Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
blondegirl21

JANE IREDALE "Disappear" concealer. Has anyone used this?

I hear it covers really well and is supposed to be good for your skin and not cause breakouts. The reviews over at makeupalley were really good.

Ingredients: Water, Isopropyl Jojobate, Simmodisa Chisensis (Jojoba) Alcohol, Jojoba Esters, Glycerin, Titanium Dioxide, Stearic Acid, Cyclomethicone, Tribehenin, Glycerl Stearate, PEG-100 Stearate, Xanthan Gum, Superoxide Dismutase, Camellia Sinensis (Green Tea) Leaf Extract, Salix Alba (Willow) Bark Extract, Magnesium Ascorbyl Phosphate (Vitamin C), Amica Montana Flower Extract, Algae Extract, Vanilla Tahitensis Fruit Extract, Prunus Amygdalus Dulcia (Sweet Almond) Fruit Extract, Bisobolol.

Let me know what you all think, thanks!

its what i'm currently using. its pretty good, average coverage, i just feel good knowing i'm applying something to my skin that will help my acne not make it worse. word of caution though... the colors are very dark so if you can buy it in the store.. do so. if your ordering off the internet pick which color you think is best and then go a shade lighter. :)

Guest Poker-Butt

i wanted to try this makeup but i just dont know what shade id be...i had to go through so much trial and error w/ my bare minerals that a new line would be like starting all over

Pokerbutt, i don't know where you live, but if you go to jane irdale.com you can put in your zip and it shows retailers near you. its mostly places that do microderms, ect... but they are way more expensive than the internet. but i went just to find my best shade... just a thought if you wanted to switch

Hey blondegirl.

I've used this product for some time (upwards of 5 months). I bought it along w/ a Jane Iredale pressed powder (which is a mineral foundation, w/ titanium dioxide, zinc oxide, etc.). I really do like it. The ingredients do not rate comedogenic. And it has never caused any break-outs for me. It provides medium coverage (meaning, if you have darker pigmented lesions you're trying to cover up, they may show through a bit, but the powder provides a nice finish, and it becomes tough to see blemishes).

There was a JI dealer close to me, so I went it and tried out the products, along w/ the help of a cosmetician. If you do have a dealer near you (like AEC101 recommended, you can check their website for locations), it's best to try it on. I would not have guessed at the correct color for me w/out trying it on.

If you decide to get the powder as well as your foundation, it's not particularly cheap either! Also, if you have enlarged pores, pitted scars, or wrinkles, I would suggest the pressed powder over the loose powder which has more mica and has a more light-capturing glowing effect (think of J.Lo's glowing skin make-up), which has a tendency to enhance the flaws. The cosmetician who helped me explained this to me, and to demonstrate did each 1/2 of my face separately w/ each product, and the pressed powder was much better for me (I have enlarged pores).

Also, it's not a bad idea to put a bit of bronzer on the areas that would normally be "sun-kissed" to give a more natural finish (not too mask-like and uniform). Bronzers are basically blushes in neutral earth-tones. JI carries some nice ones, but that's another big blow to the budget, so if you can't afford it and already have a nice non-comedogenic bronzer/blush, apply that (to apples of cheeks, and lightly to the forehead and chin for the "sun-kissed" effect).

I should say, when I 1st finish putting on my make-up, I do have a bit of a matte effect (prob. would not be the case w/ the loose powder, but that one's not right for me), but after about 15 min, my own skin oils blend w/ the make-up and it looks much more natural. You don't need to do anything to achieve this effect. As long as your skin produces some oil on its own, this happens.

Honestly, I haven't gotten so many compliments on my skin until I started using JI. Over the summer, my skin had cleared up (w/ products from the derm) and I just had pigmentation from old acne. The JI concealer and JI pressed powder combo, along w/ a nice bronzer for a nice finish were what I was using any time I got complimented on my skin. Me, get complimented on my skin! Huh! :D

I hope this helps. Cheers, Roxy.

Edited by roxtar

Hey blondegirl.

I've used this product for some time (upwards of 5 months). I bought it along w/ a Jane Iredale pressed powder (which is a mineral foundation, w/ titanium dioxide, zinc oxide, etc.). I really do like it. The ingredients do not rate comedogenic. And it has never caused any break-outs for me. It provides medium coverage (meaning, if you have darker pigmented lesions you're trying to cover up, they may show through a bit, but the powder provides a nice finish, and it becomes tough to see blemishes).

There was a JI dealer close to me, so I went it and tried out the products, along w/ the help of a cosmetician. If you do have a dealer near you (like AEC101 recommended, you can check their website for locations), it's best to try it on. I would not have guessed at the correct color for me w/out trying it on.

If you decide to get the powder as well as your foundation, it's not particularly cheap either! Also, if you have enlarged pores, pitted scars, or wrinkles, I would suggest the pressed powder over the loose powder which has more mica and has a more light-capturing glowing effect (think of J.Lo's glowing skin make-up), which has a tendency to enhance the flaws. The cosmetician who helped me explained this to me, and to demonstrate did each 1/2 of my face separately w/ each product, and the pressed powder was much better for me (I have enlarged pores).

