Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
splooge

What exactly is exfoliation and how do you do it?

I got this from a website:

Exfoliation is the process of scrubbing off dead skin cells to reveal and expose "younger," fresher skin. The shedding process unclogs pores, keeps skin clean and helps reduce acne breakouts.

Never use a brush to wash your face. You can use a very soft cloth if you like but the hands are sufficent. I tend to use a Cleanser with Salicylic Acid..some cleansers are exfoliators and does the job perfectly.

Doing facial masks that contain alpha hydroxy acids also helps exfoliate the skin and remove dead skin.

What about for the body?

They sell body washes that contain hydroxy acids also :D Personally my skin is stronger below my neck so I use a brush to scrub my back... thankfully I don't suffer from acne on my chest, back and other places.

Never use a brush to wash your face. You can use a very soft cloth if you like but the hands are sufficent. I tend to use a Cleanser with Salicylic Acid..some cleansers are exfoliators and does the job perfectly.

What do you mean never use a brush? Quite possibly the best method of exfoliation was found to be using a brush! Jess's method is AWESOME for exfoliating. In fact, I'd actually say a cloth would be more irritating (explained later) than a brush, with hands being less irritating but less effective.

A brush is your best bet. Not just any brush, though. Make sure it has soft bristles, yet firm enough ones that they will actually do something to exfoliate. Lightly (KEY WORD) using a brush on your face gently takes away the dead skin cells and fades uneven color texture marks.

A cloth, however, would seem to be more rough. Clothes would seem to just scrape at the face, where brushes actually remove the dirt carefully (think a toothbrush removing plaque, and soap being the toothpaste for your face).

Hands are your happy median. They don't irritate at all, but they won't give you the awesome exfoliating powers of a brush.

A brush isn't that good, it's rough on your face and it rips the skin of essential oils.

And thats one of the reason's why I don't do it lol

But my skin is normal to sensitive..if I were to use a brush my skin would turn out red regardless how soft the brush brissles is. From the years of me dealing with my acne and my personal experience a brush is too harsh to use for washing your face.