Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dan T.

Intense Pulse Light

My derm. mentioned that Intense Pulse Light treatments could resolve areas of my face that were dermabraded and have had some residual redness in his opinion from enlargment of blood vessels from the healing process. I also have a bit of hyperpigmentation in places. These reddened areas have persisted for years.

Any feedback on the impact of the treatments both positive and negetive from a patients perspective? He mentioned that I would need 2 or 3 spaced about 2 weeks apart. Also, I would just some puffiness and redness afterwards that would resolve in a few days.

Any feedback would be appreciated. It seems like a good way to resolve some of the redness.

Thanks

My derm. mentioned that Intense Pulse Light treatments could resolve areas of my face that were dermabraded and have had some residual redness in his opinion from enlargment of blood vessels from the healing process. I also have a bit of hyperpigmentation in places. These reddened areas have persisted for years.

Any feedback on the impact of the treatments both positive and negetive from a patients perspective? He mentioned that I would need 2 or 3 spaced about 2 weeks apart. Also, I would just some puffiness and redness afterwards that would resolve in a few days.

Any feedback would be appreciated. It seems like a good way to resolve some of the redness.

Thanks

Hey Dan - I think IPL would definitely help you...it is supposed to be great for broken capillaries and redness. I have used the Prolite IPL for hair removal and I also noticed that it evened out my skin tone as well. You should give it a try. I think it could definitely help you based on your situation.

Thanks

ipl is done for alot of rosacea sufferers. Results are not always positive. dependson the practitioner and the patient. sometimes things get worse, sometimes there's no change. you might want to get a second opinion.

Hi Dan,

How are you? I've been reading up on IPL for rosacea in the past few days. It is true that it worked to various degree for some ppl, while it did not work or made the redness worse for others.

Rosacea treatment responses

I had full face IPL twice 3 years ago to remove age spots (which was quite effective) but I was slightly blistered and got some hyperpigmentation which resolved over a long time. I don't know if it is effective for redness because I did not have redness that stops right at my jawline then. @#$%^^&*&^!!!

Here is an interesting link, for those of us who suffer demarcation lines from resurfacing.

Guy who treated demarcation on his neck (looks like the 8 IPLs he received lightened the tanned, non burnt skin to help the blend in).

I have an appointment in late December with the local PS (treatment may beigin in January) who did my IPL 3 years ago, and will do a few test patches before getting any full blown treatment. I'd like to see if it help reduce redness and help blending the jawline, or make things worse.

Wish me luck, I'll let you know how it turn out.

Sword

I suffered with prolonged post procedure redness near my jawline (due to a derma done by Dr. Y) and I was treated with VBeam by Dr. Harmon (nephew of Dr. Y) three weeks ago. I was told to expect a 30%-50% reduction in 6-8 weeks. Comparing with IPL, VBeam may give you much quicker and reliable results but the the treated areas will be bruised for few days.

Sword, you may need to ask your PS to make sure that a treatment with multiple IPL sessions will not aggravate hypopigmentation condition. An "ideal" test may be to have multiple treatments on the same tiny spot.

Thanks Lunar. Interestly, I found a local laser center that does vBeam so I'll call them for a consultation too. This time definitely test spots, IPL or vBeam, before anything full face.

Dr. Y said he never had anyone who stayed permanently red, he said he didn't want me to be the first ( :rolleyes: ) one . It has been 9 months, the sufferring from the abnormal redness is no joke, it could have been totally avoided if this risk was mentioned in the consultation.

How long were you bruised for from the vBeam? Did it help the redness or (I hope not) make it worse?

Thanks,

Sword

Hey Sword -

How are you doing bro? Thanks for all of the input. Sounds like the "test site" idea is a good one for the treatment. I have already lost much pigmentation from dermabrasion so I am a little worried about loss of more. The treatment does sound like a good way to resolve much of the redness. I will post the results if I go forward with this.

Dan T.

Thanks Lunar. Interestly, I found a local laser center that does vBeam so I'll call them for a consultation too. This time definitely test spots, IPL or vBeam, before anything full face.

Dr. Y said he never had anyone who stayed permanently red, he said he didn't want me to be the first ( :rolleyes: ) one . It has been 9 months, the sufferring from the abnormal redness is no joke, it could have been totally avoided if this risk was mentioned in the consultation.

