Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
exploit2002

Help please read

hi, i just turned 20 , and i have had acne since 15 , 5 frikin years of hideing, im really frustrated , nothing seems to work , even tried pro active from TV, i dont know what to do anymore, it deffinitly has affected my social life, i dont go out during the day cause im ashamed, and when i do go out, i put make up on (and im a guy), to hide it, and ok i hide the acne but then i have to worry about people telling that i wear make up and thinking im gay.i never went to a dermatologist, mostly cause i was always ashamed , and didnt want to admit i had acne, plus some other little stupid reasons.i finaly made an appointmet for the 22nd of july, but i dont to go and have the doctor tell me just to use some creams and good luck , ive struggled with this for a really long time, and i dont think i can do this anymore.....it was 4th of july yesterday and guess what i did , i stayed home and did nothing.im tiered of hideing, i just need some advice, what do i do , i tried benzoil peroxide 2.5 % also the 5% and the 10% , i wash my face 2 times a day , i even carry with me pads that obsorb the the oil off my face, nothing improves my acne, nothing.i dont know what else to do , im just tiered of all this shit, tiered of not having a girlfriend, tiered of hideing, tiered of waking up every morning and having to put on makup and tiered of staying home, and yeah u might say just go out and have fun and forget about the acne, well it dosent work like that i cant have fun knowing that this is what i have to deal with every fucking day of my life.thanks for reading , i really appreciate it

The regimen never worked for me...I don't think that it works for people with more oily skin, don't know why. My advice to you, is to see this dermatologist, tell him/her that you have tried BP and SA with no results and that you don't want to use antibiotics because they mess up your system and ask for a retinoid. It you have oily skin, you should benefit from Retin-A, Differin, Tazorac and, as a last resort of course, Accutane. I'm taking this route and hopefully I should be starting retinoid treatment next week. The regimen isn't so good for us with oily skin, because it does nothing to reduce oil production, so blackheads reamain, and skin stays crap. Retinoids are the only thing that can solve this problem....so ask for them, and give it a shot!

The regimen works extremely well on oily skin. However, it must be followed precisely for 1-2 months before judging its effectiveness. Do yourself a favor and give it a shot. http://www.acne.org/regimen.html

Retinoids never did anything for me personally. Also, retinoids work by stopping the walls of follicles from sticking together, not by reducing oil production. Accutane is the only medication as far as I know that reduces the size of oil glands.

-Dan

i have been using benzoil peroxide for 3 weeks now , dosent seem to work but i bought this supposedly acne fighting wash clothes that scrubb of the dead skin , i thought of it and maybe thats why it hasent cleared . so im going tonight to buy something else tonight , any other advice would be appreciated

Just using benzoyl peroxide is not enough. Have you strictly followed the regimen? Even if you have, it takes 1-2 full months of concentrated effort to see results in a lot of people.

-Dan

the thing is i put on make up , like b4 i got to bed wash my face and put benzoil peroxide, then i wake up wash my face and put make up on , cause i just cant go out looking the way i look , then as soon as i come home wash my face and and put benzoil peroxide and go to bed. i checked the make up brand and it sais that its oil free and dosent clog pores, could this make my acne worse ? i'll follow the regimen , but i need i need to put on cover up , and im too ashamed to look like this, what do i do, my dermatologist's apointment is on july 22nd, i couldnt get anything earlier, i called up like 4 places.what do i do

Your acne might be related to what you eat...it is for me.

Try a high protein/low carb/low fat diet. This type of diet will inhibit the 5 alpha reductase enzyme which converts testosterone to DHT. DHT has been shown to cause disorders in the sebaceous glands, even if you have normal testosterone levels. This leads to oily skin. Another thing you can do is supplement with Zinc gluconate (try taking 60 mg per day). Zinc has been shown to decrease the activity of this enzyme. In fact, Accutane also inhibits this enzyme, which might be why it only improves acne while on treatment.

Take me for example, I started a high protein/low carb/low fat diet and my oil has been reduced significatenly (3 days after starting it). I have to put on moisturizer now since my face gets so dry, and I used to have oily skin. Here's what I eat:

Breakfast

2 whole eggs, 3 egg whites

1 slice turkey breast

1/2 cup of cooked oatmeal (Quaker's Old Fashioned, no sugar added)

1 medium pear

Lunch

1 cup of boiled sweet potatoes

1 cup of chicken breast

1 glass of soy milk

Dinner

salad (lettuce, spinach, cauliflower, broccoli, mustard)

1 cup of chicken breast

1 apple

Drink 2 glasses of water with every meal and eat fruits in between meals (in moderation). The importance is to reduce your fat and carbs and increase your lean sources of protein. I also avoid dairy products (even whey protein) and sugar (like sodas, etc) and saturated fats since those things increase the activity of DHT.

I had to take Accutane 3 times and it cleared me up while on treatment but my acne came back afterwards. So I know what bad acne is.

