursfan had it done, have you seen her website, very satisifying results.

Then go from their.

I am a 23 year old guy who has been reading stuff on your board for 6 months. I have really bad deep acne scarring from cystic acne for over 6 years on my cheeks. When I first started reading i was very optimistic that I would be able to find the best treatment for my scarring from the thousands of messages here. But finally all that I have learnt are a few fancy names of treatments that 'may' help my scarring.

Everyone talks about how they started gettion some treatment done....but then no one really says that they got the complete treatment done and their final results were....

It would really help the users if the board could be arranged in terms of different treatments and their final results.

I am in australia and there are many various treatments avaliable and every plastic surgeon i have been to seems to have a different opinion.

It is very frustrating for me that finally i have been able to raise the money for whatever tratement possible but just dont know the best way out.

I had Halaform injected twice within 2 months into my scars to raise them but it got absorbed by the skin really soon. Moreover I am left with redness in my depressed scars which makes them look worse.

Now I am looking into procedures like

1) Subsicion.

2) Needling (Collagen Induction Therapy using Rollcit).

3) Smoothbeam.

4) Pulsed Light Lazer for my redness.

5) Exoderm - though i am doubtfull about this procedure

The last surgeon i went to told me to get Needling done using the Rollcit and with that get a Pulsed Light Lazer done too. She showed me some before and after pics of of some people she did the procedure ..it seemed promising but the scars werent as deep as myne.

Anyways it would be really helpful if the people who have actually got the complete above treatments done shed some light on their FINAL results with specifications about downtime as I am working fulltime and being a guy its more difficult for me to get a treatment done and go to work straight away with makeup like girls.[/quot

Try contacting a skin therapist named mimi Gyergyak in brisbane qld she's doing amazing things with scarring ph 3832 5135

I don't understand your subject "The people who post messages on this board know nothing"...I think there are some people here who know A LOT, in fact more than some doctors/derms.

I think the reason why you get different opinions from different surgeons is either they don't know everything about possible scar treatments or, since they want to make money, they of course prefer the treatments they offer.

Personally I think subcision, excision, CROSS or maybe needling are the best treatments for deep pits. I'm not sure if the Rollcit will be as effective as using a hand tool/tattoo gun though. It would help if you described your scars, what type of scars are they?

This may sound a bit frustrated or persnickity, but um.......there is so much information on this board with very specific outcomes noted after treatment was finished that I cannot help but wonder if we are reading the same board.

Just about everyone I've read about who is getting some type of treatment lets the board know in very specific terms what the improvement percentages are.

Therefore, I have no idea what your complaints or concens are......

But good luck in finding help with your scarring......

Pulse light laser was mentioned. I assume this is IPL. They have SIPL now to. Anybody had treatment with these for scar hyperpigmentation.

Hi everythingBUTnothing. I have to say I agree 100% with you. You get no answers on this board only possability's. No conclusions no final results. People seem to post a few times after treatment and vanish. Maybe they get good results and say screw that message board I dont need it anymore. Who knows? I like this board dont get me wrong. I will be getting a treatment done thanks to somebody on this board and hopefully it helps. But it would be nice if there was more posts of before and after photo's of a full treatment from begining to end. Alot of times its post after post of desperation treatments that dont work. I cant afford to try any and every treatment out there. I need to save up and go all out on a treatment. Not trying to put anybody on this board down. You people are all kind people and we are all here for one reason and thats for help. But more result posts would be nice because I have been on this board for a while and it kind of seems like a never ending circle of the same posts over and over and over again.

There are a lot of treatments out there for scarring. Please read the FAQ for further information on what's currenly out there:

http://acne.org/messageboard/viewtopic.php?t=5996

Nothing is going to completely remove scars, but there are treatments that may help improve the appearance of scars. Everyone is different, so what works for you might not work for me, and vice versa.

I had subcision and N-Lite done and I have a website with photos that shows the results: http://www.tamaramadden.com/Subcision/Subcision.htm

Unfortunately not everyone here has a camera or wants to spend time documenting their results. Perhaps you could post results of treatments that you try in the future. We would very much appreciate it.

The moderators here only have so much control over what is posted.... We try our best to answer questions as they arise, but there is no way to arrange threads of information. That's really why we put together the FAQ.

We definitely understand your frustration in trying to find treatments for scarring and that's why this board exists. We are all here to share the information and experiences we have had, but none of us are Doctors.

Guest niko

mate, your subject title "the people on this board know nothing" is a bunch of crap. You sound extremely bitter at this board for not finding you a sure solution to your scars. Yes, it gets frustrating with such varied results, but the people on this board are some of the most knowledgable for the subject. If you don't believe me, maybe you should read over last 6 months of posts over once more.

When I saw Dr. Rapaport in NJ he admitted that people on these boards know more about scars revision techniques than 95% of dermatologists, so I wouldn't say people on these boards "know nothing."