How long were you bruised for from the vBeam? Did it help the redness or (I hope not) make it worse?

Thanks,

Sword

Hi Sword,

I just want to wish you luck on your ipl. I am 5 months post derm and I notice that the color on my face does not match my neck, my face is very pale and my neck is olive. Its not as bad as the guy on that picture. I plan to see a derm and hope that its not hypopigmentation .

Lunar,

Thanks. Right now I am more interested in spot-testing the vBeam for redness reduction than IPL. I'll probrably just use IPL to lighten my tanned neck (I'm only guessing because IPL removed some dark spots on my temple 3 years ago) and on the demarcation line, hopefully it will trigger some pigment to travel and the line effect will be less apparent. The doctors are so booked, I probrably can't report back until Jan 2006.

Hey Dan,

I'm doing ok. Although the discoloration still gets me down sometimes, I am back being my strong old self again. I am going to take a few test spots and good before and after pictures, so I'd know for sure how I'd react.

Mimi,

Thanks. From your older posts you had 3 dermabrasions, 2 from Dr. Y. You mentioned the different, shiny texture but did you also suffer from loss of pigment after #1 and #2? Why did you go for the 3rd??

Sword

Lunar,

Thanks. Right now I am more interested in spot-testing the vBeam for redness reduction than IPL. I'll probrably just use IPL to lighten my tanned neck (I'm only guessing because IPL removed some dark spots on my temple 3 years ago) and on the demarcation line, hopefully it will trigger some pigment to travel and the line effect will be less apparent. The doctors are so booked, I probrably can't report back until Jan 2006.

Hey Dan,

I'm doing ok. Although the discoloration still gets me down sometimes, I am back being my strong old self again. I am going to take a few test spots and good before and after pictures, so I'd know for sure how I'd react.

Mimi,

Thanks. From your older posts you had 3 dermabrasions, 2 from Dr. Y. You mentioned the different, shiny texture but did you also suffer from loss of pigment after #1 and #2? Why did you go for the 3rd??

Sword

I didn't notice pigment loss on dermbrasions 1 and 2. I went for dermabrasions 2 and 3 because of the improvements of my scars from dermabrasion 1. I was hoping that dermabrasions 2 and 3 would help my texture.

Edited by mimi2005

Good luck with your healing mimi.

Just back from the laser doc, she tested vBeam on a spot on the cheek, and a spot on the jawline. It is a Candela vBeam unit that simultaneously cool-sprays and lasers the targeted area.

She'd rather be conservative than agressive with the power setting, which I prefer. So far no brusing and no increased redness. I shall keep observing for a few more days. My full face vBeam is scheduled for next week.

It could take 4 -5 monthly treatments to see noticeable reduction of erythema, each time it may take 3 -4 weeks to see a some difference. Result may vary, but it is the only potentially effective treatment I can have.

Apart from the redness, she acknowledged that I have serious hypopigmentation, which there is nothing she can do to help. She seemed a bit shocked about my condition, I guess not too many people scrape off their faces and go to her office for help. :eh:

When I asked if IPL or laser can help reduce the constrast my neck and my face, she advised the use of a bleaching cream instead (on non dermabraded skin).

Sword

Sword,

As for the power setting, I was told by Dr. Harmon that bruising is an indication of success. By treating with normal (default) power setting, I had scabs for 3 days and was bruised for 7 days. VBeam is very safe but not totally risk free. So for your special case, I guess that having many conservative treatments may give you the optimal results in the long run.

Good luck with your healing mimi.

Just back from the laser doc, she tested vBeam on a spot on the cheek, and a spot on the jawline. It is a Candela vBeam unit that simultaneously cool-sprays and lasers the targeted area.

She'd rather be conservative than agressive with the power setting, which I prefer. So far no brusing and no increased redness. I shall keep observing for a few more days. My full face vBeam is scheduled for next week.

It could take 4 -5 monthly treatments to see noticeable reduction of erythema, each time it may take 3 -4 weeks to see a some difference. Result may vary, but it is the only potentially effective treatment I can have.

