Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
WMMnGA

Wendy's Accutane Journal

Monday, 11/7/05 - Day 1

I got the call back from my derm this morning. Bloodwork was fine, so I picked up my Accutane (well the generic, Sotret) and 10 day prednisone course this afternoon. My starting dose is 40mg. I plan to pop my first Accutane pill tonight with dinner, and start the prednisone with breakfast in the morning. I went to get the following "basic" supplies today - Cetaphil gentle cleanser, Oil of Olay Complete SPF 15 moisturizer for sensitive skin (anyone ever tried this one??), Neosporin lip treatment and Blistex lip infusion (will rotate the two depending on severity of dryness), Murine Tears eyedrops, and tons of bottled water to drink. I'm sure I'll be adding more to the list as time goes on.

Here we go...will update a few times a week at first I'm sure.

hey good luck, im making an appointment with my derm and dont have insurance, my saved money for a new car is gonna be gone !! but acnes free = happiness so i guess its worth it. Keep updating ok, pics would be great !!

hey wendy-i started accutane almost two weeks ago. i'm 35 and ready to get rid of this mess!!! so far, my chapped lips are the only thing that's really driving me nuts.(i hope you have better luck with the neosporin lip stuff, i don't really like it---i'm hooked on burts bees lip balm). i just read today in some journal about a "waxy" look to tane skin during the first few weeks...i hadn't read that yet--especially interesting since my skin is dry, not oily. anyway, didn't expect it so i thought i'd share!!! good luck!!!

Tuesday, 11/8/05 - Day 2

Nothing much to report. I did have another massive headache today, but I still think it the result of the birth control pill since it started before Accutane. I'm so sick of them, they start in the early afternoon and progressively get worse as they day wears on. I took Motrin for it AGAIN, I really hope these cease because I don't want to have to add a daily motrin or two to my already assortment of pills (tane, prednisone, bcp, and paxil a few times a week...trying to wean myself from that). Other than that, I had some dizziness this morning after taking the prednisone, and this afternoon I had a weird ache/muscle weekness sensation in my legs..don't know what that was all about. Besides that, everything is still ok. I am getting a tingling sensation in my lips when I tighten them. I can tell they are going to suffer already though, because while they are not dry yet, they are soaking up the lip balm right when I put it on. It normally feels awful and slimy for a while after I apply it. My shoulders hurt too, but thats nothing new with me. I doubt it has anything to do with the accutane.

So far, so good! ;)

hey wendy-i started accutane almost two weeks ago. i'm 35 and ready to get rid of this mess!!! so far, my chapped lips are the only thing that's really driving me nuts.(i hope you have better luck with the neosporin lip stuff, i don't really like it---i'm hooked on burts bees lip balm). i just read today in some journal about a "waxy" look to tane skin during the first few weeks...i hadn't read that yet--especially interesting since my skin is dry, not oily. anyway, didn't expect it so i thought i'd share!!! good luck!!!

Wednesday, 11/9/05 - Day 3

Hey, day 3 of Accutane. I wake up this morning, shower, and I swear my face looks MUCH less inflamed. Prednisone working maybe? Only thing is my face is still oily as ever (actually seems a bit more oily), and my pores on my nose and the cheeks next to my nose look bigger and darker. Yuck. All the junk has got to come to the surface tho. There was a small lingering pustule between my eye and hairline, and it has come to a huge white head today, but isn't really sore like they usually are. Last night a few of the current cysts on my face were itchy, I tried my best not to scratch and pick.

My fingernails hurt...WTF? The nailbed feels sore. I can't open anything with them because they are so sensitive.

