Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
frank05

Hair loss months after accutane

I took Accutane a few months ago and now my scalp is a bit itchy sometimes and I´m starting to lose some hair, specially in the crown area (altough the loss is minimal).

How can I tell if my hair loss is due to the drug (and my hair would grow back with time) or if this is the start of male pattern hair loss?

Thank you for your help.

I took Accutane a few months ago and now my scalp is a bit itchy sometimes and I´m starting to lose some hair, specially in the crown area (altough the loss is minimal).

How can I tell if my hair loss is due to the drug (and my hair would grow back with time) or if this is the start of male pattern hair loss?

Thank you for your help.

Frank...you read my mind. I'm having the exact same problem and I'm wondering the exact same thing...is it the Tane or just regular loss? I've been off the meds for about 5 months now and my hair (both scalp and body) is coming out? CAN SOMEONE PLEASE HELP US OUT!!!???

My experience with Accutane hairloss:

Hair started shedding heavily during 2nd month of Accutane.

After Accutane, the shedding decreased immediately, but continued nonetheless, at an ever milder level.

12 months after Accuatne, the shedding stopped completely, almost the same day I start breaking out again.

So, basically,as long as Accutane was controlling my acne, during and after treatment, I was losing some hair. The second I start getting breakouts again the hair stops coming out.

Unfortunately very few people know that accutane can trigger both temporary and permanent hair loss in some users, male or female. I don't know how often it happens though and what kind of hairloss is more prevalent.

MPB/FPB is genetic and unless you begin and respond to treatment it is unavoidable. But certain triggers can cause MPB/FPB to start ahead schedule. MPB/FPB is when your hair grows back finer, slower, and shorter till you can't see it or it stops growing.

Telogen Effluvium is when you temporarily shed more hair than usual due to a shock/stress to your system as a whole. It causes the look of baldness if you shed more than you regrow. Some people say that if the shed hairs have white bulbs attached to them, then it's from TE. Hair lost due to TE will eventually grow back. (Unless TE triggers MPB/FPB...isn't that screwed up?)

If you noticed that your hair is growing back slower and finer, and especially since you're losing it in the crown, it sounds like male pattern baldness to me. On the otherside, if your scalp is itchy/flaky/irritated then it's common to temporarily lose more hair than normal until you correct the problem. But unless your crown was the only irritated spot, it sounds like both MPB and TE. I know it's cliche but the only way to know for sure is to wait it out. It can take up to a year for TE to resolve itself.

How long ago and for how long were you on accutane? And could you say that you've been superstressed the past year or been in an accident or been really sick or taken any other medications?

Shampoos like Selsun (sp?) Blue, HEad and Shoulders, and Nizoral will help repair your scalp (but don't overuse). But since you were on accutane I strongly suggest you check with your derm if it's okay for you to use because i heard it's bad to exfoliate your skin (scalp being skin kinda i guess) while on or soon after being on accutane. If you can't use the chemicals in the shampoos I'm sure there's lots of other ways to safely soothe your scalp.

As for treating MPB, you can check with your derm on your next visit, but very few derms, even hair-loss specific ones know what the heck they're talking about. Basically they're going to suggest minoxidil/Rogaine (helps regrow hair for some people, but usually little...at least helps retain) and maybe prescribe Propecia (taken orally, but be wary of side effects...this drug slows down your shedding).

Although rogaine isn't a miracle drug by any means, the good news is that it works the best in the crown area (doesn't work for all people though). Bad news is you have to stick with rogaine and/or propecia forever, once u stop your hair will revert back to how it should have been at the present time had you not started using the drugs in the first place.

Also, to promote a healthy scalp and get rid of flakes from applying rogaine (and also to help increase the diameter of your hairshafts), use OTC nizoral shampoo approximately 3x a week. If you're not using rogaine, I don't know how often you should use nizoral. Maybe once a week?

And also, taking vitamins and having a diet high in protein and essential fats are not only very beneficial to your skin but will also help you have better looking thicker hair to combat that you are losing some.

One thing that sucks is that on the onset of rogaine and nizoral your hair will shed at a faster rate at the beginning, but that indicates that it's working because it's activating your hair follicles so don't quit after that initial shed otherwise you would've just fastforwarded your shedding by like a couple of weeks for no reason.

Dude, if you think balding will really bother you down the line, the faster you address the problem the better. Since you' were on accutane though definitely ask your derm about starting such treatments, and if he says wait a year till after you've stopped accutane by God follow his advice.

In my opinion, most girls really don't care, and most guys look fine bald and a lot of bald men are super sexy and super confident. So accepting it early on as a fact of life and being positive is probably the healthiest, least stressful (and most affordable) choice.

Sorry if I overshared or jumped to conclusions on your situation, I've always been long-winded. Hehe.

Hope some of it was useful! I'm not sure if it's the best site but it's a pretty good one: hairlosstalk.com

Edited by novagirl

Do you ever get the feeling god doesn't like you?

The treatment for acne (Accutane) causes hairloss.

The treatment for hairloss (Propecia) causes acne.

Acne has destroyed my appearance, but in so many more ways than would be obvious. It's been a terrible domino effect.

First there is the acne itself. That kills your appearance right there. But that's just the beginning. For example, when you have acne you can't wear sunscreen/moisturizers to protect your skin because it will break you out, so after years of having to go without protection your skin starts to look like hell generally, on top of having acne. Then you realize you are scarring. So you have to face the fact that even if your acne problem resolves, the aftermath is going to be just as troubling for your appearance (probably more so) and will last you the rest of your life.

