Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
heymikey

Pictures of my moderate/severe scars -- what should I do?

Here are pictures of my depressing moderate/severe scars. I am currently on Accutane (just started my 5th month) and as far as I can tell, I don't have any active acne, just red marks and scars.

So, what procedures do I need to correct these scars? How much do they usually cost? How long should I wait after I finish accutane and before doing these procedures?

It's kinda sad since most of these scars appeared due to the severe initial breakout I got while on Accutane. I never had acne that severe. Plus, my initial breakout with Accutane was really weird since those pimples/cysts easily popped. I'm not a picker but before Accutane, when I get a zit, it won't easily pop. When I was on Accutane, the pimples/cysts I got while on Accutane get easily popped without me even trying such as when I was gently washing my face and while on the shower. It would just pop without any reason. It actually made me regret taking Accutane despite the fact I don't have any active acne anymore. Pimples and cysts come and go but scars are there forever, unless of course you spend hundreds of dollars in procedures that might not even work.

Anyway, here are my pictures. I've experimented with 2 different kinds of lighting just to see if there are any differences. Let me know if you can't see them. So, any suggestions on what I should do? I'm really desperate so please help me. Aside from the scars, as you can tell, my lips are currently dry (no problem there, I can handle that) and my hair has thinned. I hope that it gets thicker when I get off Accutane.

[REMOVED OLD PICTURES]

Depending on your age those will heal up a certain amount since they are fresh (less than 5 months right?) They are still red so there is some healing going on.

Some people swear by accutane and others say it caused their scarring. Some even try taking it to reduce scarring.

You really can't do anything until you are off of the accutane for at least 6 months. I would recommend TCA CROSS or needling if you can deal with continued redness. You will still mostlikely need to sort of full face resurfacing which is in the order of $2500-$5000.

you can't do much right now besides moisturising and such, be happy you don't have scars on your forehead. I have some there too.

You'll be fine, after 6 months to a year after accutane you can start treatments if u want.

yeah wait six months for sure before trying anything. For real calm down about how your skin looks right now, I have gotten scared about scars that looked horrible and went away over the course of a few months time. The redness and different colors in the scarred areas make them look ten times worse than they will look once they are healed. Nothing looks too deep adn will I promise u fill in with the coming months as they heal. I have never had a scar that didnt look better after a few months healing. Some that I have had are almost unoticable even without treating them, just let time do its thing. Also the thinning of the hair is not permanent for 99% of the people that expeience it. I am using Nioxin which is expensive and is used to treat thinning hair. Its really great stuff knocks out the DHT in the hair follicle which is what causes hair loss. It makes my hair look really healthy and full, but costs about $60 for a two or three month supply depending on hair length and how much u use. I get a deal at $20 a box since my sister works at a salon that sells it. I dont have thinning hair at all and was even laughed at by my doctor when I told him I was using it. I was REALLY scared that accutane would make me go bald so I had my sis pick up 5 boxes of the stuff for teh time I was on accutane and until it was all out of my system.

U will probably want to get some resurfacing done afterward like Colin suggested since u will still have scars. U could get fraxel done which would probaly do a lot for your scars. The most important thing is that u got rid of the acne and keep it gone.

Dr Rullan in Chula Vista Ca. has the best treatment for scars. Called the Exoderm Procedure that is an eight day procedure (a deep phenol peel and bandaged and then a mask) I have taken care of many patients of his although Iu do not work for him. I do other plastic surgery patients. I have seen the wonderful results from this treatment. It outdoes laser which does not last and dermabraion which is not good. I have had the treatment and my skin has lasted with new collegen that was produced and my skin is like a baby. It lasts also. He has patients all over the world that come for this as he is the very few Dr.s that do this kind of treatment for acne scars and wrinkles. I highly reccommend it.

Just another quick question, what type(s) of scars do I have?

Thanks guys.

Heymikey,

I think those are icepick scars, and my scars on the right face is pretty much the same as your on your left face

but I am still on the acne treatment...............so i cannot do nothing on my scars

what are you planning to do for scar treatment ?

Alexandra, I have read about other posters having this done and they only got 20 percent improvement max. I don't believe it outdoes dermbrasion in every case.

Mikey u might want to try soemthing with hydroquinone in it. This will rid your skin of the redness and is safe to use on accutane. I am using the scar eraser from University Medical which has made my skin look a lot better and i am on accutane right now. Its only $15 I think and can be found at any drugstore or general store by the acnefree products. Hope that helps and I wish u luck.