Right now my face is 80-90% clear (got some red marks) and I dont use any medications. I don't even take supplements, but will start taking Zinc soon (to get 100% clear).

Foods that break me out are:

Pasta (even whole wheat)

Milk (even skim milk)

Rice (brown or rice)

Peanut butter (even natural)

I just read a message today in www.healthboards.com in the Acne forum about a girl who thought that DHT was the cause of her acne. She started taking 75 mg of Zinc gluconate and her acne cleared up 100% even while eating crap.

Give it a try you have nothing to lose, good luck buddy.

I know exactly how you feel, I have had it since 14, I'm turning 21 this august. I went to the doc a few years ago and after trying various antibiotics he put me on accutane, BIG mistake.

I wish I never touched that shit, before I had little self confidence, but now I have none at all because accutane make my acne WAY worse while I was on it and I now have shit loads of scarring on my face. I dont get much acne any more thanks to a low carb high protein diet (I also heard fat is good as it counter-acts carbs) but the scarring is way worse. I'm constantly aware of the lighting and how I must look to other people, its horrible.

now I'm seeking treatment for my scarring, I think I have found the right doctor, but he is in extream demand so I'm having to wait months for an appointment :)

good luck, my advise to you is research acne on the web and try lots of different things, see what works for you - try the low carb diet first, it seems to work well for most people, also drink LOADs of water all day everyday.

--CS

the thing is i live alone and its hard sometimes to watch my diet, i usually just go out to eat....yeah i eat lot of mcdonalds, i dont know if i can watch my diet like that cause im a very skinny person , always have been , im 5'10 and look like i weigh 130 but i really weigh 105, i look decent for that, but thats not the point, its really hard to watch my diet...but i can try , i do wanna know about the make up thing though, is it making me worse ? i mean like i said b4 it sais its oil free and dosent clog pores, i did notice that i have a oily face, even after i wash it , it starts to produce oil , like 30 min later i have oil on my face again...dont know i hope the doc can help me, and about acutane, even if the doctor recomended it , im would never take that , i heard it mess's up your liver and makes u depressed, sometimes that is , i ve heard of people killing them selfs cause they were on that , and hey i might have acne but atleast im a alive, and i'd like to keep it that way, im gonna try to eat more salads and try to follow that diet , im still open to more advice , so please feel free to post, thanks everybody i really appreciate it , its nice to know your not alone.

I'm skinny too, just eat lots of meat, fruit and veg and try to cut down on carbs and completly cut out soft drinks (they are the worst thing ever for acne) and sugary sweets.

Remember, the more processed it is, usually the worse it is for you and acne, also try not to drink milk.

there is a thread somewhere on these boards detailing exactly what and what not to eat, search for it.

If I were you I would stop with the make up for a while, see if it gets better. I cant imagine make-up will help the situation.

--CS

Most of us can relate to your story. I do think you should be suspicious of your makeup. A lot of people have acne which is caused by cosmetic products they use on their face...it is all very confusing.

Suggest you search and post on the makeup board.

* If your acne is centred around your lower face and is strongly influenced by your menstrual cycle try a contraceptive like Diane 35, Estelle etc.

Hey. Listen, your makeup could be causing a problem. What brand do you use and what kind? Are you using coverstick or foundation or both? I am a girl 22 and have not had terrible acne, but enough so that I am on here trying to rid myself of these stupid blackheads and comedones. I have found that for myself that reducing the amount and the frequency of using foundation (i.e. the all-over stuff) and just sticking to using a good coverstick most of the time is better. I have a lot less breakouts. I know what it is like to have some terrible looking stuff on your face and not wanting to go out without makeup, but reducing the amount will probably help you.

Also, my brother had TERRIBLE acne when he was 14-19. It made him very self conscious. It was awful for him. He was on all kinds of creams and stuff the doctor gave him, but nothing worked fast enough for him, so he went on Accutane. I know accutane has worked well for some people, but I can definitely say for him the clearing of the acne was not worth the psychological effects. He became very quick to anger and was even violent. He was not a nice person to be around sometimes and even after he quit the accutane 10 years later he is still dealing with the effects. It is my opinion that accutane can be very dangerous with long term effects, and honestly, I don't think that using it cleared his acne for the long term. I think he just grew out of the tendancy to have the really bad acne and now he just washes his face with a good soap (purpose) and he has no acne that I can see. Plus his red marks did fade, so don't loose hope.

