Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
AcneRuiningMyLife

Women Taking Accutane, Please Read!!!!

Damn those women who weren't responsible and didn't follow the damn directions the Doc gave them and got preggers. Now millions of Acne sufferers may have have their best weapon taken away!

Agreed! How damn hard is it NOT to get pregnant!?

Thank you!

on that note- It is my plea that all women users of these board who decide to take Accutane act responsibly! Please use birth control. In December, the heavy monitoring of women taking Tane will start. Because some women in the past have been irresponsible, women will have to sign up for this program and be monitored in order to have access to Tane, giving up their rights to remain anonymous while treating their acne. I think we should start a pledge on this board. I don't want Tane to get yanked by the FDA. I can't imagine all the years I would have suffered with no reprieve had it not been for Accutane, I don't want others who are young to have no other recourse for severe acne to lose this option. If you are a woman and on Accutane, for the love of God, please take two forms of BC. IF you can't do it for your unborn child, do it for all of the people who are suffering on this board. Big Brother is now watching and waiting to yank Accutane like Vioxx!!! Birth Control, ladies!!!! It's not that hard!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I think I will copy this and post it on another thread, it's just that important!

As if our doctors harping on this subject wasn't enough, the little no pregnant ladies pictures all over the packaging, the pictures of conehead babies all over it, the five separate forms i had to sign promising to use birth control, the fact that pharmacists now get to check my labwork to make sure i tested negative, and you want me to pledge to this board too? Please.

I read a study recently that examined the data on accutane-exposed pregnancies, and found that most of them were in women who were not under a doctor's supervision, who did not obtain the medication legally or were using up old prescriptions. All the new rules in the world aren't going to help prevent pregnancies in people who don't follow the rules to start with. This is just an excuse to yank the med, because there is no way they are going to reach zero pregnancies and they've already said that's the only acceptable number.

Wow.. It's such a big controversy in the US!

In Europe we seem to be more concerned about the psychological effects...(ie depression). Haven't really heard about anyone getting pregnant on it.. It shouldn't really be that hard to avoid getting pregnant.. lol... i read some of the information you have to read over there, something in the line of : i cannot get pregnant if i hold my breath ... true or false... lol..

In Europe we seem to be more concerned about the psychological effects...(ie depression). Haven't really heard about anyone getting pregnant on it.. It shouldn't really be that hard to avoid getting pregnant.. lol... i read some of the information you have to read over there, something in the line of : i cannot get pregnant if i hold my breath ... true or false... lol..

Hilarious! I read my husband the one that says "I'm not sexually active if I don't move during sex." He loved that one!

As if our doctors harping on this subject wasn't enough, the little no pregnant ladies pictures all over the packaging, the pictures of conehead babies all over it, the five separate forms i had to sign promising to use birth control, the fact that pharmacists now get to check my labwork to make sure i tested negative, and you want me to pledge to this board too? Please.

I read a study recently that examined the data on accutane-exposed pregnancies, and found that most of them were in women who were not under a doctor's supervision, who did not obtain the medication legally or were using up old prescriptions. All the new rules in the world aren't going to help prevent pregnancies in people who don't follow the rules to start with. This is just an excuse to yank the med, because there is no way they are going to reach zero pregnancies and they've already said that's the only acceptable number.

Obviously people still aren't getting it because people are still for some reason getting pregnant while on Accutane. I was on another board and a pregnant girl posted about info on accutane pregnancies. She didn't take her b/c pills because they made her feel sick or something like that. Of course, she blamed her doctor for various reasons ... not stressing the birth defect issue, not pregnancy testing her ... blah,blah, blah. I'm sorry, but you have to be living on Mars to not realize there is a risk of birth defects with this drug. I agree that no amount of "rules" are going to solve the problem regardless of how people are obtaining the drug. It's about personal responsibility. Accutane and pregnancy is something some people just need to take more seriously, and I really don't know what would make them do so.

IMO, we have an education gap when it comes to birth control, esp. in some areas of the country.

