Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
xue_mei

Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome

Hi, everyone!

I wasn't entirely sure where to post this, so I thought I'd try it here. I have a question for ladies that have been diagnosed with PCOS (polycystic ovarian syndrome). I haven't been able to find the answer elsewhere:

Have you had acne for most of your life, or did it start to develop later on before you were diagnosed (like you got acne for the first time in your early 20s, etc)?

Have you started any medication like metformin? If so, has it helped the acne?

I'm turning 20 in December. My sister was diagnosed with PCOS, so I'm getting tested. She's never had any problems with acne, nor has anyone else in my family. My acne isn't severe, but it's been aggravated for about a year or so, and I'm puzzled as to why. I have no other surface symptoms of PCOS. I'm trying to pinpoint the cause of my acne, and I was wondering what other people's experiences are.

Thanks very much!

xue-mei

Well I just found out I had PCOS last month, but ive had acne since i was about 12 or 13 and im 21 now. Im pretty convinced that I have a hormonal imbalance which is why I break out because of orgasms or any other hormonal changes, and its why i have pcos. You say your acne just started about a year ago? You should think about any changes youve made in your life since then; whether its stress, hormonal, diet etc. Where does the acne appear?

I was diagnosed with PCOS a month and half ago and I've had acne problems since I was 12. I'll be 26 in January. The only thing I'm on right now is Ortho Tricyclen to help regulate my periods. Not the most agreeable med I've ever taken, but I have to take it while on the Accutane anyway.

Well I just found out I had PCOS last month, but ive had acne since i was about 12 or 13 and im 21 now. Im pretty convinced that I have a hormonal imbalance which is why I break out because of orgasms or any other hormonal changes, and its why i have pcos. You say your acne just started about a year ago? You should think about any changes youve made in your life since then; whether its stress, hormonal, diet etc. Where does the acne appear?

The acne I have is on my cheeks. I used to have pretty bad back acne, but I grew out of it. Does the area where you have acne mean anything?

About a year ago, I started eating better and exercising more. So, I've boiled it down to a combination of overtreatment (since I moved from washing my face sporadically to twice a day and using BP or SA) and hormones. I used to just get a couple of pimples before my period. After I started exercising and washing my face more, this increased to about four or more on each of my cheeks a month.

The best my skin has been in a year is when I was treeplanting in northern Ontario. I was just washing my face twice a day with cold water, and I had absolutely no bumps. So, I've also been washing my face once or twice a day with just water now, and my skin feels so much better. Then again, I was also outside all day, so that probably helped.

The only other thing that changed was when I went on hormonal birth control. I got a Mirena IUD put in in August, and my face exploded. I had large, red bumps without any heads all over my cheeks. That's when I came here for the first time. I've had it out for about a month now, and my face is really calming down. But I'm still paranoid that it isn't either of these things, and I just wanted to do more research.

Sorry for the long and rambly story. =P Thanks for writing me back.

The acne I have is on my cheeks. I used to have pretty bad back acne, but I grew out of it. Does the area where you have acne mean anything?

About a year ago, I started eating better and exercising more. So, I've boiled it down to a combination of overtreatment (since I moved from washing my face sporadically to twice a day and using BP or SA) and hormones. I used to just get a couple of pimples before my period. After I started exercising and washing my face more, this increased to about four or more on each of my cheeks a month.

The best my skin has been in a year is when I was treeplanting in northern Ontario. I was just washing my face twice a day with cold water, and I had absolutely no bumps. So, I've also been washing my face once or twice a day with just water now, and my skin feels so much better. Then again, I was also outside all day, so that probably helped.

The only other thing that changed was when I went on hormonal birth control. I got a Mirena IUD put in in August, and my face exploded. I had large, red bumps without any heads all over my cheeks. That's when I came here for the first time. I've had it out for about a month now, and my face is really calming down. But I'm still paranoid that it isn't either of these things, and I just wanted to do more research.

Sorry for the long and rambly story. =P Thanks for writing me back.

Well for me I found that my orgasm related acne appears directly on my cheekbones or my forhead and they're usually bigger in size. Recently though, I had an episode like yours when your face erupted with bumps without any heads on the lower cheeks and my doctor said it was something hormonal going on but it was serious because my lymph nodes were swollen. Right now Im still dealing with that. With your situation though It sounds like it could be anything :think:

With your situation though It sounds like it could be anything :think:

Yeah, I'm somewhat baffled. But, we'll see what happens. I'm trying to remain optimistic at this point...

I have PCOS and was diagnosed 5 yrs ago, but i always new i had a hormone imbalance, ever since i started my period at around 14 it has never been regular. I also started getting mild acne around that age to on my face and back, which i have controled over the years with anti biotics and bp gel. And recently my acne has worsened, but doing the regime has cleared me up nearly.

Dinatte never worked for me.

Im not sure on the orgasm theory either, i just think my acne is a hormone imbalance which can only be controlled.

The answer is sorting out the imbalance, which i have no clue in doing, they say you ahould eat organic food etc and keep your weight down, which isnt a problem for me.

Every pcos suffer has differnt symptoms,

Symptoms include:

Weight gain

Acne

Hairness

Irregular periods

They also say pcos is genetic, but no one in my family has it. It is also because you have to much testorone in your body, which is why i think i have a high sex drive!!, lucky me!.

Im off to see my gyno soon as i want to sort this out as i have enough, i know there is no cure, but i just dont understand this inbalance and want to do something!.

Well ill shut up now , ive rambled on long enough......................

Well ill shut up now , ive rambled on long enough......................

Pffft, you've helped me out! Thanks for responding. I hope that you find out what you need to know......