However I understand you frustration, it took me some time to realize that there are a ton of options, but your not going to know which ones work the best for you until you start trying some. Also, you can easily rule out certain methods based on the type of scarring you have. Other than that its trial and error, and money, and time, and no single/one session treatment is going to "cure" you. You just have to accept that.

By the way since you're in Australia maybe you should look into Aquamid? I think they have it there.

Firstly my apologies to any people I offended with the subject of my post. The real reason for me choosing such a topic was to get the attention of the people who really cared to post messages on this board so that my topic wouldn’t just be seen and forgotten.

My current doc who did the 2 rounds of halaform injections on my scars and also a Jessners peel suggests that I apply a steroid cream and wait for my redness to go and till then maybe get another Jessners peel done. Though he is a nice individual who is not interested in making money it seems to me that I am a guinea pig for him and he is trying out stuff on me without even committing to 10% improvement. This is a major reason for my frustration.

The way I have decided I want to work with my scars is that i first want to completely get rid of the redness because as long as that lasts even if my scars get raised by any treatment what so ever i will still look bad. Once the redness goes and i have an even skin tone i wanna look at options like 1)needling, 2)subsicion or even a permanent filler like 3)Aquamid which is available here in Melbourne or maybe even 4)excision for the 3 big scars on my cheeks. But right now i am getting mixed reviews about the IPL for redness.

I am seeing 3 more plastic surgeons and laser surgeons this weekend to get a better idea about different treatments for my red marks.

What do you wise people think? Do I have the right approach? Its just that even when I got the Halaform injected and my scars got raised it was not noticeable as they were still red. I just don’t want something like this to happen after I get a more expensive and time consuming treatment done. What do you think about the treatments above?

My logical choices are

1) Some non abrasive laser for the redness

2) Needling with IPL

3) Subsicion with a permanent dermal filler like Aquamid and maybe step 1 again

4) Just a permanent filler. (though I don’t think this would work)

5) Since I have 3 big scars also on my cheeks ,excision

Now my problem is that the work structure I am in I can’t take time off regularly to ‘try’ treatments without any results and I dont wanna show my workmates my weakness.

Anyways I think I have written enough for you guys to read. Lets c what happens in the coming days.

Guest niko

I think you are looking into the better procedures. I understand your work problem, I am in currently in an elite Airborne outfit, believe me I can barely go to DC and have Smoothbeam done without breaking military laws.

Ive had my redness for 4 years and now its gone with 9 days of smoothbeam

i recieved insant results on the general redness and day 9 90% of the redness in the scars are gone.

This treatment is a miracle

and is not for everyone.

but i still have acne.

on one side of my face..weird

I think your frustration comes from the fact that you are talking to real people that have had realistic results from the procedures. Of course the doctors are going to inflate the actual results or they would not make any profits. This board has saved me thousands of dollars by educating me about procedures that are dangerous, a waste of money, and emotionally traumatizing. I have learned of more prosperous procedures that I hope to someday be able to afford like smoothbeam. I do understand your point though because there have been no procedures that offer the results that we expect to get from them.

When i saw a derm he first recommended Aquamid. I then said it's a foreign substance(although it can be effective). He then quickly changed his recommendation and said yeah i don't think aquamid will be right for you. You will not get the result you want. So be careful with fillers like aquamid and artecoll. Basically they stay under your skin forever. Removing this stuff is very difficult and can lead to more scarring. If you don't get the result you want you will be left with this foreign stuff under your skin permanently and it could prevent you from getting any other fillers that may come out in the future.

Hey, this is just a message board we are not doctors... we are just here sharing our expereinces and sharing whatever info we learn along the way .... We also give support and encouragement to each other... Sorry if it disappoints you but .....

I agree that having a permant filler has draws backs, the main one being it could prevent you from having better fillers added when they come out. Also side effects,etc.

That could be the case with Artecoll, though I don't see how it or Aquamid would prevent someome from having an autologous filler like Isolagen.

I agree that having a permant filler has draws backs, the main one being it could prevent you from having better fillers added when they come out. Also side effects,etc.

That could be the case with Artecoll, though I don't see how it or Aquamid would prevent someome from having an autologous filler like Isolagen.

If i go for a treatment like subsicion OR needling. Could you please tell me which one would give better results,personal experiences would help. Which has a greater downtime and how much is it?. I have some deep big scars and some shallow scars. Ice pics, to rolling to boxscars.

I think you would benifit from doing subscion first then needling. Mainly because the needle is inserted deeper then needling to break up the scar tissue. Needling just won't do that to your scars.

I was thinking of doing subcision first followed by needling, but the derm charges 900USD and he throws in a vascular laser for free which is like a watered-down version of NLite but less effective. Down time is only 2-3 days, as other peolple on this board have said.

I still have to see this aesthetician who has been doing cosmetic tattooing for twelve years. Some of those beauty therapists actually teach the surgeons and derms so i will ask her about my scarring then make up my mind. Down time for needling though could be 7 or more days if you have scabs.

In Queensland they offer NLite but i don't think smoothbeam is offered here yet unfortunately.