Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hi! My name is Jennifer. I am new to this board, and wanted to introduce myself. I am 26, and live just outside of St Louis MO. I have recently begun taking Accutane (Claravis) last week, and am anxious to meet others who are going through the same thing. I have read a few logs, and they have been helpful. I feel like I am in this "alone" since I don't know many people who have taken it, much less understand it. So I promise, I am going to have quite a few questions in the future!

I have been dealing with acne since I was young. I remember the first time I ever got a cyst was in fourth grade (10 y/o)! Over the next few years, I would get persistant acne in select areas of my face. It started out really bad on my forehead. The parents weren't too sympathetic about it, because "its a fact of life". They just encouraged me to wash more with soap; mind you they bought Dial Gold! I remember days in high school when I just literally did not want to get out of bed and go to school because I was embarrased of my skin. My parents would not take me to a dermatologist. I remember picking, squeezing, digging, anything to get rid of the monsters. I would get cysts that never came to a head, and they would hurt. I tried makeup to cover them up, only to make it look worse. I developed an inferiority complex that even now as an adult, I have yet to overcome.

When I turned 18 and started working full-time with my OWN medical insurance, one of the first things I did was make a dermatologist appointment. My first appointment, I discovered that what I had thought were whiteheads was really "flatwarts"! So the doctor prescribed me Klaron, Retin-A, and a tetracycline antibiotic. I was able to get rid of the warts, but this was the first of many medicinal attempts to become acne-free. My list of drugs that I have taken includes: Retin-A (green tube), Retin-A (orange-tube), Retin-A Micro, Klaron, Differin, Tazarac, BenzaClin, Duac, Pro-Activ, TetraCyclin, Minocyclin, Doxycyclin, Cephadroxil, Amoxicillin. I and I can't count anymore after that!

I am getting married next June 10th, and I want nothing more than to be a clear skinned bride. My doctor suggested Accutane as the last resort. So Monday November 7th was my first dose. I should be on it for the next 5 months. This puts me at finishing in April. I am hoping my skin will be clear and NOT DRY by then! I miss my waxing and tanning, but can live without for right now. So here is what I am doing. Please let me know if I can do something better!

*40mg Claravis TWO times a day

*Washing with Cetaphil in blue bottle

*Moisturizing with Neutrogena Sensitive (Cetaphil in green is too oily)

*1 Vit E capsule a day

*Carmex for lips

If there are any products that are better that you can think of, please advise! And nice to meet everyone!

Guest Poker-Butt

welcum....hope ur accutane session goes swell...and u get clear fast! :)