Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Guppy

Sugar Causing Acne?

I have mild acne and I'd really rather not have to see a doctor or use over-the-counter medicines. I've been avoiding sugar and excessive fat for a little while but it's hard to tell if or to what extent the diet is helping. For starters I don't have the intuition to regocnize whether my acne got worse overnight or if I'm just seeing my old acne which is taking a while to go away; it seems slightly better but it's hard to evaluate without long periods of waiting. On top of that I'm experimenting with other tips and home remedies so I don't know if noted changes should be attributed to my diet or something else, and if I try everything by itself that would take forever.

I've heard a lot of stories (despite weak evidence and counter-examples) about sugar (among other things) causing acne. I'm interested in any info/stories about the effects of dieting, but more specifically I was wondering how much sugar (like in grams) I should try to limit myself to when experimenting. I know the statistics vary, but I have like no intuition at all here, so any kind of numbers would be highly welcome.

Any other tips would be welcome. Can excercise for instance help acne or should this be regarded as a fallacy? How about all those salt/toothpaste washing techniques? I know there's already lots of info on this site and others, but since they're so controversial I'd really value the opinion of you knowledgable people. :cool:

Thanks! :clap:

sugar tends to increase insulin levels which increase testosterone which increases oil production and can lead to increase in acne.

also some people suffer from candida and they can benefit from doing a cleanse because sugar feeds the candida and can make it worse

Hi Guppy,

I just wanted to tell you about my experience with diet and acne. I really think there is a connection, but it's a different one for each person. And then again, for some people, diet has nothing to do with their acne. Anyway, about me...

I was suffering with moderate to sometimes severe acne on my face for a while before I discovered what was causing my acne. I tried prescription meds and over-the-counter meds and still had the acne... along with a very dry face from all the chemicals. Then, after reading some posts about diets' possible influence on acne, I did some experimenting. You see, right about the time my acne was getting really bad I had been eating a lot of artificial sweeteners, specifically Splenda, so I decided to go without for a few days and see what happened. Amazingly, after just one day, my face started looking better. By the end of the week, a lot of the big, red pimples I was getting on my forehead and chin were shrinking. I am not exaggerating the effects; this is truly what happened for me. Since then, which was about 6 months ago, I use no A.S, which was hard, because almost every sweet thing I ate was artificially sweetened, including gum and sodas.

But this wasn't the end to my diet change, for although my face looked tons better, I was still getting some mild acne on a regular basis. So, even though it killed me to do it, I cut out dairy. I love cheese and ice cream and caramels and butter. I'm also a vegetarian, and dairy made up a large portion of my diet. But for the sake of my face, I gave it up to see what would happen. Again, a big change happened. The rest of the pimples started shrinking and soon after disappeared. No little bumps on my chin, no large, red monstrosities on my forehead. They were all gone.

That's my story. Now I live dairy and A.R. free. It can be difficult to pass up pizza and those calorie free sodas, but it's worth it. I even feel better in general :D. I also have a fairly strict washing regime that I have created for myself.

I do still get the occasional pimple, but after only a couple days they're gone again. Hope this helps you in your info search, and I hope you find what's contributing to your acne problems. It really is trial and error, and everyone has something different to deal with.

sugar tends to increase insulin levels which increase testosterone which increases oil production and can lead to increase in acne.

I think we can say that we've already laid that idea safely to rest. At least the part of it that always goes something like this: "I pigged-out on apple pie last night (or ice cream, or candy bars, or whatever), and I woke up this morning with a zit, because all that sugar caused me to increase my testosterone which then caused increased sebum production which then increased my acne." It clearly doesn't work that way. Even taking large doses of testosterone DIRECTLY doesn't increase acne during the next day or two. It takes a lot longer than that. If the above scenario (getting a zit from eating sugar) really happens at all and is not just the product of a fertile imagination, then it happens by some mechanism other than the one described. It clearly isn't due to an increase in testosterone.

also some people suffer from candida and they can benefit from doing a cleanse because sugar feeds the candida and can make it worse

If sugar "feeds" candida, then so do ALL carbohydrates.

Bryan

^^^^

Yes this is where I am ignorant about candida. Why would some carbs feed candida yet others wouldn't? They all turn into the same forms of energy anyway right? It just seems like some carbs would give the candida a lot right away and some would give it a constant supply. Is that why it is so hard to get rid of(Yeast needs sugar to thrive and so do you).

Yes this is where I am ignorant about candida. Why would some carbs feed candida yet others wouldn't? They all turn into the same forms of energy anyway right?

Exactly. They're all metabolized into simple sugars anyway, so what do people THINK they're accomplishing when they avoid dietary sugar, but not other carbs? ;)

Bryan

I guess I'll just stop eating for good then....

You must be a glass-half-empty kind of guy! ;)

The take-home message, of course, is that eating sugar (as opposed to eating complex carbohydrates) doesn't have certain of the bad effects that some people allege.

Bryan