Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
mz_hayl3y

Colouring Hair on Accutane

Ive been on Accutane for ages and I know im not allowed to colour my hair coz the dye cant touch my skalp. My dermatologist said that I could colour my hair if the dye didnt touch my skalp (using a skull cap) but that was colouring it darker.

Does anyoen knwo if i can do the same thign but colour it lighter???

I would be careful about it, cos it would really dry out your hair.. (which i presume is already really dry by now?)

I did some foils tho, I didn't have any problems with it..

I think you should be OK if you use a Level 1 color- one that gradually washes out over the course of a month or more.

Unlike other colors, it doesn't strip the outer layer of you hairs to make the color 'stick', it just leaves a stain on top. I find that they tend to make hair shinnier and less brittle feeling, but the real kicker is that it doesn't damage your dermis :)

Ive been on Accutane for ages and I know im not allowed to colour my hair coz the dye cant touch my skalp. My dermatologist said that I could colour my hair if the dye didnt touch my skalp (using a skull cap) but that was colouring it darker.

Does anyoen knwo if i can do the same thign but colour it lighter???

I dyed my hair while on accutane, and my hair broke off everywhere. It didn't bother my scalp, but my hair was so dry and damaged, it couldn't handle all of the processing. Now ... I color my hair a lot, so it could have just been overprocessed, and that particular time, I had colored it platinum blonde, which strips every ounce of color out of your hair, so that could have also had something to do with it. I have been coloring my hair for years though, and I haven't had any problems like that in the past. I would probably hold off. Probably a temporary color would be okay .. less drying. Why don't you try that until you're off the accutane.

I think you should be OK if you use a Level 1 color- one that gradually washes out over the course of a month or more.

I much prefer this type of coloring, however you can't use it to lighten hair because it has almost no lift.

If i was really dying (hah!) to lighten my hair on Accutane (and if my hair was in good condition - don't do it if your hair is dry and brittle) i'd go to a salon, explain that it's imperative that color does not touch my scalp and ask for either heavy frosting or heavy foil. It creates a more natural lightening and less obvious roots than an all over treatment anyway.

But it will get hella dry, so i'd also ask for one of those professional deep conditionings under the dryer, and use lots of conditioner when you are keeping it up.

You can do the same thing with home coloring if you are very skilled at pulling hair through a cap or foiling, or if you have a friend who can help you.