Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Neuvo wavo

Acne Super Bacteria

Let me get this straight . . .

By taking antibiotics to fight acne for many years, I have created in my body a super strain of p. acnes that is not responsive to antibiotics?

If I had just left my acne the hell alone it wouldn't have become so virulent and would be gone by now.

Am I getting this right?

What makes you think you have a super strain of p. acnes?

What makes you think that your acne would have gone away on it's own?

I was on minocycline for 6 years straight (after being on tetracycline and doxycycline for 3 years continuously). Minocycline worked brilliantly for me for about 4 years, keeping me 90% clear, but then my acne started to gradually creep back and eventually became severe enough to scar me at the age of 25.

Now, it's my understanding that bacteria does not become resistant to Minocycline. So I'm considering: what else could explain the return of my acne other than the introduction of a new bacterial element into the equation, one that was different from the bacteria that was effectively controlled by minocycline.

My acne should be gone. No one in my entire extended family going back 3 generations has adult acne and no one has scarring.

Thanks.

Paul

Here is where your thinking has gone wrong....

You state that you have a super-strain, but as you have no proof such as culture/sensitivities, you are in reality just *assuming* that you do. Assumptions are only worth the paper they're written on.

Most likely the reason why you continue to need oral abx's is that you are not treating your acne correctly, and therefore never improve enough to get off orals. Orals can only do so much, and one can have more acne than what your orals can handle.

But the biggest mistake you make is assuming that acne should be gone by any particular age, or that assuming that having acne-free relatives should mean that you should be acne free as well. These general assumptions are about as correct as the flat-earth theory....

Guest james11

Dermpro, you make some pretty sweeping statements. Do you not think that given his consistent and prolonged use of orals, he's a good chance for having gram negative folliculitis?

Dermpro, you make some pretty sweeping statements. Do you not think that given his consistent and prolonged use of orals, he's a good chance for having gram negative folliculitis?

Although it's not common, it is always possible.....

Guest james11

Actually while we're on this topic Derm. A couple of years ago i stopped taking Bactrim after around 10 months of use. I'd never had Acne that bad, yet within three months of stopping Bactrim i had awful skin. I'm currently on Tetrecylcline 250mg (one tablet, twice daily) and i've been on this for around 7 months. This is under the supervision of a Dermatologist.

I've also been undergoing a series of PDT with ALA and this has pretty much eradicated my Acne. I would like to get off the Tetrex soon and i wanted to know if there is a link between stopping anti-biotics and breaking out? I know it isn't healthy for the immune system to use oral anti-biotics extensively. Your thoughts? As in do the anti-biotics have a negative effect on Acne in the bigger picture?

Thanks.

Most likely the reason why you continue to need oral abx's is that you are not treating your acne correctly, and therefore never improve enough to get off orals.

Dermpro,

Then I beg you, for the love of God and all that is holy, tell me how to treat my acne correctly! :pray:

I'll do anything! Accutane finally cleared me, but now a year later I'm breaking out again. Do I just keep doing Accutane courses until either I or the acne give out?

That seems like my only option, seeing as how 9 years of antibiotics, strong topical retinoids, topical erythromycin, benzoyl peroxide, etc., could not suppress acne that ultimately became significant enough to scar.

You obviously know what you're talking about, unlike all of the doctors I seem to run into. I should move wherever you are and you can cure my acne and I'll give you a million dollars.

Paul

I was on minocycline for 6 years straight (after being on tetracycline and doxycycline for 3 years continuously). Minocycline worked brilliantly for me for about 4 years, keeping me 90% clear, but then my acne started to gradually creep back and eventually became severe enough to scar me at the age of 25.

Now, it's my understanding that bacteria does not become resistant to Minocycline. So I'm considering: what else could explain the return of my acne other than the introduction of a new bacterial element into the equation, one that was different from the bacteria that was effectively controlled by minocycline.

My acne should be gone. No one in my entire extended family going back 3 generations has adult acne and no one has scarring.

Thanks.

Paul

After you get clear your post to stop takeing them what were they pills.

Edited by ravensfan2005