Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I was told by the manager where I work that an older man we know who works here had been diagnosed with cancer and only had a few months to live. Apparently he had broken down crying when he told him.

I've known this for a while, but today was the first time he came to see me for something and I got to speak to him directly. He said he was not feeling well. He claimed to have trouble walking, and also mentioned that it was difficult when you had never known being sick and then you suddenly do.

I felt really sad that he wasn't feeling well, even if he is older and it may be considered more normal to many. I don't think it's always easier, though some have learned to come to terms with their eventual deaths. Still, what if they did not feel ready yet?

For some reason it made me think of a movie I will always remember watching called My Life Without Me. It was moving, and just made me think about those who are told they only have a certain time left to live and how they must feel. I wonder if most people would prefer to know that they are sick to that point, or would prefer not knowing. I can understand how both might be a good choice for different people. And would most share the news with their loved ones?

What if this was the case for you or someone you knew and loved? What if they knew and didn't tell you?

What about dying in general? Does it scare you, or have you come to accept it?

I wanted to offer that man a bit of comfort if I could, in some way, but I didn't quite know how except to listen and sympathize.

*I'm sorry this isn't related to acne.

Guest Freaky_T

Do you know what it is that scares you about it?

Isn't death an adequate enough answer? I know there's nothing beyond death, so what is scary is that you won't be around any more...

Guest Freaky_T

I asked because I didn't want to assume. There can be different reasons for fearing death.

I disagree, I think they all boil down to the exact same thing. All human feelings are derived from fear, including love. Feelings about death aren't any different.

I asked because I didn't want to assume. There can be different reasons for fearing death.

I disagree, I think they all boil down to the exact same thing. All human feelings are derived from fear, including love. Feelings about death aren't any different.

Not everyone fears death, though.

For those who do, what I meant was that, for example, for some it may be the thought of everything being over once they die (if they do not believe in God), for some it's the thought of losing their loved ones - not seeing or spending time with them anymore.

For others it may be the fear of pain as they die, and for some the fear of the judgement that awaits them after they die (if they do believe in God). Some may even fear being forgotten. That's what I meant.

Guest Mish Mosh

anybody got any good jokes to lighten the mood?

i dont believe in any religion and I am not scared to die. I would prefer my death to be some years into the future after I have lived life, but if I'm an old man that will be okay with me. Why not just except the fact that u are going to die without putting up a stink. I will definately never die slowly from any disease thats for sure. This is a weird topic for an acne site isnt it?

Guest charyan

anybody got any good jokes to lighten the mood?

Fool everyone into thinking you have just eaten an apple by rubbing your tummy and saying "Hmmm....that was a nice apple!"

I will definately never die slowly from any disease thats for sure.

What do you mean?

I know it's not related to acne, and I'm sorry. It was the situation with the man that got me to thinking about this again, and I was wondering how all of you felt about this subject.

I know some people here have already experienced lows so intense that they have considered ending their own lives. So even though those situations are not related to sickness per say, they still involve death.

I didn't mean for this to be a sad thread. Sorry to anyone if the subject is one that is down.

I would fear dying today because im only 16, but if i was 76 or 80 or 90 years old and lived a good life, raised a family i wouldnt fear death, i am just scared of what comes after it.

Guest Freaky_T

Not everyone fears death, though.

For those who do, what I meant was that, for example, for some it may be the thought of everything being over once they die (if they do not believe in God), for some it's the thought of losing their loved ones - not seeing or spending time with them anymore.

For others it may be the fear of pain as they die, and for some the fear of the judgement that awaits them after they die (if they do believe in God). Some may even fear being forgotten. That's what I meant.

This is why God exists though, as a coping mechanism for that fear. When people claim they don't fear death, all it tells me is that they have adopted such a coping mechanism.

I see what you mean.

But what about those who do not believe in God, and feel liberated because of it? There are some who do not believe in God but still believe in morality, and others who don't. For those who don't, they might not worry about right or wrong, and might not be afraid of consequences, and as a result, perhaps not of death either. So maybe in their case not believing in God is their coping mechanism. What do you think?

We dont live forever thats for certain... I'll leave you with these interesting quotes i found:

A single death is a tragedy; a million deaths is a statistic

- Joseph Stalin

Nothing is certain but death and taxes. Of the two, taxes happen annually.

-Joel Fox

Life is pleasant. Death is peaceful. It's the transition that's troublesome.

- Isaac Asimov

Fear not death, for the sooner we die the longer we shall be immortal.

- Benjamin Franklin

Learn as if you were going to live forever. Live as if you were going to die tomorrow.

- Mahatma Gandhi

Fear not death, for the sooner we die the longer we shall be immortal.

- Benjamin Franklin

Learn as if you were going to live forever. Live as if you were going to die tomorrow.

- Mahatma Gandhi

I love these two quotes. *saved* :angel:

death doesn't scare me in the least...now dying, that scares me a little. Will it be painful? will i be alone? I know where my eternal soul is going and i'm at peace.

I'm not that scared about my self dying, but my family and people that I love, that scares me. My cousin passed away 2 years ago around this time of year, I miss him, but in a way I'm happy (not that best word) that he passed away, no more pain. The last time tha I saw him he was happy so that how I remember him.

Despite the fact that many people might have their own reasons for fearing death, i think that ultimately what scares us the most is the unknown of what happens after.