Lips and skin are still ok, which, in a way, is disappointing because I want to know this stuff is working. I'm sure I'll be eating those words in the next couple of weeks. :lol2:

Hey Wendy,

Lots of luck to you girl. I will be lurking on your log. I am 27 yrs old and have had cystic acne forever; however, I only usually get a cyst here and there, which is still bad because they scar. Talked to my derm about accutane yesterday. She said she would put me on a low dose if I wanted, but I'm afraid (mostly of the breakout!). I will check out your progress and maybe make a decision. Thanks for sharing.

hey wendy-i hope your first month is going ok--hey where did your MIL find tubes of aquaphor? i've read all these journals that rave about the stuff and i can't find the tubes!!! have you read "sarahs accutane journal...adventures in lip balm"? it is hilarious!!!!and very encouraging. i go next week for my first months follow up blood work--then back to the derm the following monday;i'm on 20mg in the morn and 40mg at night.. 5 months to go!!! anyway, just wanted you to remember you're not alone---just think how great our skin will look next summer!!! until then i'm ok to hide out this winter and hord chapstick!:)

I'm about 2 months and change into my accutane. I was started off with 10mg's, then 20, then 40, then 60, and now I'm at 80. Prednisone did WONDERS for me. I had some serious inflamation on my face and Prednisone took it all away almost immediately. I saw results by the next day. I was on it for maybe a week and a half. I still believe that was the huge turning point in my face by using Prednisone.

Thursday 11/10/05 & Friday 11/11/05 - Days 4-5

Sorry I didn't get a chance to post an update yesterday, but it doesn't really matter since there's not much of a change. My inflammation is down alot, but this morning I woke up to a big cyst over my lip, 2 on my left cheek near the cheekbone, and little whiteheads all around the left side of my mouth/chin..ugggh! I know, it has to get worse before it gets better, so hopefully this is the beginning of my initial breakout. Just didn't think it would come so soon. Good news is the cysts seem to be going down pretty quick with help of the prednisone and accutane, they arent near as big as they were this morning and not as sore.

I have noticed that my skin is starting to take on the dreaded "waxy" appearance, and it's causing my makeup to look like total shit. The scarring on my cheeks also looks more apparent, but I am bound to notice that since the inflammation from the cysts is going down. Shows me just *how* bad the scarring really is, especially in bright light. :( Before I didn't notice much scarring at all...something I'll have to tackle after getting rid of the active acne, and months after Accutane.

I haven't experienced many side effects yet (knock on wood), just minor ones that I can easily deal with.

*slightly dry lips and a bit of peeling, nothing out of the norm for me in cold, windy weather

* waxy appearance of skin that I mentioned above.

* tightness of face right after washing, but still gets oily relatively quickly.

* the current cysts on my face are itchy

I'm still a little discouraged, but I must chin up because its still early in the game. I'm so glad the inflammation has lessened, it's the red marks and makeup looking awful that has got me down.

A couple of more days I'll have one week down, plenty more to go.

Edited by WMMnGA

hey wendy-i hope your first month is going ok--hey where did your MIL find tubes of aquaphor? i've read all these journals that rave about the stuff and i can't find the tubes!!! have you read "sarahs accutane journal...adventures in lip balm"? it is hilarious!!!!and very encouraging. i go next week for my first months follow up blood work--then back to the derm the following monday;i'm on 20mg in the morn and 40mg at night.. 5 months to go!!! anyway, just wanted you to remember you're not alone---just think how great our skin will look next summer!!! until then i'm ok to hide out this winter and hord chapstick!:)

Thanks, everything is going well so far! I think I'm venturing into my initial breakout already..better sooner than later! My MIL was given the tubes of aquaphor at the hospital after her mother had a stroke. She was unable to stay hydrated properly and they gave it to her to apply to her skin, lips, etc. to keep her comfortable as possible. Unfortunately she didn't live long after :(

She had several extra sample tubes laying around and gave them to me after talking to her about accutane.

How are you doing so far?? Acne improved at all? I hate to know that other's have to deal with acne, it's a bitch, but glad to know I have other's to talk to that know what I'm going through! Here's hoping for great skin by next summer. :cool:

I'm about 2 months and change into my accutane. I was started off with 10mg's, then 20, then 40, then 60, and now I'm at 80. Prednisone did WONDERS for me. I had some serious inflamation on my face and Prednisone took it all away almost immediately. I saw results by the next day. I was on it for maybe a week and a half. I still believe that was the huge turning point in my face by using Prednisone.

The prednisone is working well for me too. I have been taking it for 5 days now and noticed a SUBSTANTIAL difference in the amount of swelling and inflammation of the current cysts. I questioned it at first, but now I'm glad the derm decided to prescribe.

