Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
~TEPL0~

Advice from an experienced regimen user

I'll try to make this brief and informative.

I've had severe cystic acne for 6 years, and I was supposed to go on Accutane. I didn't want to, so I did all I could to find another solution. I found Dan's regimen, and now my skin is 99% clear. I've been using the regimen for about 2 years now, and I'd like to share some tips.

Washing your face

When you're done washing your face, it should be "squeaky clean." Don't dry it with a towel, but wait for it to air-dry, to minimize irritation and germs. When it's dry, your skin should feel a little tight, but not uncomfortably dry.

Different water requires different soap. For hard water, I use Cetaphil Antibacterial bar. For soft water, I use a slightly "stronger" soap: Ivory. When using soap, it's important not to rub hard. Put lots of soap on your hands, but rub your face very gently. If it's not cleaning your face enough for a "squeaky" feeling, wash your face with the soap one more time, or switch to a stronger soap.

Clean and Clear Blackhead Clearing scrub: the greatest thing ever created next to Dan's BP. It's an essential part of keeping my skin healthy.

Here's how I wash:

Right now I'm in NYC, and the water in my building is very soft. Cetaphil just wasn't cleaning my face enough. I switched to Ivory.

1. wash off old BP with hands

2. wash face with Ivory (lots of soap on hands, but wash very gently)

3. wash with Clean and Clear Blackhead Clearing Scrub (rub gently)

4. wash again with Ivory (again, keep in mind that this is very soft water, so it doesn't overdry to wash twice. )

5. air dry

When I'm somewhere with hard water:

1. wash off BP with hands

2. wash face with Clean and Clear Blackhead Clearing Scrub

3. gently wash with Cetaphil Antibacterial bar

4. air dry

Applying BP

Do it the way Dan tells you. Put it on very gently. I use Neutrogena sensitive skin moisturizer. It's the best one in my opinion.

Food

I don't stay away from any foods, but a few foods clearly cause more acne for me: beer, sugar, dairy. It's different for everyone, but I eat very healthy food, and my skin is clear, so when I go to a party and eat crap all night, I get zits the following day. You can tell me all day about how food doesn't cause acne, but I know how my skin works.

I hope this helps someone. Good luck.

P.S: Sometimes I wash my face 3 times per day. If I'm at home doing nothing, I might as well do that. It's all about balance. Skin should be dry after washing, but not so dry that you can't smile.

I know acne sucks, but you can beat it. Just do what Dan says, and what I say, and everything will be well.

To recap, here are the main points:

1. Skin should be squeaky clean after washing.

2. Never rub skin hard. Whatever stuff you put on, put it on gently. I don't know why this works, but I know it's important, from experience.

more tips...

BP and mosturizer can have different consistencies depending on temperature. If you keep the BP in the fridge, it will be thicker. If you stick it under a desk lamp for a while, it will be more runny. Same goes for moisturizers. I prefer both of them to be watery, so I stick them under a lamp for a few minutes before using. They absorb better this way, and there are no white streaks on my face.

I don't think so, but I'd ask Dan about that; I think a while ago someone asked him about it, and he said there shouldn't be a problem. I don't notice any difference in effectivity.

Im sorry but washing your face just because your bored, is not a good idea.

Think about this...If you wash your face in the morning, why would you need to wash it again at noon or a little later? If your just staying home, your face does not get dirty from doing nothing. If you work out/play a sport, then i could at least understand why you would wash again. But washing your face when there is no dirt on it is not good for the skin and will only cause problems.

Dirt has nothing to do with anything. You don't wash your face because it's dirty, you wash it because it's oily, and pores get clogged. BP only works for a few hours from what I hear, so there's no reason why you can't wash your face more often, given that it's not getting irritated or over-dried.

Guest james11

Dirt has nothing to do with anything. You don't wash your face because it's dirty, you wash it because it's oily, and pores get clogged. BP only works for a few hours from what I hear, so there's no reason why you can't wash your face more often, given that it's not getting irritated or over-dried.

That's Balla's point though teplo, washing your face too regularly can cause irritation. Acne sufferers already have sensitized and somewhat inflamed skin. By stripping the skin of it's natural oils too regularly, you can can do more harm than good.

The best thing people can do sometimes is dissepate the severity of thier Acne whilst the hormonal factors level. This is obviously to avoid scarring as best they can. By exessively drying the skin regularly you will cause more damage to the skin and may even trigger new problems such as dermatitis.

