Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
blondegirl21

What ingredient in TOOTHPASTE causes breakouts? & Which toothpaste is safe?

I don't think your toothpaste likely has anything to do with your acne, unless you put it on your face.

well I always break out around my lips/mouth area, and someone said that most toothpastes have this one ingredient that is highly comedogenic and that ever since they switched to a toothpaste without it, they havent been breaking out around their mouth.

its claimed that fluoride causes breakouts. the reason some say to put it on your spots is because some toothpastes have baking soda and/or peroxide which dries the spot out.

yes, toothpaste on a pimple may dry it out; howeve,r the toothpast may cause additional breakouts. furthermore, it will, most of the time, actually end up irritating your pimple/skin instead of helping. in conclusion, don't use toothpaste!

It's probably Sodium Lauryl Sulfate. You find this stuff as well as it's sister (Sodium Laureth Sulfate) in many of the products around your house. These two are well known to clog pores and some people are allergic to the stuff which could be the cause of some of your acne.

The Sodium Lauryl Sulfate and Fluoride in toothpastes break me out around my mouth.

I switched to a product called Jason's Natural Powersmile toothpaste. It's SLS and fluoride free.

As a bonus, my teeth are looking great because it has some special bamboo powder which helps get surface stains off teeth.