Hi Wendy. Just wondering what you do for a living... Does your acne affect your profession (credibility, confidence, etc)? When I looked at your gallery, I wouldn't have guessed you were 25. People always say I still look like I'm in high school, and I'm 26. I'm sure there's a connection.

BTW, I love your pug picture. We're planning on getting one soon. :D

Well, good luck with your Accutane. Hang in there!

Edited by Mrs. B.

Hi Wendy. Just wondering what you do for a living... Does your acne affect your profession (credibility, confidence, etc)? When I looked at your gallery, I wouldn't have guessed you were 25. People always say I still look like I'm in high school, and I'm 26. I'm sure there's a connection.

BTW, I love your pug picture. We're planning on getting one soon. :D

Well, good luck with your Accutane. Hang in there!

Fortunately I am a stay at home mom to my 3 kids. :) I am so thankful I am not working at the moment and don't have to face others besides my family on a daily basis. I am very self conscious about my acne issues, even to the point of embarrassment when my husband sees me without makeup.

I get the age comment alot. Funny story about that (here I go...lol)- I went to see a rated R movie with my mom recently, and left my purse locked in the car. We got up to the window and she preceeded to ask me if I had my ID. I said no, not sure why she would need it anyway, and she said "Is that your mom?" I was like "uuuh yes" and she said, thats ok, as long as a parent is with you." :lol2: People find it so hard to believe that I am 25..well closer to 26 (in January). We may have to deal with acne, but at least we have that going for us, huh?

I'd love to see pics of your pug when you get it, ours is like a 4th kid! lol

Three kids? Wow. I've got some catching up to do... but not in the next 6 months. ;)

I was chaperoning a high school dance... At the very same event, a parent asked me which high schooler was my child :shock: (now that's a first) and the DJ asked me why I'd come to a dance and not dance :rolleyes: .

I give up.

Saturday, 11/12/05 - Day 6

I must say that today my skin is looking better than it has in a loooong time, with the exception of the lingering cyst above the right corner of my mouth. It's not sore but still swollen. I did my makeup and for once I was pleased with the way it looked. I was reading some of the concealer tips on the makeup forum last night...they seemed to help. There is hardly any inflammation or soreness in my face...refreshing to wash my face and not cringe when I touch it. I thought I was getting an initial breakout a couple of days ago, when I broke out in a couple of cysts and tiny whiteheads, but it didn't last long. I hope I don't get overly confident about this so soon only to break out terribly in the next month. My skin is still isn't all that dry. It's tight and uncomfortable right after I wash it and doesn't get oily as quick but it is still super oily when I wake up in the morn. My lips have started to take a beating, my bottom one is cracked in the middle. Could be worse though. I'm using the aquaphor religiously.

The healing cysts are still itching like mad, that is by far the most bothersome side effect.

Other than that, still doing well, and noticing improvement already{knocking on wood again}!

So glad to hear you are looking better already!! I'm soooo hoping that I have a smooth transition into this medicine again. Last time I took it I cleared up within days and skipped that whole initial breakout thing...

Aquaphor really is better than anything else out there for lips!!

I must say that today my skin is looking better than it has in a loooong time, with the exception of the lingering cyst above the right corner of my mouth. It's not sore but still swollen. I did my makeup and for once I was pleased with the way it looked. I was reading some of the concealer tips on the makeup forum last night...they seemed to help. There is hardly any inflammation or soreness in my face...refreshing to wash my face and not cringe when I touch it. I thought I was getting an initial breakout a couple of days ago, when I broke out in a couple of cysts and tiny whiteheads, but it didn't last long. I hope I don't get overly confident about this so soon only to break out terribly in the next month. My skin is still isn't all that dry. It's tight and uncomfortable right after I wash it and doesn't get oily as quick but it is still super oily when I wake up in the morn. My lips have started to take a beating, my bottom one is cracked in the middle. Could be worse though. I'm using the aquaphor religiously.

The healing cysts are still itching like mad, that is by far the most bothersome side effect.

Other than that, still doing well, and noticing improvement already{knocking on wood again}!

