Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
spimples

L-lysine

Does taking L-lysine break you out? I know that it is supposed to be good for cankersores but I also heard that it could be good for collagen formation too!

Any thoughts?

Please help!?

L-lysine is used for collagen production by cells but there are numerous other biochemical reactions that take place. A study in Italy determined that the combination of lysine/proline/glycine plus L'ascorbic acid produced collagen in skin cells.

As far as breaking out in acne or other skin reactions, anything can happen, we are all biochemical individuals here. For me lysine has never done that, in fact it helps heal my skin from lesions.

Please help!?

L-lysine is used for collagen production by cells but there are numerous other biochemical reactions that take place. A study in Italy determined that the combination of lysine/proline/glycine plus L'ascorbic acid produced collagen in skin cells.

which study was that???

can you buy a supplement that has all of those together?

Please help!?

which study was that???

The study was done in Italy and was given to me by a friend there with her translation. It is not published in English. I have it in my many piles of research . Everyone in biochemisrty knows lysine has its place in collagen production, but as I said there are numerous factors involved. For example B-hydroxy B-methylbutyrate (HMB) with glutamine and arginine also have been found to increase collagen . There are many ways to do this, but which one will work for you? That is the question. I did have great results with increasing collagen in an indented incisional scar.

Solgars Proline/Lysine combo 500mg - 3X/day

Twin Labs glycine 500mg- 3x/day

L'ascorbic acid (any brand) 1000mg- 3X/day

These need to be taken between meals for 3 months at least. That was the study.

HMB 3gm

Arginine 14 gm daily for at least 3 months

Glutamine 14 gm

Or just increase Methionine which stimulates fibroblasts and collagen synthesis by it being a precursor to cysteine proline and lysine. OK bye

Please help!?

which study was that???

HMB 3gm

Arginine 14 gm

Glutamine 14 gm

Or just increase Methionine which stimulates fibroblasts and collagen synthesis by it being a precursor to cysteine proline and lysine. OK bye

ok you are getting too smart for me now.

what does HMB 3pm, Arginine 14gm, and Glutamine 14gm mean?? :: do I take these daily for at least 3 months? or do I take the other supplements you listed for 3 months? or both??

OR.... I could "just increase Methionine".. whatever that means?

- Eric

Hello Eric

L-methionine is the cheapest way to go. It is an essential amino acid. Found in health food stores etc.

The normal dose is about 1gm/day. You will need to see what amount works for you. Most studies with AA(amino acids are done in large doses). Look methionine up on the web, I think you will be impressed with all it does for us. Please also consider precautions and adverse reactions as you research this. It is a wonderful liver protector too.

HMB is a metabolite of Leucine an essential amino acid. It is used by body builders for example to reduce fat and increase muscle. Arginine and glutamine are also amino acids, found in supplements etc. Easy to find this but HMB is expensive. Lots of info online.

The general rule is 3 months for collagen placement in the skin. You should begin to see some improvement about 6 weeks though for intact skin. Of course most of the research is done on damaged skins ulcers, burns, etc and the response time is measured sooner in many cases. However the Italian study was done on photoaging and wrinkles, no wounds, evaluated at 3 and 6 months if I recall. Ok hope this gives you some help.

I take protien shakes. Tell me if this cna help me with my skin.

My protien shake has 3060mg of L-Lysine and L-Methionine and a tonne of other protiens. I eat this twice a day.

Could my scars heal beacuse of this?

Hello Eric

L-methionine is the cheapest way to go. It is an essential amino acid. Found in health food stores etc.

The normal dose is about 1gm/day. You will need to see what amount works for you. Most studies with AA(amino acids are done in large doses). Look methionine up on the web, I think you will be impressed with all it does for us. Please also consider precautions and adverse reactions as you research this. It is a wonderful liver protector too.

HMB is a metabolite of Leucine an essential amino acid. It is used by body builders for example to reduce fat and increase muscle. Arginine and glutamine are also amino acids, found in supplements etc. Easy to find this but HMB is expensive. Lots of info online.

The general rule is 3 months for collagen placement in the skin. You should begin to see some improvement about 6 weeks though for intact skin. Of course most of the research is done on damaged skins ulcers, burns, etc and the response time is measured sooner in many cases. However the Italian study was done on photoaging and wrinkles, no wounds, evaluated at 3 and 6 months if I recall. Ok hope this gives you some help.

Thanks!

I just ordered enough L-Lysine, L-Proline, Glycine, and L- Methionine for 3 months: I hope this helps my collagen rebuilding throughout my next set of fraxel treatments. I am also applying topical collagen / human growth factors with something called "tns recovery complex" by skinMedica; keep my fingers crossed.

- Eric

I take protien shakes. Tell me if this cna help me with my skin.

My protien shake has 3060mg of L-Lysine and L-Methionine and a tonne of other protiens. I eat this twice a day.

Could my scars heal beacuse of this?

It takes more than just supplements to repair scars. However if they are young scars you have a better chance of repair with this protien drink. Also include some Lascorbic acid too. I could not say if this will fix your problem. The key is to find what makes you scar and what type of scar is formed. For instance, I have poor wound healing and poor collagen production from lack of proline(vegetarian diet) and insulin resistance. So for me I need increase proline and alpha lipoic acid and chromium GTF and less omegas 3. OK? So it is difficult to say what will work for you in your diet to help you heal with minimum damage.