You say you are not going to go on accutane and I hope you give it serious thought if a dermatologist puts pressure on you to try it. Let them know that you are against it from the very first appointment. If it is the right doctor, s/he will not pressure you. Good luck, you will improve if you just keep trying!

just want to say thanks to everyone, who posted i really appreciatte it, and honestly it helps , cause it makes me feel better.About the makup brand, its cover girl (lol and im a guy and no im not gay) its the only one that really covers up good, i looked in the back of it and it sais, Long lasting Formula, oil free, wont clog pores, hypoalergenic.i try to wear as less as possible but its hard with all these red spots from old pimples, i wish i didnt have to put it on my face at all, but im just too embaressed to go out like this.i wish i could just wake up one day and not have anything on my face and just fix my hair and go out without spening hours trying to cover up my face.Does anyone know anything thats good for red spots , scars from old pimples, they just take a whole month to go away.and the way my skin is pop it or not it leaves a red mark, most of the time that is.ive been following the regiment, i have a oily face so i wash my face 3 times a day, and apply benzoil peroxide (2.5%) on any possible pimple, blackhead or anywhere where i usually get pimples, im trying really hard, i got the appointment onthe 22nd of july will see how that goes, for the first time in 5 years im not gonna wear any makeup for the appointment.I dont think im bad enouph for the doc to recomend acutane, but even if he does i decided that im not taking it no matter what,i have enouph problems as it is, i dont need anymore, i'd rather have acne then lose my mind.thanks everyone for your support and keep the post's coming , it really helps and keeps me motivated.

one more question ,my skin is a little red , might be from the benzoil peroxide , it dosen hurt ot itch or anything feels fine, just a little red, and i noticed benzoil peroxide drys my skin up a little, so i put lotion on my face leave in on for a few minutes then wash it of and it takes care of the dry skin, can i put on benzoil peroxide on right after ? should i wait a day or 2 ?i did notice when i put the benzoil peroxide on a few spots burned on my face.

my face was a little red and i made the mistake of putting benzoil peroxide on again and now its really red, and my skin is a little dry, i look like i have a sun burn even though i didnt sit in the sun at all, im gonan stop the benzoil peroxide for 1 or 2 days... could this have bad effects on my skin ? seeing my face so red makes me nervous.

Heard that XIAN helps? Haven try it before.. but everyone seem to recommend this~! www.acne.bz It seem to be much cheaper than Proative :)

my face in still a little red from yesterday, so im still too afraid to put on BP , at the same time im afraid not to , cause i havent had a pimple in 2 days, i went yesterday at walgreens and bought all the product's dan uses, and followed the videos, and did exactly what he said, i noticed that my skin dosent obsorb the moisterizer completly , my face is left very shiney, and the moisterizer looks like its oil on my face.maybe i put too much , but i tried to do it exactly like the vid.i think my skin takes BP pretty well, i mean if u only knew how much BP i put on my face to make it this red.that purpose soap bar is awesome , smells really good.anyways anymore advice is a appreciated , and like i said b4 , keeps me motivated to stick to this. thanks

my face just wont obsorb the moisterizer, i put a pea sized a amount(mayeb just a little more ) and my face looks shiney and like it has oil on it, if i touch much face u can feel it, it just wont obsord, my face isnt dry , like normal dry, plus that shiney effect makes my acne clearer and u can see it better, then when i have a dry face, is it suppose to be on your face like that ? i never left moistrizer on my face b4, what i use to do is , put alot of lotion all over my face leave it on then wash it off, and that would soften the dry skin and flakes and when i washed they came off,but from what i saw from the video and other people, you leave it on , but mine just wont obsorb it. dont know what to do , i feel like just wiping my face and getting it off.

I use to do the same thing...put on moisterizer...leave it on and then wash it off after a few minutes. I did this in the morning, and when I came home. I would wash my face every time it fely oily. It got to a point where Id wash my face every other hour. I was a mess with all the acne and my skin was pale and pasty from washing so much...I picked at everything on my face, spent hours trying to cover it up with make up. You could see I was trying hard to cover it up because the make up wouldnt blend with my pale over-washed face...

I tried all the meds, antibiotics, etc. my face looked worse every year

Then I started the regimen in Feb, i couldnt find 2.5% so I used 10% clean and clear...dried my face up and I started to turn red. I switched to 2.5% and the redness turned into peeling skin. It took more than 3 long months to clear...it was well worth the wait and effort.

I only used BP at night on weekdays, and only washed twice a day.

I get the same oily look with all the BP and moisterizer ](*,)

Hope you stick with the regimen :evil:

~Trin

My skin is a little flakey but not red anymore, the moisterizer dosent seem to be doing anything, unless i scrub it off while the moisterizer is the dry skin wont come off, but im not gonna scrub it off cause dan sais that will irritate the skin, i did put a little BP on anyway....cause im just too afraid im gonna get another pimple...right now im waiting for 15 min to put on the moisterizer again.you know that tight feeling u get on your face after u put BP on , well i got that feelings right after i washed my face without putting BP on , its the dry skin that did it, it was kinda of weird....is it possible for the soap to dry out my skin ?

Soap can dry out your skin, yes, but i have dry skin now anyway from the BP. If i don't put on moisturiser it looks really dry. In the day i put on a type of moisturising gel, it absorbs far better then any creams i know of. Then again you could try what trin mentioned and only put in on at night. I don't think it would clear up as fast then though. :-k