Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
goodz19

i've read it all; just need some encouragement i think

Hello ev1. I've been snooping around her for quite some time. I started the regimen 2 1/2 weeks ago. I am 30 years old and have suffered from this mess since I was in 7th grade. I've tried everything over the counter and a few antibotics (eythro, mino, etc) but nothing has cleared me up. I went to Proactiv 8-9 years ago. That worked splendidly for quite some time; I'm talking years. But for the past year, my face has been a train wreck. Very large, deep pimples. Usually 2-3 at a time, along w/ the regular type stuff.

I tried the regimen for a little over a week some time ago, but I couldnt handle the dryness. I had been using BP in the Proactiv system and I thought my face would be ready for the arsenal used in this regimen. Not so. So I quit.

I tried again 2 1/2 weeks ago. The dryness was still very heavy. I mosturized quite a bit and it has seemed to help. My new dilemma: large spots in very prevelent areas (under the eyes, high cheekbones, above lips) where I am not used to getting them. I've also only now started getting red. Yesterday it looked like sunburn. It seems odd that I would start getting red now, a cpl weeks in. If I was going to get red, shouldnt it have been when I started? Also, since I've been red, the flakes have slowed dramatically. It was just 4 days ago I made the mistaked of wearing a black hooded sweatshirt and it looked like I had a bad case of dandruff. No, there are only flakes where I load up on BP trying to manage the big spots.

I am a perfectionist about this shit. I want it to end. My face looks worse today than it has in a long, long time. I am seriously trying to be patient w/ all of this, but I am wearing thin. I've developed 4 monsters over the past week, and coupled w/ the redness, it's pretty bad. This struggle is wearing me down more and more every day. I'm becoming like a recluse. I go to work and stay in my room on the computer. I am shutting off family and friends because of how I look. I'm so embarrassed and depressed. It's changing me into a whole new person on the outside as well as the inside. I'm miserable, angry, and, basically I wallow in my own self-pity. I am so tired of this. Someone please tell me to stick w/ this! Thanx

Hello ev1. I've been snooping around her for quite some time. I started the regimen 2 1/2 weeks ago. I am 30 years old and have suffered from this mess since I was in 7th grade. I've tried everything over the counter and a few antibotics (eythro, mino, etc) but nothing has cleared me up. I went to Proactiv 8-9 years ago. That worked splendidly for quite some time; I'm talking years. But for the past year, my face has been a train wreck. Very large, deep pimples. Usually 2-3 at a time, along w/ the regular type stuff.

I tried the regimen for a little over a week some time ago, but I couldnt handle the dryness. I had been using BP in the Proactiv system and I thought my face would be ready for the arsenal used in this regimen. Not so. So I quit.

I tried again 2 1/2 weeks ago. The dryness was still very heavy. I mosturized quite a bit and it has seemed to help. My new dilemma: large spots in very prevelent areas (under the eyes, high cheekbones, above lips) where I am not used to getting them. I've also only now started getting red. Yesterday it looked like sunburn. It seems odd that I would start getting red now, a cpl weeks in. If I was going to get red, shouldnt it have been when I started? Also, since I've been red, the flakes have slowed dramatically. It was just 4 days ago I made the mistaked of wearing a black hooded sweatshirt and it looked like I had a bad case of dandruff. No, there are only flakes where I load up on BP trying to manage the big spots.

I am a perfectionist about this shit. I want it to end. My face looks worse today than it has in a long, long time. I am seriously trying to be patient w/ all of this, but I am wearing thin. I've developed 4 monsters over the past week, and coupled w/ the redness, it's pretty bad. This struggle is wearing me down more and more every day. I'm becoming like a recluse. I go to work and stay in my room on the computer. I am shutting off family and friends because of how I look. I'm so embarrassed and depressed. It's changing me into a whole new person on the outside as well as the inside. I'm miserable, angry, and, basically I wallow in my own self-pity. I am so tired of this. Someone please tell me to stick w/ this! Thanx

Hi! Im 26 years old and have been dealing with acne since my early teens also!Nothing has worked for me, antibotics are the only thing that seemed to clear me up a good amount. My acne is moderate. i have lots of scarring and red marks and am always breaking out. I just started the Regimen so Im hoping this works. We can only hope and try new things. Maybe this will work for you too. I know how you feel. I want this to end so bad also. I know under this mess I have a pretty face and I just wish the acne could be lifted away so I could see my beauty under it all. I love taking pictures of myself with my camera phone because somehow, someway the lighting BLOCKS my acne and scars and it looks at if If I have a clear face. I get to see what I would look like without the acne and scars. It does a number on seld esteem, I know.Don't be embarassed, it's something we can't help. It's almost like a disease, we try to prevent it, it happens, and then we look for ways to cure it. Sometimes I get down about it also, I have good days and bad days. Some days I think it's not too bad, it will get better. And other days I don't even want to look in a mirror and Im angry that my skin is such a mess. I also get frustrated that it doesn't just go away already, and the scars that are left behind make me even more upset at times. But I try to keep in mind that wether it's acne or some other problem, we ALL have them. Instead of feeling bad about it and sad, I just keep up to date on new information, treat my acne and focus on the parts about myself that I really like. Yes, I have acne. Yes, I have scar's and YES my face looks kind of crappy sometimes BUT there's so much more to ME then my acne.Give the Regimen some time and hang in there......e mail me if you need to talk. [email protected]

