Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Here's my whole long drawn out story with Dr. Alkek and his staff. I am just telling my experience.

First Visit: The lighting in the room really minimized the appearance of my scar. Dr. A says my scar doesn't look that bad. The edges are raised and inflamed. Use some Neosporin Scar Sheets and apply this hydroquinone to fade the color. Come back in 4 weeks and we might look at silicone injections if it still looks deep.

Second Visit: Dr. A is out of the office due to some botch scheduling. This is a different room than the last but I don't have time to look in a mirror to see how the lighting effects appearance of my scar. His physician's assistant says that the scar looks level but the edges are raised. He recommends 'microdermabrasion' to level the scar. I am told about 6 treatments should do the trick. (isn't it funny how it always seems to be 6 treatments of microderm in 95% of the cases you read on here?) They can't do it this visit so I have to come back.

Third Visit: Before the third visit I find out that they have a SilkPeel machine that does the microdermabrasion treatments. SilkPeels do not use crystal blasting but instead a scraper head with vacuum that dispenses topicals. I get a full face silkpeel with salicylic acid which is fine but then the technician starts to heavily scrape my scarred area. She scrapes the whole scar edges and all and some of the surrounding area. After wards I take a look in the mirror and pretty much freak. The area around my scar is blood red and swollen. The pores are dilated about twice as big as normal and the scar definitely looks deeper. I lightly scab from the peel and it comes off about 5 days later. I really think my surrounding pores were damaged from this as now I can see some of them forming lines which where not there before and others stand out alot more because they definitely bigger and deeper. I definitely don't plan to do the remaining 5 treatments.

Fourth Visit: I think Dr. A heard from his staff before this visit that I was not pleased with the silkpeel and felt it damaged my skin. This is also a different room than the first two and it really minimizes the look of the scar and the surrounding texture/pores. He says that it is not deep at all that I should worry. I say the lighting in the room makes it look much better than usual and I borrow a flashlight from him. I shine the light from a side angle which pronounces the edges and he sees it and says there are some defined edges. He recommends microdermabrasion! I said I had it already and the silkpeel messed up my texture/pores and really didn't do much improvement if any. I ask him how long they have used that machine. He says 6 months. We get into a discussion about the silkpeel and he thinks it still sandblasts crystals like their previous machine! I kindly explain to him that it does not shoot crystals but uses a scraping head. I was surprised he wasn't familiar with his own equipment but I also doubt he picked it out or uses it at all otherwise he would have known. Regardless he still recommended it again! I ask if they still have their old microderm machine and they do. I asked if spot dermabrasion would even be a possibility and he said my scar wasn't that noticeable. I ask him if he had ever done saline injections and he had never heard about that for depressed scars at all. He says my scar isn't depressed so fillers wouldn't help anyways. They don't charge me for the visit.

Dr. A is a very nice person and for someone who had 'severe acne scarring' when he was younger I really couldn't tell (maybe it was the room again?) His skin looked pretty good and I don't doubt his skills at dermabrasion but I think he takes my situation too lightly. I probably take it too seriously. Anyways he did seem not concerned with anything like scarred pores or enlarged pores at all. I don't know if he changed his recommendation to SilkPeel only because that is what his PA had recommended. But it went from possible silicone injections to no fillers at all and I know my scar hasn't changed that much!

I don't think most doctors are concerned with scarred pores and miniscule stuff like. Needless to say I really don't know what else to do now other than wait. So I am at a point of frustration.

Edited by IDBNVS2

Here's my whole long drawn out story with Dr. Alkek and his staff. I am just telling my experience.

First Visit: The lighting in the room really minimized the appearance of my scar. Dr. A says my scar doesn't look that bad. The edges are raised and inflamed. Use some Neosporin Scar Sheets and apply this hydroquinone to fade the color. Come back in 4 weeks and we might look at silicone injections if it still looks deep.

Second Visit: Dr. A is out of the office due to some botch scheduling. This is a different room than the last but I don't have time to look in a mirror to see how the lighting effects appearance of my scar. His physician's assistant says that the scar looks level but the edges are raised. He recommends 'microdermabrasion' to level the scar. I am told about 6 treatments should do the trick. (isn't it funny how it always seems to be 6 treatments of microderm in 95% of the cases you read on here?) They can't do it this visit so I have to come back.