Apart from the redness, she acknowledged that I have serious hypopigmentation, which there is nothing she can do to help. She seemed a bit shocked about my condition, I guess not too many people scrape off their faces and go to her office for help. :eh:

When I asked if IPL or laser can help reduce the constrast my neck and my face, she advised the use of a bleaching cream instead (on non dermabraded skin).

Sword

Lunarsurface – I was seriously considering v- beam but there’s been quite a bit of negative feedback on various lasers and it’s really put me off. Poor Sadcat had v- beam and ended up with scabs that left indented scarring, rougher texture and a tendency to icepick scars now from breakouts when she didn’t have any scars before the procedure.

Why does it cause scabs, is that from burns at high setting?

Did you put anything on the scabs and skin to help with healing afterwards?

Fizzgig,

You can do test patches if you are concerned about complications. The formation of scabs, crusts and bruises are not uncommon (http://www.lahey.org/Medical/LaserInstitute/PostTreatment.asp). I put on some bactronban cream to prevent infection but I guess any other antibiotic ointment will do equally fine.

Lunarsurface – I was seriously considering v- beam but there’s been quite a bit of negative feedback on various lasers and it’s really put me off. Poor Sadcat had v- beam and ended up with scabs that left indented scarring, rougher texture and a tendency to icepick scars now from breakouts when she didn’t have any scars before the procedure.

Why does it cause scabs, is that from burns at high setting?

Did you put anything on the scabs and skin to help with healing afterwards?

Thanks for the info. I agree that for anyone going ahead with v-beam it’s worth having a test patch first rather than risking a larger area of your face, especially if high settings are used.

Thanks

I had a red ring from the dermabraded area that took years to go away.I had mild scars which the dermabrasion did little for and the lines stayed for years.For probably two winters you could tell the dermabraded area...It was red with a line that separated the areas and was more noticeable in cold weather .I hated my dermabrasion experience but believed the books I read stating anywhere from 50 to 80% improvement.I'm not saying that can't happen but would only believe that with someone in the same lighting conditions with no makeup in the before and after pics.I've always noticed the before shots are without makeup in lighting that enhance the scarring,the after is with makeup in lighting that reduce the scarring.I know one should try and put their best foot foward but DAMN thats misleading.I'm sorry to change subjects and hope the Pulse light reduces your redness.

I know what you mean Jeffth, it really sucks. My redness is not going anywhere, with the demarcation people can easily tell I did something stupid to botch up my face.

Did you just have cheeks done, or full face? Although it took years, I am happy that your redness is no longer noticeable.

I know what you mean Jeffth, it really sucks. My redness is not going anywhere, with the demarcation people can easily tell I did something stupid to botch up my face.

Did you just have cheeks done, or full face? Although it took years, I am happy that your redness is no longer noticeable.

Mainly cheeks but also under my lips.I looked pretty stupid and the worse part was little if any improvement.

PS-I do think you skin will return to the normal color but it will happen when it happens.There is no 3,6,9 or even 12 month timetable.Dermabrasion is similar to scraping you leg or arm when you fall.It takes time for the skin to return to normal color but it does, over time.Dermabrasion is just physician controlled scraping.

Jeffh

After living in artificially-inflicted rosacea hell for 9 months, I had full face Candela VBeam Laser treatment on Nov 25. A liquid was sprayed onto the skin before each laser pulse, cooling the upper layers of skin, and the most conservative power setting was used.

It was slightly uncomfortable but did not hurt at all. My face turned redder than usual for the rest of the day and returned to "normal" level of redness the next day. There was no bruising at all. The doctor said I may notice less flushing in 4 weeks. If I respond positively I may see noticeable reduction of redness after 3 monthly treatments.

PS-I do think you skin will return to the normal color but it will happen when it happens.There is no 3,6,9 or even 12 month timetable.Dermabrasion is similar to scraping you leg or arm when you fall.It takes time for the skin to return to normal color but it does, over time.Dermabrasion is just physician controlled scraping.

Thanks Jeffh for the support. I am not trying to sound negative, just being realistic with my condition.

Like Dan T, I lost a lot of pigment from the dermabrasion, I can't quite picture I can recover that. My natural skin tans and stays dark with just a little sun, so the dermacation will be even more prononced in the summer time.

Some rosacea patients spend years and thousands of $$ on treatments and still cannot get rid of their redness, so only time can tell.