Thanx for the response melissa :D I hate having to go thru this but it is a comfort to come here and talk with people that are suffering, inside and out, just like me. I just cant shake this horribleness (is that a word?) that I feel all the time. It consumes me; I am an addict. It is the only thing on my mind every waking hour. And it's such a shame! I have lots and lots of friends, but I dont go anywhere because I'm ashamed and too embarrassed to talk about it w/ them. I have an awesome girlfriend (who of course has pretty near flawless skin and doesnt know why I make such a big deal about a problem she has no idea about). I even avoid going to my dad's. I'm dreading the holiday season coming up. I think I need psychological help. What a mess!

But again, thank you for the reply. It is better knowing I'm not alone. I may take you up on your offer sometime.

Hey goodz. Try and ease into the amount of BP you use. I started the regimen a little over a month ago after using 10% BP face wash and spot treating with 10% cream at night. I thought I was immune to the hardening/drying effects of BP but it wasn't the case. I was still pretty dry and red the first couple of weeks.

I'm getting over a nasty breakout over here and have been hiding in my apartment as well. I work at home as well which although it may seem convenient, it makes hiding way too easy. Keep at it and I wish you the best of luck.

Thanx for the response melissa :D I hate having to go thru this but it is a comfort to come here and talk with people that are suffering, inside and out, just like me. I just cant shake this horribleness (is that a word?) that I feel all the time. It consumes me; I am an addict. It is the only thing on my mind every waking hour. And it's such a shame! I have lots and lots of friends, but I dont go anywhere because I'm ashamed and too embarrassed to talk about it w/ them. I have an awesome girlfriend (who of course has pretty near flawless skin and doesnt know why I make such a big deal about a problem she has no idea about). I even avoid going to my dad's. I'm dreading the holiday season coming up. I think I need psychological help. What a mess!

But again, thank you for the reply. It is better knowing I'm not alone. I may take you up on your offer sometime.

I hear ya. It takes up my time also, but when I see that it's been taking up too much time and getting me nowhere which is often, I make myself STOp because it gets me nowhere. I also have a boyfriend with almost perfect skin and when I make comments about my face, he tells me he doesn't seem to think my face is that bad at all. When he comes to see me, he will tell me my face is looking so clear, and to me it's one of my worst breakouts ever. I don't avoid family or friends because almost all of them have gotten use to my acne like I have HAD to do......they don't see my acne when they look at me, they see WAY past that, just as your Dad/family and girlfriend do. Try to feel better...maybe do something nice for yourself. Buy yourself a new part for your car or a new man toy of some kind LOL...keep busy and keep your mind of the negitive stuff. I know it's hard TRUST ME and there's still plenty of times I find myself in TEARS because of this acne monster, but Im going to fight it so it doesn't destroy my life. You have to do the same!!!!

Thanx for the kind words you guys. This is exactly what I need. I KNOW what I need to do, to not let it bother me, do stay patient. For me, a lot easier said than done, which is why I posted. I think it's awesome that we are all each others little support group. Believe me, right now, I need it!

LOL Melissa, I'll have to see what kind of new man toy I can find for myself.

Damn Don, I wish I worked from home. I'd be all set :clap: I play poker as a part time job from home it that is comparable. About the BP, I've been using Dan's. Use 1/3 of finger for forehead and far sides of face, another third for cheeks, nose, and chin. Maybe this is too much? It's the amount I started with 2+ weeks ago......

Thanx again guys. I really need this

even with mild cases, i assume that women care about these things more and notice it on others more too. That's one reason i'm self conscious about my skin even though it's sort of mild

even with mild cases, i assume that women care about these things more and notice it on others more too. That's one reason i'm self conscious about my skin even though it's sort of mild

Some Women might. But the rest of us Women have our own set of issues, wether it's acne, or another worry :whistle: and while you men are over there thinking we are noticing your problems, we are really dwelling on ours. LOL, but true.

Hi!

I was in you spot, when I was 2 weeks in. Good thing, the dryness will wear off and you will have gorgeous, beautiful skin. =)

You will be happy you sticked the first couple of weeks out because you won't ever have a blemish again, it will be worth it. Trust me.

Forget about Proactiv and start afresh.

Let the irritation go down, imagine what you do when you get sunburnt, its the same.

Use ice if needed nothing else until skin isn't 'burnt'.