Third Visit: Before the third visit I find out that they have a SilkPeel machine that does the microdermabrasion treatments. SilkPeels do not use crystal blasting but instead a scraper head with vacuum that dispenses topicals. I get a full face silkpeel with salicylic acid which is fine but then the technician starts to heavily scrape my scarred area. She scrapes the whole scar edges and all and some of the surrounding area. After wards I take a look in the mirror and pretty much freak. The area around my scar is blood red and swollen. The pores are dilated about twice as big as normal and the scar definitely looks deeper. I lightly scab from the peel and it comes off about 5 days later. I really think my surrounding pores were damaged from this as now I can see some of them forming lines which where not there before and others stand out alot more because they definitely bigger and deeper. I definitely don't plan to do the remaining 5 treatments.

Fourth Visit: I think Dr. A heard from his staff before this visit that I was not pleased with the silkpeel and felt it damaged my skin. This is also a different room than the first two and it really minimizes the look of the scar and the surrounding texture/pores. He says that it is not deep at all that I should worry. I say the lighting in the room makes it look much better than usual and I borrow a flashlight from him. I shine the light from a side angle which pronounces the edges and he sees it and says there are some defined edges. He recommends microdermabrasion! I said I had it already and the silkpeel messed up my texture/pores and really didn't do much improvement if any. I ask him how long they have used that machine. He says 6 months. We get into a discussion about the silkpeel and he thinks it still sandblasts crystals like their previous machine! I kindly explain to him that it does not shoot crystals but uses a scraping head. I was surprised he wasn't familiar with his own equipment but I also doubt he picked it out or uses it at all otherwise he would have known. Regardless he still recommended it again! I ask if they still have their old microderm machine and they do. I asked if spot dermabrasion would even be a possibility and he said my scar wasn't that noticeable. I ask him if he had ever done saline injections and he had never heard about that for depressed scars at all. He says my scar isn't depressed so fillers wouldn't help anyways. They don't charge me for the visit.

Dr. A is a very nice person and for someone who had 'severe acne scarring' when he was younger I really couldn't tell (maybe it was the room again?) His skin looked pretty good and I don't doubt his skills at dermabrasion but I think he takes my situation too lightly. I probably take it too seriously. Anyways he did seem not concerned with anything like scarred pores or enlarged pores at all. I don't know if he changed his recommendation to SilkPeel only because that is what his PA had recommended. But it went from possible silicone injections to no fillers at all and I know my scar hasn't changed that much!

I don't think most doctors are concerned with scarred pores and miniscule stuff like. Needless to say I really don't know what else to do now other than wait. So I am at a point of frustration.

Im sorry the silkpeel and the whole experience didnt go good for you. maybe you could try another doctor or just try to relax and see how it looks in a few months. Maybe another doctor would have the powerpeel machine or one that shoots out the crystals instead of the manual scraper on th silkpeel. Best of luck

I'm sorry everything hasn't worked out for you well.. I would go to a different derm or a cosmetic surgeon or something.. Explain to them how you know to others it might not be that big of deal but to YOU it is.. etc etc

I wish you the best!

Oh man! I feel ya, I feel ya! Why is it that docs won't listen to their patients suggestions?! I know we are absolutely no docs ourselves, but I think that we have been thorugh certain conditions with our problems which to one sense and level makes us very wise and knowing what is best for our condition. In other words, we aren't STUPID!

I had a dissapointing experience with my doc as well today, except it was somewhat the opposite of you. He was wayyy overly concerned in regards to things that didn't matter to me and this is a problem for me because the more "concerned" he was the more f*ing money he charged and I don't have much to spend. Yes, he also told me that I had to have a series of 6 microdermabrasions. I don't see 6 necessary. I agree with it being a good primer for laser treatment, but why 6?! And then comes the Accutane. He feels I need to undergo Accutane again to respond better to laser....I don't know how much all this shish will amount to!!!

Edited by GD2005

Thanks guys. I am just hoping my skin texture and jacked up pores will improve over the next few months but it might also be wishful thinking but surely it can't get worse. Of course I wish you guys the best too.

Edited by IDBNVS2

Hang in there buddy and keep looking-- thats what I have planned for tommorrow. I've got like a serious list of doc's that I am planning to call in for tommorrow, Haha! Seriously, it's so long it looks like a 15th century scroll! The only way you are going to be defeated by this is if you give up. Brave it up and don't let it get you down. Act like nothing happened and something good will come out of that attitude. You know, I've read that Accutane is good for closing up large pores. I dunno...

