Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
.brian.

To start or not to start, that is the question

i have been suffering with minor acne for about 7 years now. i had tried every OTC product as well as just about every kind of antibiodic/cream/gel etc and nothing seemed to get rid of my stubborn acne. i have been reading a lot of logs in here, and they really have me considering going on accutane.

i usually have about 4-8 pimples at any given time, i know it is not major, but it is just enough to piss me off and make me very self concious. i want to wake up and not have any pimples/whiteheads etc.

i am currently on the regimen, but am not seeing any real results (i know i have only been on it for about 3 weeks now) but i was using BP before and did not see any improvement.

basically, i really cannot decide if accutane is right for me or not. the real reason i never went on it before is the fact that you have to get blood taken every month. for some reason i did not feel like doing it, and that was the only reason i never went on it before.

if i start now and stop the regimen now, and have a 5 month cycle, which seems very common, i would be done by the end of school/beg. of summer. if i continue with the regimen for 3 months, then realize i did not see the results i was hoping for on that, that is 3 months wasted that i could have been on accutane. this would push me back and i would not finish the 5 month cycle until the end of summer/beg of school next year.

also, my 21st is in march, and i would really like to be clear for that. that would be such a great feeling.

so if anyone with mild acne has been using/is currently using accutane, can you please chime in with any advice you might have? TIA. and sorry this post was so long, i just do not know what to do. :think:

If I were you, I'd go for it now. Of course, your dermatologist would have some input. But if your 21st is in March, you'll probably start drinking more. Did you know when you're on Accutane, you're supposed to watch your intake because of the damage that could be done to your liver? Also, since the sun is more damaging in the summer months, you'd be more at risk, so it'd be nice to be done by then. That's just my advice.

I think you'll get used to the blood tests. After the first couple of times, it's not a big deal anymore. And it's only temporary.

I also never had any luck with BP. I never followed the regimen, but BP made my skin so peely that I never stuck with it.

Good luck!

hahah i drink a considerable amount now, but i have no problems stopping for a few months in order to take accutane.

you make an excellent point about the sun, and if i start now i would be done by summer. this is also something i thought about and figured it would work nicely.

thank you for the input.

i would just go to a dermatologist and ask him if you're a candidate for accutane. sometimes the acne doesn't have to be really severe to qualify for accutane, some derms will prescribe it if you're acne is non-responsive to other treatments. i'm in my 2nd month of accutane, and the breakouts are bad but it makes me happy to know that the accutane is working. good luck.

i would just go to a dermatologist and ask him if you're a candidate for accutane. sometimes the acne doesn't have to be really severe to qualify for accutane, some derms will prescribe it if you're acne is non-responsive to other treatments. i'm in my 2nd month of accutane, and the breakouts are bad but it makes me happy to know that the accutane is working. good luck.

i have been going to a derm for the last 4 years. i was told about accutane and all of the risks, and how i really did not need it, but could go on it if my acne bothered me too much. well before, it never really did, because i just thought it would go away with the bountiful amount of products i would get from the derm, so i told him i can deal and not to go on accutane. 7 years later, and this annoying problem still lingering, i have decided enough is enough. no more spending hundreds of dollars trying OTC products that do nothing. no more wasting months trying every product the derm throws at me. right now, i have about 4 small pimples (red) and about 5-6 redmarks that just will not go away. basically, i always wake up to 2-3 new pimples every day, for the last 7 years. i cannot remember the last time my face was actaully clear, with no pimples. it has to be going back to middle school years (8+ years)