Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hi, my name is Adam.

My skin condition - I have mild acne, scarring, a large keloid(sp?) scar in the middle of my chest, and I also have acne dysmorphia.

In comparison to most other people my acne is very mild. I am 20 years old and have had acne since I was about 13. Only within the last 2 years have I learned how to treat my facial acne properly. I hardly ever breakout on my face but on my body is where the problem is. In all honesty the condition of my body acne is no worse than that of my face, but my dysmorphia makes it far worse. I've spent hours analyzing every pore on my arms and shoulders and continually picking at my body.

I love to swim but I can't remember the last time that I did. The mere thought of even taking my shirt off in public makes me cringe. Walking around on campus, I catch women staring at me sometimes. I've even been told that I'm handsome by a complete stranger before, but the idea of walking up to a pretty girl and talking to her is too much for me. Because in the back of my mind I think to myself, "Even if we were both perfect for each other, if she knew what I looked like with my shirt off she would be disgusted at my body." So I keep walking not having said a word and never knowing if something wonderful could have become of it.

On the outside I'm emotionally stable and for all intensive purposes "normal", but on the inside I'm a train wreck. The stress of my class work combined with a general lack of personal fullfillment has left me feeling rather hollow even though I mask it well.

My acne is my secret reason for not getting any of the things that I want in life. This is truly a difficult challenge but like all before it will be overcome. This is a declaration to myself that I can change and I'm committed to bettering the quality of my life.

This is a declaration to myself that I can change and I'm committed to bettering the quality of my life.

glad to hear it (or read it rather).

best of luck mate!

you into weightlifting at all? maybe you could get into that, bulk up (or put on some definition) and know that once you took of your shirt that all the lasses would be staring at your rock hard abs and mountainous biceps!!!

as for the inner soul / purpose... i don't know. many people (with or without acne) struggle with that. i've personally found for myself, the thing that works best for me is turn outwards. focus less on me and turn my focus to how can i help others, make them feel better, etc. focus less on selfishness and more on selflessness. that's honestly what gives me purpose in life (having no belief in god or an afterlife). nothing puts a smile on my face more than knowing that i've put an equal or greater smile on someone elses... :)

once again... best of luck. life is way to fookin short in my opinion. why.. you could wake up dead tomorrow!

Guest james11

Under all that pirate you're a pretty wise man. :D

glad to hear it (or read it rather).

best of luck mate!

you into weightlifting at all? maybe you could get into that, bulk up (or put on some definition) and know that once you took of your shirt that all the lasses would be staring at your rock hard abs and mountainous biceps!!!

I actually just got into lifting in the last couple of months. My arms have gotten an inch and an half bigger since I started. :dance: (That's about 3 1/2 cm for those of you who are metric) Thanks for the support. :)

Hi, my name is Adam.

Snap, totaly a rad name to have, so hi bro :cool::D

My skin condition - I have mild acne, scarring, a large keloid(sp?) scar in the middle of my chest, and I also have acne dysmorphia.

In comparison to most other people my acne is very mild. I am 20 years old and have had acne since I was about 13. Only within the last 2 years have I learned how to treat my facial acne properly. I hardly ever breakout on my face but on my body is where the problem is. In all honesty the condition of my body acne is no worse than that of my face, but my dysmorphia makes it far worse. I've spent hours analyzing every pore on my arms and shoulders and continually picking at my body.

Dont pick, you dont want more scars, try and stop urself..

I love to swim but I can't remember the last time that I did. The mere thought of even taking my shirt off in public makes me cringe. Walking around on campus, I catch women staring at me sometimes. I've even been told that I'm handsome by a complete stranger before, but the idea of walking up to a pretty girl and talking to her is too much for me. Because in the back of my mind I think to myself, "Even if we were both perfect for each other, if she knew what I looked like with my shirt off she would be disgusted at my body." So I keep walking not having said a word and never knowing if something wonderful could have become of it.

Well i hope u find somthin on this site that helps with ur bacne, i think thats gonna be the only thing thats gonna make u feel better with the ladys.

On the outside I'm emotionally stable and for all intensive purposes "normal", but on the inside I'm a train wreck. The stress of my class work combined with a general lack of personal fullfillment has left me feeling rather hollow even though I mask it well.

My acne is my secret reason for not getting any of the things that I want in life. This is truly a difficult challenge but like all before it will be overcome. This is a declaration to myself that I can change and I'm committed to bettering the quality of my life.

Good last line there, just keep trying stuff to get rid of ur acne so that ur problems go :), what have you tryed so far? take along look around the boards theres alot of people wanting to help about try and find somthin that will work for you.

Good look

Adam

Edited by o_Adam_o

Lol...Im sorry, but I must state this even if for comical reasons alone....

Alot of men on this site, from my reading about these forums, seem to suggest "working-out" or "buffing-up" to make themselves feel better for those with acne...

Ironically enough...Im about 5'11...a scant 135 pounds...with long/poofy brown hair and glasses. The total oppositve of your "buff-guy" imagine...the only thing I got is flexibility. But anyway, getting to the point, I was told by a "girl friend" (a girl who is my friend...get it? :confused: ) that being slender like I am isn't necessarily a bad thing....possibly a good thing...

So, maybe some girls like the frail-geek type?? Lol.. :D Well, regardless...just my 2 cents on the whole "buff-guy" image...I dont think its quite as universal as it is made out to be...True, being toned isn't a bad thing really...but maybe its not as strongly desired by women as we all think...?? Hmm, just a thought. :think:

Note---I must say though...strongly...that I am NOT bragging and dont intend to be. I consider myself, to put it bluntly, ugly..and the above statement is about one of few positive comments I've recieved from a girl...so yeah, im definately not showing-off...lol. I should take a pic of myself and you'll see what I mean... lol. :) *ahem*

~Shane~

You know...on that note...I actually wouldn't really prefer myself having a lot of muscle...

Maybe a bit more toning....I am -quite- frail :D ....but not that much more. I've never been into the "big muscles" thingy....Just good to hear that all girls aren't either.. :wub:

and no.... im NOT gay. :lol2:

Lol...No, Im not starving....I dont have "bones sticking out..." So yeah...Im not that extreme...

But I believe I am thinner than the girl I mentioned above....hmm..She didnt seem to care though..*shrug*

Its all opinoins anyway. :lol2:

Quick, good luck overcoming your emotional issues I think making a declaration is a big step.

Do you happen to have any pictures?

I think it's good to have some toning, and not necessarily muscle but some meat on your body. Some girls adore that starving look but I wouldn't want to be with a guy who was considerably thinner then myself, and it's quite uncomfortable making out etc with someone who has bones that poke out. Eugh.

Sorry but I don't have any. As far as working out I don't go overkill on it. I go to the gym and lift weights three times a week. For my body type and size I'm a pretty slender guy. I'm about 6 feet even (183 cm) and I weigh 165 lbs. I don't plan on getting huge muscles I just want to stay in shape and look my best.