I have a friend from Georgia who came out of high school believing that she did not need to use condoms (or any other contrceptive or disease barrier) if he boyfriend pulled out. Her high school also had a daycare facility inside it for the student mothers. The school board did not see the connection between their student pregnancy rate and their sex ed program. (or lack of)

I was on another board and a pregnant girl posted about info on accutane pregnancies. She didn't take her b/c pills because they made her feel sick or something like that. Of course, she blamed her doctor for various reasons ... not stressing the birth defect issue, not pregnancy testing her ... blah,blah, blah. I'm sorry, but you have to be living on Mars to not realize there is a risk of birth defects with this drug.

I'm sorry, but i really, really, really doubt that her doctor didn't pregnancy test her, nor that she wasn't informed and somehow missed all the paperwork that talks about birth defects and the no pregnancy pictures all over the pill packet and was unaware of the risks of birth defects. Don't buy it. She knew, but she didn't beleive it could possibly happen to her, and it did. Hell, my first course my doctor insisted on pregnancy tests even for his MALE patients, citing some case where a "man" who was really a female crossdresser became pregnant while on Accutane.

IMO, we have an education gap when it comes to birth control, esp. in some areas of the country.

I have a friend from Georgia who came out of high school believing that she did not need to use condoms (or any other contrceptive or disease barrier) if he boyfriend pulled out. Her high school also had a daycare facility inside it for the student mothers. The school board did not see the connection between their student pregnancy rate and their sex ed program. (or lack of)

I find that so hard to believe. I knew how babies were made when I was in school and that was a while ago. How could someone seriously not know? I mean there are certain areas (towns, cities, even countries I would imagine) where getting pregnant in high school is just the norm, but to say you got pregnant cuz you didn't know how it happened....sounds like bs to me. But ... who am I to say.

I was on another board and a pregnant girl posted about info on accutane pregnancies. She didn't take her b/c pills because they made her feel sick or something like that. Of course, she blamed her doctor for various reasons ... not stressing the birth defect issue, not pregnancy testing her ... blah,blah, blah. I'm sorry, but you have to be living on Mars to not realize there is a risk of birth defects with this drug.

I'm sorry, but i really, really, really doubt that her doctor didn't pregnancy test her, nor that she wasn't informed and somehow missed all the paperwork that talks about birth defects and the no pregnancy pictures all over the pill packet and was unaware of the risks of birth defects. Don't buy it. She knew, but she didn't beleive it could possibly happen to her, and it did. Hell, my first course my doctor insisted on pregnancy tests even for his MALE patients, citing some case where a "man" who was really a female crossdresser became pregnant while on Accutane.

I agree ... but that was her excuse anyway, and the fact was she was pregnant and on Accutane....according to her anyway. I have surprisingly heard that numerous times ... about people not pregnancy testing, but I have ALWAYS been tested numerous times through the treatment. Of course, once you're on it, that doesn't stop you from getting pregnant. You're probably right ... she just assumed it wouldn't happen to her, and then it did. According to her she lost the baby, but she still got added to the stats of accutane pregnancies I'm sure.

According to her she lost the baby, but she still got added to the stats of accutane pregnancies I'm sure.

Yeh, i think many exposed pregnancies that aren't terminated result in miscarriages. It's probably better for all concerned, as horrible as that sounds.

I agree. I am starting my Accutane tonight, and last week those three words were drilled into my head over and over again "DON'T GET PREGNANT!". Of course I already knew that from the get go, but they don't hesitate to drill it into your head, and obviously for very good reasons. Not to mention the booklet given out by the derm that is predominately about that fact. I was also given a blood serum preg. test, as well as a urine test.

I got my pills today and the no pregnancy symbol is stamped on the back of every pill slot in the package...i mean c'mon, how could you NOT know??

If you get pregnant on Accutane (with the RARE exception that both methods of BC fail..not likely), it's irresponsibility, selfishness, and stupidity, plain and simple.