Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tennille

Deep regret over Accutane...........

:cry:

My skin is now aging ao fast now and my hair is super-dry, splitting and no longer growing. I am thinking of having hormone therapy to try to get the oil back, it's so depressing.

My skin is now aging ao fast now and my hair is super-dry, splitting and no longer growing. I am thinking of having hormone therapy to try to get the oil back, it's so depressing.

How old are you? Accutane is supposed to have the opposite effect I believe, and my hair is dry while on it, but always goes back to normal once I go off of it.

I am 29 but have always been mistaken for at least 5 years younger or more with oily skin. Now I don't think so! I have been off Accutane for at least two and a half months and my hair is fried. I think my acne was too mild to warrant taking it. Perhaps your acne was stronger than mine and you have regained normal oil-function or something like that. I haven't and I live in hope that I will return to normal function, not unbearable dryness. What do you think? TIA!

I am 29 but have always been mistaken for at least 5 years younger or more with oily skin. Now I don't think so! I have been off Accutane for at least two and a half months and my hair is fried. I think my acne was too mild to warrant taking it. Perhaps your acne was stronger than mine and you have regained normal oil-function or something like that. I haven't and I live in hope that I will return to normal function, not unbearable dryness. What do you think? TIA!

I'm still on Accutane -- almost done, and this is my fourth time taking it, but I have never experienced any lasting side effects. While on Accutane, my hair does get dry, and to help with that I load up my hair with deep conditioner and leave it in. It sounds odd, but my hair looks and feels great ... not greasy at all, and it helps with the breakage. Two and a half months isn't too long. Hopefully it will get better for you. Is this your first and only time on Accutane???

Hi Ani,

Yes this is my only time on Accutane. I'm actually even considering hormone therapy because I find this dryness so bad, but that's a bit upsetting too because it's risky. I hope I am not sounding annoying, I'm just quite devastated because I slather on the moisturiser but my hair and skin look like (as I have read from another poster)dead.

Hi Ani,

Yes this is my only time on Accutane. I'm actually even considering hormone therapy because I find this dryness so bad, but that's a bit upsetting too because it's risky. I hope I am not sounding annoying, I'm just quite devastated because I slather on the moisturiser but my hair and skin look like (as I have read from another poster)dead.

No you are not sounding annoying...

I would give it some time before trying anything like hormone therapy. That's pretty serious stuff. What does your derm say? Do your derm think the oily-ness should be back by now??? What made you decide to go on Accutane if your acne was only mild? Did you do an entire 6 month treatment? and what kind of dose were you on?

Hi Ani,

No you are not sounding annoying...

I would give it some time before trying anything like hormone therapy. That's pretty serious stuff. What does your derm say? Do your derm think the oily-ness should be back by now??? What made you decide to go on Accutane if your acne was only mild? Did you do an entire 6 month treatment? and what kind of dose were you on?

Hi Ani,

I only took it for approx 1 month and a half but I didn't follow directions properly, ie at first I took double my dose because I thought it was not working and then tapered off to the proper dose (a low dose) and didn't finish the course at all (I was supposed to take it approx 2 and a half months). I guess I figured I had taken enough by then. I'm going to speak to my derm tomorrow. My derm put me on it after looking at my skin and I complained about in the past that antibiotics had not worked. I also said that the BCP was not effective but I had not been taking it before I broke out in the acne. When I took the BCP I never got acne but I still used to break out quite frequently. I guess I have been irresponsible there (the double dose thing). I really wanted to get rid of the acne in a hurry. What do you think? I have to go to bed now but I would like to keep chatting so I'll post a reply tomorrow if that's OK.

I had this sorta. My skin was oilier than anything you can even imagine. I didn't wear moisturizer on Accutane and I got little smile lines and my hair was so dry and frizzled it curled into ringlets.

The oil will come back. Guaranteed. Just use a heavy moisturizer until.

you need to be honest with your derm about what you have done so that he nmay be abke to figure out how to help you. Accuntane is nothing to play around with. The effects you are having are not the result of the accutane but of your own doing. If you are not honest with the derm about your acne he cant help you.

Hi Ani,

I only took it for approx 1 month and a half but I didn't follow directions properly, ie at first I took double my dose because I thought it was not working and then tapered off to the proper dose (a low dose) and didn't finish the course at all (I was supposed to take it approx 2 and a half months). I guess I figured I had taken enough by then. I'm going to speak to my derm tomorrow. My derm put me on it after looking at my skin and I complained about in the past that antibiotics had not worked. I also said that the BCP was not effective but I had not been taking it before I broke out in the acne. When I took the BCP I never got acne but I still used to break out quite frequently. I guess I have been irresponsible there (the double dose thing). I really wanted to get rid of the acne in a hurry. What do you think? I have to go to bed now but I would like to keep chatting so I'll post a reply tomorrow if that's OK.

How much did you take per day? I'm sure you know now, but you shouldn't be doubling the dose. Accutane's a pretty serious drug. You should only take it as prescribed. I have to agree with the other poster regarding telling your derm. They might have some better advice. I guess if I were you I'd only hope that you weren't on it long enough to cause any permanent or long term damage of any sort. Most treatments run 6 months and some much longer. A two month treatment is very short, and long term success rates are probably low on that short of a treatment. I took 80mg/day for 6 months, and I'm 135lbs. Your dosage is based on your weight. I really think the oil will come back in your skin. Just use lots of lotion in the interim, use mild products and sunscreen. I would even stay away from make-up for a while if you can cuz that always dried out my skin horribly while on accutane. I have to discourage you from hormone therapy cuz that just scares me. Of course, I haven't done much (actually no) research in that area, but messing with your hormones .... that just scares me.

There is a product called Redkin Extreme Anti-Snap that my friend recommended to me when my hair was dry and breaking off everywhere that is pretty good. I, in my infinite wisdom, decided to color my hair platinum blonde while on accutane. Talk about some breakage and split ends. Let's just say I have really short hair now ... and not exactly by choice. :D

Hi Ani,

How much did you take per day? I'm sure you know now, but you shouldn't be doubling the dose. Accutane's a pretty serious drug. You should only take it as prescribed. I have to agree with the other poster regarding telling your derm. They might have some better advice. I guess if I were you I'd only hope that you weren't on it long enough to cause any permanent or long term damage of any sort. Most treatments run 6 months and some much longer. A two month treatment is very short, and long term success rates are probably low on that short of a treatment. I took 80mg/day for 6 months, and I'm 135lbs. Your dosage is based on your weight. I really think the oil will come back in your skin. Just use lots of lotion in the interim, use mild products and sunscreen. I would even stay away from make-up for a while if you can cuz that always dried out my skin horribly while on accutane. I have to discourage you from hormone therapy cuz that just scares me. Of course, I haven't done much (actually no) research in that area, but messing with your hormones .... that just scares me.

There is a product called Redkin Extreme Anti-Snap that my friend recommended to me when my hair was dry and breaking off everywhere that is pretty good. I, in my infinite wisdom, decided to color my hair platinum blonde while on accutane. Talk about some breakage and split ends. Let's just say I have really short hair now ... and not exactly by choice. :D

Thanks for your advice Ani and I will try what you have recommended. I have also read the other posts and I do agree with them also. Thanks for your replies.