Download Dan's videos and watch carefully!

I think Dan should state starting dose in video as people miss it on the site or overlook it.

People are rarely allergic to BP they just use way too much and too often, it really is like sunbathing!

You must do cleanse and rinse twice a day.

When you start you use about 1/6 index finger of Dan's BP or Neutrogena on the Spot ONCE a day ONLY at night for lower face!

In morning you should moisturize, evening is optional.

Only use enuf moisturizer as needed.

Glide everything on gently.

After 1st week IF you are not clearing do BP twice a day.

2nd week ramp up BP (double dose, so 1/6->>>1/3 etc) if not clearing.

If on any day you are overly irritated you should skip next dose(s) until skin has calmed down. Next time start with half of dose.

DO NOT PICK OR SQUEEZE YOUR SKIN!

THIS MAKES RED MARKS BIGGER AND LAST LONGER!

I totally understand the anxiety and depression, I know it's easy for me to tell you above and dam hard for you to do it! I was the same. Make sure you are eating well, preferably with friends. Being underweight is bad for acne, healing, depression, anxiety and sleep.

Get drunk/merry once or twice a month with friends, I really think it's good for anxiety, but like valium if you are doing that every day then thats not an answer.

Do exercise you enjoy, go for walks, cycle. Try new things like running but dont do anything if you hate it!

It's really important you are honest with close family and friends about how you feel.

Acne is hormonal and heavily influenced by stress (anxiety).

I know you've always had acne but something has changed to aggravate it.

Adult acne especially is linked with depression and anxiety. Look at your job, relationships, where your life is going, is this stressing you out?

Thank you for the replies red, hkd, mick. I am going to stick w/ it, even though I look like poop right now. I lessened just a bit over that 2 apps. Most of the bad redness is gone and am now just very dry again in the lower cheeks and chin. Completely skipped BP on chin this morning. I can see where getting over this initial hurdle is going to benefit; I hope so anyway :pray: I think part of problem mentally is that I feel I have no control over it. I feel like no matter what I do it doesnt improve. Hopefully, this gives me some more control, both over my complexion and my life. That's another reason for inability to open up (except here). I feel inferior; that I cant fix this. Another problem I have is that I expect things to happend immediately. Like I'm going to wake up one day and everything will be gone. HAHA. Thank you for your support all. I'll keep the board updated on my progress and I'm sure I'll be here to bitch and complain too :)

Hi Goodz19,

I really felt for you when I read your posts. I too felt horribly self-conscious when I was in my teens (which is when it was at its worst), so I understand how you feel. But I also remember overhearing someone (back then) in the school bathrooms saying they thought I was one of the prettiest girls in the class. I thought she was crazy as I was covered in spots, and many of the girls around me had flawless complexions. But that just goes to show, that people can see past acne. If you have an attractive personality, people will be warm and open to you, by and large. How many times have we met an individual, thought they looked rather plain or even downright ugly (although I can't honestly say I find people ugly - even if they're disfigured), and then found them irresistably attractive (in a platonic or non-platonic sense) after getting to know them better. The trick, as hard as it sounds, is not to think about your appearance. Just forget about and don't for goodness sake shut yourself at home - you'll just get more depressed. Hold your head up high. People who overly rely on their looks/appearance often have vacuous personalities, in my humble opinion!

Thanx mad. I do try, but it's in my own head. And I'm sure I make more of a big deal about it than it should, or has to, be. But I cant help it. It's my own lack of self confidence. Part of me says I'm being too vain, but the other part of me cannot understand my I let this wreak havoc in my life. I dunno. Maybe in a few weeks I dont have this to worry about :pray:

goodz -

i am in the same prediciment you are in. i started about 2 and a half weeks ago, was dry and a little bit red, but whatever, it was expected. now, a few days ago, i became very very very red, like a bad sunburn. it does not burn or anything like that, but just very red. like a stop sign. i am seriously ready to throw in the towel. my face really does not seem that much clearer, if anything, a little worse than when i started. granted, i have what i consider "minor" acne, but still. but this extreme redness is really pissing me off.

I am only 19, but a few years ago my face started breaking out and it was really difficult to deal with. I got to the point that every time I would look at myself in the mirror I wanted to cry, so of course I tried some popular remedies. . ProActive, Acne Complex, etc. but nothing was working. I happened to stumble over this site and decided I had nothing to lose and this remedy is pretty cheap compared to others. I too thought that bp from proactive would have gotten my skin used to it, but it didn't and I learned my lesson the hard way. I've had those days when my face just feels messy and it seems a little brighter than it usually is, but one thing I've learned over the months is to know when to use a certain amount of bp. Those days when my face is really dry I don't wash my face as long and I don't apply as much bp because the irritation is not worth it. . All I can say is keep it up and just try and keep in mind how your face reacts during certain times, etc. Good luck!