So glad to hear you are looking better already!! I'm soooo hoping that I have a smooth transition into this medicine again. Last time I took it I cleared up within days and skipped that whole initial breakout thing...

Sunday 11/13/05 & Monday 11/14/05 - Days 7 & 8

Forgive me if this is jumbled, it's late and I'm running off very little sleep.

Again, nothing extrodinary to report.

Sometimes I feel like I'm not even taking anything at all. ::sigh:::

I did get some new cysts on the jawline overnight, and about 5 or 6 small whiteheads. Woohoo, lucky me! More than last time, so maybe *this* is the initial breakout. Who knows, really. My face had gotten so bad right before I started taking Accutane that its hard to tell what's new and what's not. :razz: The only way I can tell is by the soreness of the spots. If they are sore, I know they are new, the old, healing ones still feel like a small hard lump under the skin, but they aren't sore. I have noticed they pop up and it doesn't take long for them to start shrinking and healing. Nothing like before when the big ones would stay red and swollen for WEEKS. The short healing time is a rather pleasant effect of the accutane. My red spots also appear to be fading somewhat. My cheeks are now almost clear (with the exception of red marks), my biggest problem at this point is my jawline and around my mouth. The breakout I had a couple of weeks ago on my forehead is still apparent, but quickly fading.

This morning I noticed a lump under the skin between my eyes and a I freaked. Pre Accutane I would occasionally get this HUGE and ugly (well, none of them are what you would call beautiful but you KWIM..lol) cyst between my eyes. It literally looked like I was growing a damn horn. I thought that particular one was returning, but I notice tonight it's went down..whew, close call.

Side effects are minimal, my lips aren't as dry as they were and I haven't had to use lip balm as much today..used Vaseline advanced lip therapy twice, I've been combining it with my lipliner to make a lip tint instead of wearing regular lipstick. Haven't used the aquaphor today. My skin still gets oily after a while and isn't flaky, scaly, etc. (this is getting repetitive huh?). This kinda concerned me, because I want to be assured that I am getting an adequate dosage. I'll prob be upped to 60mg at the beginning of December anyway, according to my derm...he prefers to start at 40mg.

I walked alot today and my legs are aching so so bad...I am in decent shape so they usually don't ache that easily. Tane maybe? My face is still itching on occasion, especially my forehead...errrr i have to use lots of restraint to keep from scratching those healing uglies and making them worse.

Anyhow...a week into treatment and my outlook is positive. No big complaints, no severe side effects. I can't wait to get farther into my treatment when the more noticable changes will take place!

Ok, lets try this again, my posts are not going through tonight on the first try :wall:

Thanks! I should have started a loooong time ago, but no, I had only heard about the "bad" side of Accutane and remained skeptical until something had to be done. Would have saved me alot of scarring on the cheeks. :cry: Did my research, and here I am!

I hope this course works for you as well as your last! You were so lucky to escape the initial breakout!

hey wendy-hang in there and keep writing! i appreciate you sharing your experience. well-i thought i'd give you an update on where i am. i'm not that far ahead of you-i'm in my third week;and like i mentioned before i get my first months bloodwork tomorrow and derm appt. on mon..i guess i am in the intial breakout--i don't have incredibly horrible all over acne but i am definately cystic and it takes me forever to get rid of one pimple! but i do have to say i'm a picker--face, not nose..(my 4 yr old son on the other hand....) anyway,on tane my zits have become different and after i've picked when i heal i get this like big flake of skin that comes off all at once(but the redness stays).ok so i'm grossing myself out. by the way, this totally cracks me up that we can get on the computer and share all our personal hygene! anyway...count me in-i feel like you guys can definately relate! you mentioned your legs hurting-my neck is hurting;joint pain.don't have any solutions there! and i've never had dandruff before, i dont really see flakes, but my scalp is itching. i've read on other peoples journals that they stopped washing their hair so much but that's all i want to do! i went to the whole foods market and got another new lip balm yesterday-my lips have been chapped but-oh my gosh-yesterday they were really dry and my bottom lip started to crack. i got this stuff i read about (again) in someone's accutane journal. it's called lysine. it is really for cold sores(which i don't have) but i love it!my lip didn't crack and it's the first thing that actually makes them feel like something is penatrating in there! it better work it was 5.99!

