Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I was just thinking that for all the acne research that has been carried out over the last 25 years since Accutane appeared, there hasn't been anything else that groundbreaking. All we seem to get is new spins on old medications, like new retinoids and new topical antibiotics, although I think the last new retinoid was Differin and that came out 10 years ago. Lasers have been cited as a possible solution over the last coupla years, but theres not many success stories from using these. I just can't wait for some new revolutionary acne treatment to come out, but at the moment theres nothing on the horizon

I was just thinking that for all the acne research that has been carried out over the last 25 years since Accutane appeared, there hasn't been anything else that groundbreaking. All we seem to get is new spins on old medications, like new retinoids and new topical antibiotics, although I think the last new retinoid was Differin and that came out 10 years ago. Lasers have been cited as a possible solution over the last coupla years, but theres not many success stories from using these. I just can't wait for some new revolutionary acne treatment to come out, but at the moment theres nothing on the horizon

yes there is. It's called HEAT. That is all the lasers do, they heat your glands to damage them. It all comes down to what you can stand. Hot water and sunlight are the number one fighters of acne for me. And for several friends of mine whom I recommended my techniques.

Guest james11

With a body like that mate, you must get some! Any workout suggestions?

With a body like that mate, you must get some! Any workout suggestions?

haha well thanks bro, i would be more than happy to share, email me if you're really interested.

but as for heat, i believe there are a few products designed SPECIFICALLY to kill acne bacteria with HEAT. There are lots of good things about heat, and unless your skin is burning, the heat is good. As is the cold. I'm sure you can find plenty of good information pertaining to this. If your skin breaks out MORE from heat, that just means it isnt HOT ENOUGH. The bacteria thrive in heat, but die in excess of heat. Like I have said before, it all comes down to just HOW BAD you want your blemishes to go away.

and saying you should "protect" your skin from the sun is foolish. That is a generalization. The sun is beneficial in many many ways. I am not saying to burn yourself. I am saying to make sure you get sunlight. There was no such thing as sunblock in human history untill relatively recently. We as humans have lived under the sun always.

What it is going to come down to no matter what is your internal health.

Hmm perhaps you're on to something there.

I always used to wash with hot water in the shower(too lazy to change temperatures) then run cold at the end on my face, and I seemed to have a few larger spots, but not really any smaller ones, and my skin wasn't peeling or flaking.

now that I only seem to wash it cold I've got a larger number of smaller spots, lots of flaking skin and no bigger ones.

elavin: mind if I PM you for some suggestions?

I seem to have gotten rather stuck lately, and I'm not sure why.

I was just thinking that for all the acne research that has been carried out over the last 25 years since Accutane appeared, there hasn't been anything else that groundbreaking.

The new visible red/blue light treatments are pretty good though. They work for 70% of the population, have little to no negative side-effects, seem to be better than BP in the literature, and they're easier and less messy to apply.

I was just thinking that for all the acne research that has been carried out over the last 25 years since Accutane appeared, there hasn't been anything else that groundbreaking.

The new visible red/blue light treatments are pretty good though. They work for 70% of the population, have little to no negative side-effects, seem to be better than BP in the literature, and they're easier and less messy to apply.

Isn't that painstakingly expensive though?

I havent come across any success stories from people using lasers. I wish it was that simple as just having to go and get blasted by lasers once a month. It would make my life so much easier, but alas, we're gonna have to carry on waiting a long time

Isn't that painstakingly expensive though?

If you get the home-use light boxes, it's about $200-$300 or so; but in my experience the equipment lasts maybe 4 years or so. So it's not much more expensive on average than BP, might well even work out cheaper (although Dan's stuff is pretty darn cost effective and very probably is cheaper); and the research says red/blue light works somewhat better.

For me personally, it's no contest because my skin is super sensitive, and it doesn't tolerate well being washed twice a day so that I can apply BP. So I have the choice of red skin or spots. The blue/red light treatments are incredibly kind to my skin; my skin tone only improves whilst I'm using it, no redness at all. In fact I miss it when I'm not using it.

If you go to the dermo office things get very pricey indeed; and I personally don't believe it works as well. I wouldn't recommend that unless you are getting ALA done or something (which is even more expensive, but is reported to shrink the pore giving long-term improvement in acne; but it doesn't always work either.)

I havent come across any success stories from people using lasers. I wish it was that simple as just having to go and get blasted by lasers once a month. It would make my life so much easier, but alas, we're gonna have to carry on waiting a long time

I'm not talking about lasers I'm talking about light boxes like:

http://www.beautyskinusa.com/howitworks.htm

These kind of products:

a) work

b) are cost effective if you have long term acne

c) are incredibly kind to the skin