Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Collegegirl

Lady (total stranger) at work basically said I need Accutane NOW!

I just got off of work and I thought I would vent about what happened today. I work at a photolab in a drugstore, so tonight I was just doing my thing when this lady came to pick up her pictures. As I was ringing her up she asks, "What are you doing for your face? I help people with their skin for a living so I was just wondering." She apparently does chemical peels, microdermabrasions, etc. I tell her that I'm on antibiotics and benzoyl peroxide and have been for 5 weeks. All of a sudden I feel like I'm at the doctor. She asks me do I have it on my back or chest. I tell her that I have a bit on my back but none on my chest. Then she asks what doctor I'm seeing and I tell her that too. Then she highly recommends a certain doctor at the same clinic but it's a different one than mine. I also had told her somewhere in there that my doctor wanted to wait and see what happened with my current prescriptions before she prescribed Accutane. She said, "Well, I don't want to touch your face, but it looks like you need Accutane, you really need to make an appointment and like I said Dr. [dermatologist] is a really good doctor, he looks kinda like a mad scientist, ha ha!"

Anyway, overall she was very nice and I appreciate her advice about my face, but it does make me feel bad that apparently my face looks so bad that total strangers feel the need to tell me what they think.

Also I would really hate to change my derm, because she was so nice and I liked her. She really seemed concerned about me and even encouraged me that it would get better.

Well, that's all. I just thought that it was the perfect story to tell you guys.

Actually i wouldnt blame her. You know whenever i'm out and i see kids with really bad acne..i think of the time when i was in school and had the same problem. And i really really itch to go up to them and tell them about Dan's regimen or something. I know i have sustained scars because i knew nuts about acne when i had it in school and i kinda pity them..because i sorta knew what could help them yet couldnt do anything about it. Btw, i always end up not doing it..because i dont wanna hurt their feelings or anything. Acne is a very sensitive issue. I knew i hated it when people talked about my skin at that age.

However i do think that pushing her doctor on you was kinda annoying...who knows..the doc could have been her husband and shes looking for business :rolleyes:

That's a really good point prettygurl about her looking for business. She actually said something about her working at a clinic nearby, at a cosmetic surgury clinic or something, but didn't say anything about her and this doctor's relationship to each other.

Well if someone had said that to me, I dont think I would have handeled the situation as well as that. I think what she did was rude, and she could have said it better. Anyway, I wouldnt change your derm. If your happy with the one youve got, then stick with em. Good friendly derms are hard to find.

More people should be willing to tell strangers about accutane, IMO. If you see someone with severe acne, tell them to nip it in the bud! That's better than not saying anything at all and allowing them to ruin their social lives for eternity.

Guest ***Mish Mosh***

It's a bit like being in a shop and going up to a fat teenager and recommending 'Weightwatchers' because it worked for them. Damn rude.

English people are more reserved than the Americans. I cant imagine that would happen here. Well I know it wouldnt, cos strangers dont speak here unless theyre forced to !!! Shop assistants in Texas used to make me jump when they said 'hello' when I walked into a shop ! :)

More people should be willing to tell strangers about accutane, IMO. If you see someone with severe acne, tell them to nip it in the bud! That's better than not saying anything at all and allowing them to ruin their social lives for eternity.

Absolutely.

I wish someone would have told me about Accutane when I was a teenager. It might have been slightly awkward for you collegegirl, but at least it's prompted you to reconsider Accutane, and to discuss it on the forum.

If she was trying to rip you off she would have tried to haul you into her shop for some useless facial. It seems pretty selfless actually, as with Accutane treatment you won't be able to use her services for up to a year. Consider the possibility that she's being genuine. As someone who deals with skin problems every day, she probably has intimate understanding of the pain and suffering acne can cause, and she wanted to spread the good word about Accutane.

Good luck.

Paul

I agree. The only reason I went to a derm was because my orthodontist of all people asked me if I was doing something about my face. I was very taken aback at the time but she had my best interests at heart, as would any other person who had said it with the right intentions.

Many people don't realise that acne can scar them if severe enough, it is indeed important to "nip it in the bud" (although preferably when it's mild).

Guest ***Mish Mosh***

Is it my Englishness, but I cant believe you lot agree !

Severe acne is the bud?! Wouldn't treating mild acne be nipping it in the bud?

Hey, if one or two pimples bothers someone, that's fine. However, i'm more concerned for people who have it severe. That's just me. Plus, in my experience, it all came at once. It really didn't start off as one or two pimples. I mean, i'd be a lot more concerned about someone who was 100 pounds overweight than 10 pounds.

Maybe i'm stupid.

Manners? So it's polite not to help someone? I call that very rude, actually. I don't care about this fake, proper etiquette thing the English have going for them. They can go sip tea at brunch and pretend everything is lovely. However, in my world, I want help. I want to help. It is rude to allow someone to go through misery.

i'd feel like shit if someone said that to me to be honest; but i imagine she just felt like giving you some advice cuz she's kinda involved in dermatology. I'm movin' to England, fuck these outgoing americans!

I did appreciate her wanting to help, and she seemed genuinely sincere; I wouldn't have answered her questions if I thought she wasn't sincere. But it's mostly just the fact that someone who didn't know me saw my face, thought it was so bad that i needed accutane, and felt the need to tell me she thought so.

It's not really that I'm complaining about her saying something I guess. I'm just a little upset about how I must look to other people. "Jesus Christ, I hope that poor girl is on Accutane!!"

Not to mention that now she has me worrying about whether I should switch derms or maybe that my doctor isn't doing what's in my best interest.

Thanks for everyone's posts already here and in advance.

It's hard to say what her intentions were, but it seems like she may have meant well, like you said. I could still understand how it would affect you, though, especially if this conversation unfolded at work.

I wish there was some way that we could feel comfortable talking to other people about acne, and offering a suggestion if it helped us without hurting someone's feelings.

If you are comfortable with your dermatologist, I would suggest sticking with her and seeing how your current treatment goes, and if that doesn't seem successful, you may have nothing to lose to check with the one she mentioned for a consultation to see how you feel.

Good luck.