one last thing i wanted to tell you-i saw a friend of mine that i hadn't seen in 7 or 8 months and her skin looked amazing and i commented on it---she said well...i'm in my fifth month of accutane. she is a big advocate of aquaphor to get through the chapped lips. i mean i looked close---no make up and not a blackhead in sight!!!! there is hope!!!!

by the way my derm started me off with 20mg in the morn and 40mg at night, i use cetaphil wash and moisturizer, and of course i now have enough lipbalm to serve a third world country...so here is my ? - i was using a foundation with salacylic acid and it's way too drying (anyway-i don't think i'm suppossed to use it now anyway) what kind of make-up are you using?

Friday 11/18/05 - Day 12

Hey everyone, sorry for the lack of updates, been busy with nothing much new to report.

I have returned today to tell ya that the evils of Accutane are now among me.. (playing music of doom...lol). I went from very mild, barely noticable side effects, to BAM, one thing after another. I am only on day 12, I hope to god it doesnt get any worse. I had an awful anger outburst yesterday(geared towards hubby, lucky him) that ended with me sobbing uncontrollably wondering what in the hell was wrong with me. I can't lay the blame directly on Accutane, because I started having mood swings before starting tane but after starting birth control pills. My son was also sick and had been up all night crying non stop so I was frazzled anyway.

Here's a list of my other recently developed symptoms

- daily headache, sometimes moderate to severe, mostly centered in the sinus area (dry sinuses?)

- dry eyes

- PARCHED lips (they are cracked and were dotted with blood this morning)

- terrible muscle aches after even non vigorous activity

- knee/joint pain

- slightly dry hair

Yeah that will teach me to complain about lack of side effects again.

My face is looking better every day, I only have maybe 2 active cysts at the moment (small ones) and a couple of small pustles around the mouth that could have been aggravated by the aquaphor. I have noticed the rolling scars on my cheeks seem to be looking worse and worse, but you can't win 'em all huh? Don't think the tane is going to do much for those. I'd much rather have to live with those than HUGE nodules all over my face :doubt:

Have to run, baby is crying! I might update more later this evening!

hey wendy-hang in there and keep writing! i appreciate you sharing your experience. well-i thought i'd give you an update on where i am. i'm not that far ahead of you-i'm in my third week;and like i mentioned before i get my first months bloodwork tomorrow and derm appt. on mon..i guess i am in the intial breakout--i don't have incredibly horrible all over acne but i am definately cystic and it takes me forever to get rid of one pimple! but i do have to say i'm a picker--face, not nose..(my 4 yr old son on the other hand....) anyway,on tane my zits have become different and after i've picked when i heal i get this like big flake of skin that comes off all at once(but the redness stays).ok so i'm grossing myself out. by the way, this totally cracks me up that we can get on the computer and share all our personal hygene! anyway...count me in-i feel like you guys can definately relate! you mentioned your legs hurting-my neck is hurting;joint pain.don't have any solutions there! and i've never had dandruff before, i dont really see flakes, but my scalp is itching. i've read on other peoples journals that they stopped washing their hair so much but that's all i want to do! i went to the whole foods market and got another new lip balm yesterday-my lips have been chapped but-oh my gosh-yesterday they were really dry and my bottom lip started to crack. i got this stuff i read about (again) in someone's accutane journal. it's called lysine. it is really for cold sores(which i don't have) but i love it!my lip didn't crack and it's the first thing that actually makes them feel like something is penatrating in there! it better work it was 5.99!

one last thing i wanted to tell you-i saw a friend of mine that i hadn't seen in 7 or 8 months and her skin looked amazing and i commented on it---she said well...i'm in my fifth month of accutane. she is a big advocate of aquaphor to get through the chapped lips. i mean i looked close---no make up and not a blackhead in sight!!!! there is hope!!!!

by the way my derm started me off with 20mg in the morn and 40mg at night, i use cetaphil wash and moisturizer, and of course i now have enough lipbalm to serve a third world country...so here is my ? - i was using a foundation with salacylic acid and it's way too drying (anyway-i don't think i'm suppossed to use it now anyway) what kind of make-up are you using?