So has your skin improved or worsen? I know how you feel, I am frustrated w/ my scars too. I know it isn't as bad compare to others but I just cannot fix them. But I think you should try microdermabrasion. It did soften up my scars. And I did needling which helped alittle as well. Now I cannot do anything b/c I am on Accutane. But I am hoping that it will help. But Why would they scrap your scars after they did a peel on you? Wouldn't that be the same as peeling your skin prematurly? Dr. Alkek, is he one of the popular doctors on this board? But from what you are saying, he doesn't sound like he know what he is doing. At least not for mild scarring. What are you doing now to your skin? I am leaving it alone and mosituerize alot. But I think you should follow what Magneticboy is doing to his skin. Unless you have ice pick scarring (like me) then I don't know what to tell you.

I do realize my pores has shrinked from taking Accutane. But it hasn't help any of my scars or scars pores., just regular pores.

You know...I just came in from the bathroom mirror after my nightly wash routine and reanalyzing my skin for the umpteenth time my skin is always stretchy after I wash it, but then again throughout the day it begins to get greasy and oily and disgusting. One thing I noticed is that if I got rid of many of the dark after-spots and red dots within the scars I would have rated my scarring at a 30% improvement.

I'm actually even debating on whether I should go on Accutane again since for the past 5 months I have been breaking out more and more often, something which hadn't happened in 2 yrs. after I took it in 2003.

Aye, I know exactly what you mean. I was gonna make a thread about it in the future asking people about what they thought. Dermatologists don't see scarred and/or enlarged pores as a medical concern/skin condition, and generally disregard it, in my opinion. I was thinking that maybe a cosmetic surgeon would be a better bet, seeing that they deal with aesthetics and stuff of this nature? It's confusing to decide between a dermatologist or cosmetic surgeon for scar treatments.

Derms are clueless, some people on this board know more then most derms, all theyre good for is writting antibiotic scripts. I cant see how a surgeon can master a skill if they advertise 30 different procedures on their site. you name it and they claim they can do it. They shouldnt be authorized to perform such a wide variety of procedures. jack of all trades master of none. Insurance companies not paying for scar revision also contribute to our dilema, cause this only means less patients for them to practice on, until you and I walk in thru their door.

Collin I think your only other good option here is to let everything heal up wait till january and go see DR Y, unless you know of another Dr you trust. Right now iam mixing emu oil and 10 percent glycolic cream with microderm crystals, retina a on some nights, and that worked best for me. I seen so much improvement in the past few months, unfortunately my progress was also wiped out with one agressive power peel session. Good luck brother.

Edited by s500

Hey IDBNVS2 I really feel sorry for you. I also respect you for bringing good posts on this board....this story is an incitament to try to do these treatments on your own. I don't dare to let a dermatoligist do something to my face...he could fuck it up.

I really hope your skin condition will improve - and at least turn back to it's old state before the procedure!

Edited by zxc

Thanks everyone. My skin/scar is definitely worse off after the silkpeel than before. I don't know if it will get back to the original state.

The silkpeel disaster is probably more a function of his technician thinking that she could use it aggressively just like their older microderm machine but the two are totally different. There is a huge difference when you are blasting crystals perpendicularly to the skin and when you are taking a scraper and scraping the skin side to side. With the blasting you control the depth by time and machine pressure. With the silkpeel the person just applies whatever hand pressure they feel necessary as they scrape which isn't exactly good control.

Don't get me wrong Dr. A is a good person and knowledgeable but he just doesn't take things as seriously as most of us would and he and most derms should really have different lighting conditions available when examining your skin. Maybe Dr. A just knows the limitations of his treatments and doesn't think any of them will make a significant improvement other than the silkpeel which I sure as hell won't be going back for. I still don't understand why he thinks it's not indented though even after I used the flashlight. I hope at least they will take my feedback into consideration and avoid doing an aggressive silkpeel on future patients.

Edited by IDBNVS2

Hello IDBNVS2,

I am sorry to hear your procedure didn't turn out the way you'd hoped. I feel you on the whole DR stuff too. It sometimes seems as if we are better educated than they are about certain procedures. That's not to say that they aren't smart, I think sometimes they overburden themselves with too many patients and become somewhat burnt out over time, so they don't keep as up to date as they should. Plus they treat patients as a "number' rather than an individual.

I guess that's why I'd rather try scar revision at home using TCA and peels, I don't trust MDs for the most part after hearing so many bad expereinces from people on here. I appreciate it when someone who has had a positive experience posts about it on here. Good luck. I feel your frustration.