So you get on Accutane. Accutane causes your hair to fall out and accelerates the aging process, so when you're done your skin is indeed clear but it just ain't the same. It's thin, delicate, and sort of "dead."Accutane wrecks you physically, too, so you can no longer exercise or work out and you end up losing a bunch of weight and your physical appearance suffers even more.

So by 26 you look like a wasted, limp-haired, acne-scarred, shell of your former self. All because of acne. Acne itself is just the beginning of your appearance problems.

What I'm saying is, if I had never had acne (or if it had at least gone away at 19,20), it's not just that I would be sitting here the same person without acne. I would be a completely different person.

Unfortunately very few people know that accutane can trigger both temporary and permanent hair loss in some users, male or female.

Permanent hair loss has never shown up in the studies. Temporary hair loss is uncommon but not rare.

Do you ever get the feeling god doesn't like you?

The treatment for acne (Accutane) causes hairloss.

The treatment for hairloss (Propecia) causes acne.

Acne has destroyed my appearance, but in so many more ways than would be obvious. It's been a terrible domino effect.

First there is the acne itself. That kills your appearance right there. But that's just the beginning. For example, when you have acne you can't wear sunscreen/moisturizers to protect your skin because it will break you out, so after years of having to go without protection your skin starts to look like hell generally, on top of having acne. Then you realize you are scarring. So you have to face the fact that even if your acne problem resolves, the aftermath is going to be just as troubling for your appearance (probably more so) and will last you the rest of your life.

So you get on Accutane. Accutane causes your hair to fall out and accelerates the aging process, so when you're done your skin is indeed clear but it just ain't the same. It's thin, delicate, and sort of "dead."Accutane wrecks you physically, too, so you can no longer exercise or work out and you end up losing a bunch of weight and your physical appearance suffers even more.

So by 26 you look like a wasted, limp-haired, acne-scarred, shell of your former self. All because of acne. Acne itself is just the beginning of your appearance problems.

What I'm saying is, if I had never had acne (or if it had at least gone away at 19,20), it's not just that I would be sitting here the same person without acne. I would be a completely different person.

I'm 23 mate and that's exactly how I feel. I am a good looking chap and have a decent physique I've been told many a time, but acne has continued to ruin everything. Nobody would be here if they didnb't have acne quite obviously. But if I didn't, I wouldn't even be on this sodding computer, I'd be down the pub with my best mates getting mashed every night and shagging vast quantities of women, until I find one I love of course. It does inhibit us so much. My overall conclusion of acne............

"It makes us walk in the shadows of our own true-self"

beentheredonethat,

i see what you're saying, but what i was saying is that if you're prewired for genetic hair loss (which is permanent hair loss unless you respond to treatment), then accutane can be what triggers the process to start. you would lose your hair eventually anyways but accutane may start the process earlier. if you're not genetically prewired then your loss will be temporary.

Unfortunately very few people know that accutane can trigger both temporary and permanent hair loss in some users, male or female.

Permanent hair loss has never shown up in the studies. Temporary hair loss is uncommon but not rare.

If you go onto the roche website and look up accutane, take a look at the side effects...it's a huge report but it states that permanent alopecia has been seen due to accutane. There are people on these boards and other boards that I have talked via PM that will testify that this is permanent for some people, or long enough to the point where your hair is non existent and then the hair loss stops.

hell they can do hair implants of real hair for people going bald. easy cure.

Accutane usually causes thinning ALL over ones scalp, so you can not take hair from one area (e.g. the back of your head where MPB doesn't usually affect), so in essence you just taking hair from one thinned area and putting it in a more needed area, thus causing the area you took the hair from to be thinned out. Besides, this does not cure the root problem. You will still have the accutane poisoning inside you still and you will still lose hair. So basically you will lose all of the hair you transplanted after x amount of months and you're back to square one with a lighter wallet.

Also, there are many risks associated with this procedure (nerve endings may be messed up and you may ruin your scalp to the point where it can not be fixed). I don't know all of them but I have done some research and I know that this is not a 100% safe procedure.

Along with the possible risks, this usually costs thousands of dollars and many of us are not able to afford that type of treatment. So, it's not such an easy cure after all...unfortunately

Smurf

BTW I´ve noticed that I also lose from the sides of my head and that some of the hairs that I lose have a white bulb on their end.

Does anyone know what this means?

If you go onto the roche website and look up accutane, take a look at the side effects...it's a huge report but it states that permanent alopecia has been seen due to accutane.

Telogen effluvium is a type of alopecia. And it says that sometimes it PERSISTS, not that it's permanent. Telogen effluvium often doesn't begin until after treatment is over and can take about a year after it begins for hair to return to normal. That accounts for your side effect entry which is the lone mention of alopecia that i found in Roche's product information. And i'm sorry, but the anecdotal claims of faceless internet denizens don't count as proof of anything in my book - at best it can indicate a hypothesis that needs testing. Show me a study where hair loss resulting from Accutane did not follow the telogen effluvium pattern and was permanent (persisting at least 5 years after treatment) and i'll happily retract previous statements to the contrary.

i see what you're saying, but what i was saying is that if you're prewired for genetic hair loss (which is permanent hair loss unless you respond to treatment), then accutane can be what triggers the process to start. you would lose your hair eventually anyways but accutane may start the process earlier. if you're not genetically prewired then your loss will be temporary.

I'll buy that as a possibility - but then Accutane still did not cause the permanent hair loss, it accelerated existing hair loss.