Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
princess_nannan

artificial sweeteners and acne

Has anyone noticed a correlation? I know they're not exactly healthy but do they have any impact on skin and acne? And would splenda be better for me, since it's made out of real sugar instead of other chemicals?

Has anyone noticed a correlation? I know they're not exactly healthy but do they have any impact on skin and acne? And would splenda be better for me, since it's made out of real sugar instead of other chemicals?

I use splenda and stevia because I have candida and avoid all sugars. I've heard splenda is bad for acne but I'm not sure really; I mainly drink the Diet Hansens sodas every once in a while, they are sweetened only with splenda.

Has anyone found that Splenda definitely causes them breakouts? [ like a strict elmination diet and introduction of splenda holding all other things equal? ]

- Eric

I use splenda and stevia because I have candida and avoid all sugars.

Really? Do you also avoid all carbohydrates? If not, why not? You DO know that the end-result of all carbohydrate metabolism is simple sugars, right?

Bryan

Hey everyone,

I have noticed a definite correlation between artifical sweeteners (A.S.) and acne for myself, especially Splenda. I was using it for a while, to sweeten my coffee and even to sweeten my yogurt. I also ate lots of artifically sweetened products, like ice cream, soda, gum, candy, and yogurt. Right around this time I also saw a marked increase in the severity and amount of acne. I didn't immediately make the connection, since I usually always had some acne on my face even before the A.S. boom. Anyway, one day it occured to me that there might be some correlation and decided to test it. After about a week, the big pimples had shrunk, the little pimples were almost gone, and no new ones had appeared. It was miraculous.

Now, I'm not saying everyone will see such a dramatic difference in their acne; some may see no difference at all, but it worked for me. I have been A.S. free for about six months and will never look back. I also ended up giving up dairy, because even though eliminating A.S.'s helped, the acne wasn't completely gone until I cut out the dairy.

Hope this helps.

-Adara

Wow, I had no idea splenda was supposedly the worst. I haven't noticed a huge increase in acne since I started using it, and I don't think I would be able to go completely AS free. I've cut back on diet coke, just drinking some at night now, whereas I used to go through a 2 liter every other day. I'm not using the splenda-sweetened one though, that one tastes too much like regular coke for my tastes, way too sweet. My acne is clearing up pretty well right now, but if I plateau I'll test that.

princess_nannan,

If you want to read some more about Splenda's role in other people's diet you can do a search for the word Splenda on this website. Just type "Splenda" for the keyword and search in all the forums. You'll see a lot of varying opinions about it's use, but overall there's some interesting info about it's harmful effects.

-Adara

i also consume too much AS and i wonder too if it has a correlation. i cut out sugar and started eating some sugar free things to quench any cravings i would still get for something sugary. so how do u guys cut out the sugar free stuff?

i also consume too much AS and i wonder too if it has a correlation. i cut out sugar and started eating some sugar free things to quench any cravings i would still get for something sugary. so how do u guys cut out the sugar free stuff?

stevia