Thanks Keith. I'll see if I can find something that has hydroquinone in it that is OTC. Anyway, have you tried copper peptides? Does that help with my scarring?

Thanks Keith. I'll see if I can find something that has hydroquinone in it that is OTC. Anyway, have you tried copper peptides? Does that help with my scarring?

Never used anyhting but the scar eraser and the Clearasil scar kit which are both over the counter. Made my face look a lot better. Your scars are still red so tehy will pop out in the next few months. Try the acnefree stuff while on accutane it moisturizes the skin anyways and keeps it from getting flaky and dtry.

Okay, I looked at your pics, and here's my advice:

DO NOT have laser or dermabrasion. You look to be ethnic... laser and dermabrasion is a no no for ethnic skin. I don't believe either of those work anyway, so forget about them.

You should however try subcision. I see only a few places on your face that look to be boxcar or rolling scars. Have subcision along with a filler (Perlane if you can find it...micro-droplet silicon if you want it permanent). You'll have to do the subcsion a few times, but even ONE treatment will give you some permanent improvement in elevating the "dipped" scars. (it worked on me anyway).

Above all...give your skin TIME. You'll have to wait at least 6-12 months after Accutane before you do anything anyway. And because you're ethnic, like me, those red marks will take at least one year to fade. If you're a smoker count on 5 years. One of my MANY doctors told me this. Trust me, even if you did nothing at all, in 3 years your skin will look much better. Most of what you see is redness/purpleness, and that fades with time.

I'm borderline obsessive/compulsive, so after I "got" my scars, I went to every kind of doctor and researched every treatment I could find. There isn't a magic bullet unfortunately, but you shouldn't be hopeless either. Oh, and the hairloss goes away after you stop accutane. I had thinning hair while on it and freaked :wacko: My hair's thicker than ever now.

UPDATE AFTER 3 MONTHS

I'm still on Accutane after so many months (I think I've lost count -- probably on my 7th or 8th month right now) and I think it somewhat improved. Some of the pictures might be blurry compared to others and I'm not sure if the lighting shows all of my scars or not. Anyway, here are my scars and red marks.

IPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB Image

IPB ImageIPB ImageIPB Image

By the way, are my scars so deep that they can't be fixed by chemical peels or dermabrasion?

It's weird, in the lighter pics the scars don't look deep at all. In the darker pics some look moderately deep. It could possibly be just the shadows. I think after you are off accutane, some medium depth peels (with a bit of downtime) could produce good results. By the way, your teeth look nearly perfect and you are a good looking guy. Peace.

UPDATE AFTER 3 MONTHS

I'm still on Accutane after so many months (I think I've lost count -- probably on my 7th or 8th month right now) and I think it somewhat improved. Some of the pictures might be blurry compared to others and I'm not sure if the lighting shows all of my scars or not. Anyway, here are my scars and red marks.

IPB ImageIPB ImageIPB Image

By the way, are my scars so deep that they can't be fixed by chemical peels or dermabrasion?

Hello

You definitely have some box scars, I feel subcision/ fillers is he best way to start.

Mikey, my scars are very similar to yours. I just finished tane. With or without tane, the scars WILL heal up completely after one year... Because it's common sense. I've had such scars in the pass, and they heal up. I've been off tane for 2 weeks, and it is my opinion (if not fact) that your skin returns to it's normal healing process (with your natural oils) after off tane.

Yes, the red marks will fade and some scars may minimize somewhat. However, the big indented scars will not COMPLETELY go away on their own like you stated and to say that is giving false hope to many people on this board. :doubt:

Also, please save your cursing for someone else.

Edit: His cursing was removed by moderator. Thanks.

I think peels will help to an extent. Strong TCA peels (work your way up to strong ones) will probably help the shallower scars, the redness, and the overall tone of your skin, but over time, after doing many peels. but you can do peels while on Accutane, because of how it effects your healing.

BUT you do have some major scaring, and imo, peels wont do much for them. I dont know much about what you can do, but you should look into subscision or needling. lots of people on these boards seems to have had some success with that.

also, im sure lasers are a good option. Maybe fraxel, although if you read the threads on it, the improvements arent that impressive.

Maybe dermabrasion? thats hardcore, but maybe it would help. Just keep in mind that with a lot of these procedures, you cant be on accutane, and have to have been off it for a certain period of time. talk to your dermatologist about all this.

the way i see it is any improvement is better than none. so do what you can now, do your research, and save your money.

Stay strong brother, and learn from this experience. peace.