Funny you should mention your son's "picking" habit. My 4 year old daughter is the same way. :lol2:

I will be sure to look for the Lysine, my lips are now parched and I'm applying aquaphor and Vaseline Lip therapy at least every half hour. It might be a little more expensive, but if it works its well worth the $$!

I was also previously using a foundation with SA (Almay clear complexion) but was afraid it would become too drying, so now I am rotating Revlon Colorstay Foundation (their buff shade matches my skin tone perfectly and thats a rarity) and Lancome Teint Idole Foundation while waiting for the Laura Mercier to arrive. Both the colorstay and Lancome tend to look cakey. :/ I'm a self proclaimed makeup whore..lol.

I am also waiting on Jane Iredale covercare concealer, but using Physicians Formula concealer twins for the time being. Don't like it though, it settles into the scars on my cheeks. I have yet to find a concealer I like, but I've heard rave reviews about Jane Iredale. I'll let you know how it works. :)

hey Wendy, im starting accutane in like 3 days and i will go on 60mg/day. So excited but then scare of the side effects as well ..... i wish i could stay home like u but then i have to work to pay for my treatments and school also, man my life sucks

Tuesday 11/22/05 - Day 16

Well, I'm back from my lil mini vacation and let me just say this..my face is SORE.

So sore, in fact, I can't stand to talk, smile, or use any sort of expression. Yeah, you guessed it, I am in the midst of the dreaded initial breakout...no doubt about it this time. I had a hard time believing that my acne could get any worse than it was right before I started accutane, but alas, it has reared it's ugly head (or several heads, technically speaking) to prove me wrong. Just in time for Thanksgiving too..woo effing hoo.

They have popped up EVERYWHERE...3-4 cysts and too many whiteheads/pustles to count. I have them on my forehead, close to the jawline on both sides, and around the mouth. It's painful and depressing. I guess I'll be spending thanksgiving alone at home because there is no way I'm leaving the house like this. It started Sunday so I am in my 3rd day of this $hit...when does it start getting better?!?! It feels like it just keeps getting worse. :(

Current side effects:

- headache (mild now, they have lessened)

- dry scratchy sinues

- sides/crease of nose on both sides dry, cracked, flaky

- itchy scalp

- twitching muscles

- excema rash on back of hands and wrists

There are a few more but I'm soooo sleepy I'm falling out here at the keyboard. Will update again tomorrow.

Wendy,

Sorry to hear that you are having a hard time, but at least you know that accutane is effecting you and it'll be good to get the crap out of the way early so that going forward you see improvement. Hang in there, you know it works and you'll get through this.

Thursday 11/24/05 - Day 18

Taking a chance by saying this, but it looks like my initial breakout is calming down already. No new active cysts or whiteheads/pustules today, and the current ones seem to be getting smaller (although it could be wishful thinking). My face still looks gross and swollen, but I did force myself to go to the in-laws for thanksgiving. Don't think anyone paid attention to my face, because no one said anything or looked at me any differently..hell they are all probably used to me looking like a freak by now. My cousin and I are going shopping in the morning for black friday sales, so that's another hurdle for me. I just hate facing people like this, but can't miss out on those sales! :lol2:

My lips have been giving me hell today, they are cracked and bleeding despite using the aquaphor every hour.

My skin was so dry this morning after showering, I could hardly get my makeup to smooth and blend over my face. I'm so not used to that, I had become accustomed to a face comparable to an oil slick, so it doesn't really bother me all that much.

I LOVE the fact that my hair/scalp is dry and I don't have to wash my hair daily. Before Accutane, I could wash my hair in the morn and it would be oily by night.

The excema on the backs of my hands is getting worse, but I have to admit I haven't been moisturizing anything properly besides my face.

Nothing else new to report...I am dealing with a MAJOR toothache today which sucks because my dental insurance is exhausted for the year and I need a root canal. It hurts so bad, I've been popping Advil all day long. :cry: My dentist called in Lorcet for me, but I don't know if I can take it with Accutane. Guess I'll have to put in a call to the derm if it gets any worse.