Also, it's not a bad idea to put a bit of bronzer on the areas that would normally be "sun-kissed" to give a more natural finish (not too mask-like and uniform). Bronzers are basically blushes in neutral earth-tones. JI carries some nice ones, but that's another big blow to the budget, so if you can't afford it and already have a nice non-comedogenic bronzer/blush, apply that (to apples of cheeks, and lightly to the forehead and chin for the "sun-kissed" effect).

I should say, when I 1st finish putting on my make-up, I do have a bit of a matte effect (prob. would not be the case w/ the loose powder, but that one's not right for me), but after about 15 min, my own skin oils blend w/ the make-up and it looks much more natural. You don't need to do anything to achieve this effect. As long as your skin produces some oil on its own, this happens.

Honestly, I haven't gotten so many compliments on my skin until I started using JI. Over the summer, my skin had cleared up (w/ products from the derm) and I just had pigmentation from old acne. The JI concealer and JI pressed powder combo, along w/ a nice bronzer for a nice finish were what I was using any time I got complimented on my skin. Me, get complimented on my skin! Huh! :D

I hope this helps. Cheers, Roxy.

Thanks so much roxy for your detailed long reply, I loved it! And you helped me out alot. So all I should need is the dissapear in my color, the pressed base, and a bronzer? I have moderate acne when I do breakout so i do need at least medium coverage. Have you ever tried the absence base? Its supposed to control oil I believe and its white? just curious if thats safe for the skin too. Thanks

Thanks so much roxy for your detailed long reply, I loved it! And you helped me out alot. So all I should need is the dissapear in my color, the pressed base, and a bronzer? I have moderate acne when I do breakout so i do need at least medium coverage. Have you ever tried the absence base? Its supposed to control oil I believe and its white? just curious if thats safe for the skin too. Thanks

I just sent you a pm, blondegirl, the contents of which I'm cutting a pasting here for others to read, if it could help them. OOPS! I forgot to answer a part of your question in the pm about the absence base. I've never used it. I went to JI's website and can't find the ingredients listed, though I'm assuming it's also titanium dioxide and zinc oxide based (just like the other powders). These are great non-comedogenic ingredients that also provide broad-spectrum sun protection. On the other hand, I'm not sure if this is more of a gimmick than an actual needed product. If it's the same ingredients as say the pressed powder, minus the pigments which give the various shades, then why would you need it at all? The pressed power itself, IMO, gives very good oil and shine control (if anything, the pressed powder is almost too matte, which is why I explained in the 1st post about this fading w/ time and w/ mixture w/ your own oils). You should find out if it's the same ingredients w/out the pigment, in which case I would save my money on this one, if I were you. If it does have an additional oil-controlling ingredient, then you may want to try it out at a retailer (say one side of the face w/ and the other w/out) and see if it's worth spending the extra money on this.

As for the rest of your questions, I answered in the pm, which I'll repost here for others:

No problem, blondegirl. Several months back, I went through this search, so I'm happy to share what I've found out and my own experience w/ the products.

Yes, I would go w/ the cover-up, "Disappear", and the pressed powder: for sure, you'll get pretty decent coverage w/ the 2. If you get a chance to go to a retailer where they'll do a trial of products on you, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised by the good coverage you get. Also, the make-up (at least the powder) is highly water-resistant. In the summer, on a number of occasions, I wore it and played beach volleyball in the sun, sweating quite a bit, and most of the make-up was still there every time after a few hours of playing, still covering up my pigmented spots quite well by the end. (It may not hold up as well after a long swim, but it held up well w/ quite a bit of sweating.)

It was harder to find a good color match w/ the cover-up than w/ the pressed powder: there were only 4 colors for the cover-up, I think, whereas the pressed (and loose) powder have a rather large color selection (w/ warm, neutral, and cool tones, yellow and pink undertones, in many hues), so it was quite easy to find a good match w/ the powder.

I should say, there are a number of mineral cosmetic lines (mineral make-up or mmu) out there, so if cost is the issue, JI is not one of the cheaper ones. However, it is one of the few that has retail distribution, making it easier to go in person and try out colors, whereas many of the less expensive mmu's can only purchased online, making color selection difficult. Some send samples though for a nominal price. I think one example of a reasonably priced one that only ships in the U.S. (if I'm not mistaken; at least not to Canada (where I live), when I looked some months back) is www.aromaleigh.com . Their color selection is good also, but I've never used this product.

As for the bronzer, again, I think you could save a lot of money by not getting JI, as it costs the same as the foundation powders (here in Canada in the Cdn $50 to $60 range per 10 g / 0.35 oz). Check the ingredients for comedogenicity, if you're buying a non-mmu bronzer (try a list such as http://www.zerozits.com/Articles/article6.htm for ingredient comedogenicity rating: 2nd column are the ingredients in alphabetical order).

Cheers, Roxy.

Edited by roxtar

bump for blondegirl.

I'm not sure you saw this reply, based on the pm's I got, so I'm bumping it for you, hun.

:D Roxy.