Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
chickcorea

minocycline and accutane

from what i've read, accutane in conjunction with any of the cyclines could promote cerebral swelling. is this also the case with minocycline? i ask because my derm is insisting that i take minocyline during the beginnings of my accutane (hopefully! blood work on monday) treatment. i have some old keflex which i heard is a good antibiotic to be during that probable-initial-breakout phase. what you guys think?

Take BOTH???? i would seriously question the derm! call the pharmacy to double check.

I know i'm starting SPIRO and thats not even accutane but my derm wants to lower my minocycline dosage.

Guest ***Mish Mosh***

sounds odd.

I had terrible side effects with minocyline

i had terrible side effects with erythromycin oral which is what i started with way back when.

Mino seems to work well for me.

All my side effects i get from anti-depressants. blah :P

Many years ago, some people who were on accutane and a cycline at the same time had incidences of increased intracranial pressue (NOT cerebral swelling), so although there is no proof that the combination does indeed cause this to happen, there is a warning that the two drugs should not be taken together.

Of course a published warning does not mean you can't prescribe the two, and in fact many derms do prescribe both. This is because again there is no proof, and it happens to other people who are on one or the other (but not both) anyway. So whether or not you take the two simultaneously, you still have a chance of developing increased pressure anyway.

Keflex is a poor choice for acne treatment.

Minocycline gave me a horrible connective tissue disease that I now how to live my life with. Totally against the use of it and most other oral treatments for acne.

Don't take both for long. He is probably saying that if you take Mino during the first few weeks of Accutane treatment the inital breakout won't be as bad, as well the chance for acne to grow while changing treatment will be minimized. Just quit taking it if you get headaches, blurred vision, etc, etc.

my derm told me it was dangerous to mix them.

in fact i had to wait 2 weeks at least til mino was out of my system before going on the tane.

seriously, ask your derm to show u his diploma..

:eh:

peace.

dermpro---so, in short, you're saying that taking these two combined is a danger worth giving heed to, but still doing? a definite yes, a definite no, or a 'do it at your own risk'? i'm still considering doing it.

thanks.