"exessively drying" is the key word. If it's exessive, then don't wash your face more than 2 times per day, but if not, there's no problem.

I always wash my face in the morning and put on BP. If I know that I am going to go out at night, I wash it before going out, and put on BP, but less than in the morning. When girls touch/kiss your face, you don't want them to get BP on their tongue. When I come back home, I put on the standard "heavy" layer of BP and go to sleep.

Going to the gym - same thing. When I come back, I wash my face and put on BP.

Guest james11

"exessively drying" is the key word. If it's exessive, then don't wash your face more than 2 times per day, but if not, there's no problem.

I always wash my face in the morning and put on BP. If I know that I am going to go out at night, I wash it before going out, and put on BP, but less than in the morning. When girls touch/kiss your face, you don't want them to get BP on their tongue. When I come back home, I put on the standard "heavy" layer of BP and go to sleep.

Going to the gym - same thing. When I come back, I wash my face and put on BP.

Okay so i must have missed the part where someone asked you what you do to combat girls getting BP on thier tongue!!

Applying Bp after washing your face from the gym is rather silly. You de-hydrate your skin when you exercise and the best thing to do would be to wash it with a cloth to remove the sweat and dirt, and then apply moisturiser. Your claim of being an experienced regimen user is becoming more dubious with each post.

Guest james11

Probably not but if Teplo is experinced, then why hasn't he done some simple research so as to educate himself on why Acne occours and what is good and bad for it.

I don't want to sound harsh, but I don't have zits on my face anymore, and others on this site do. If I don't have zits anymore, I must be doing something right. If you don't want to benefit from what I know, then it makes no difference to me, my skin is still clear. If you do want to benefit, then ask a constructive question.

is post gym cleansing behavior mentioned in the regimen?

Im sorry but washing your face just because your bored, is not a good idea.

Think about this...If you wash your face in the morning, why would you need to wash it again at noon or a little later? If your just staying home, your face does not get dirty from doing nothing. If you work out/play a sport, then i could at least understand why you would wash again. But washing your face when there is no dirt on it is not good for the skin and will only cause problems.

BP can be used 1-3 times a day from what medical literature says. However more than 3 times a day is not advised.

I'd say personally it depends on how oily your skin is and the severity of the acne.

The less you can use the better for your skin and your wallet.

More tips:

Lights

I spend a lot of my day in bright rooms with flourescent lights. Work, class, shopping, etc. To make sure that my face has no white BP streaks on it under these lights (flourescent lights emphasize white and blue more than regular lights), I have a small lamp at home, with one of those spiral-looking flourescent bulbs which screw into a standard lamp. If my face looks good under that, it will look good anywhere. Those lights are very unforgiving.

In the morning, I also like to check how my face looks in daylight, but usually there are 2 lamps when I put on BP and moisturizer: regular 60W bulb, and flourescent bulb.

Clothing

You have probably already learned this the hard way, but BP bleaches shirt collars. To avoid this, carefully pick what shirt you want to wear, put it on, then put on BP, and don't change clothing until it's time to wash your face again. In the evening if you're going out, wash your face first, then change. Like I said in a prior post, put on less BP than usual if you're going to a bar/party. It's a good idea for the following reasons:

1. Blacklights make your face "glow" if you have a lot of BP on, and you never know if the party/bar will have those.

2. If a girl touches/kisses your face, you won't be thinking "shit, can she tell that I have BP on?"

3. If you go home with a girl and for whatever reason decide to take your shirt off, the collar will not get bleached. Obviously you wouldn't care at this point, but you will in the morning, if it's your favorite shirt.

thank's for sharing!

but I have one question.

I understand that you shouldn't use both bp and salicylic acid together.

but the Clean and Clear Blackhead Clearing Scrub contains salicylic acid in it,

so how it effect's on you're skin?

thank's for sharing!

but I have one question.

I understand that you shouldn't use both bp and salicylic acid together.

but the Clean and Clear Blackhead Clearing Scrub contains salicylic acid in it,

so how it effect's on you're skin?

It has never caused a problem for me; the way I think about it is, you're not really using them together, since you're washing off the salicylic acid 10 seconds after you put it on. Blackhead Clearing scrub is really mild anyway, the point of it is the "microscrubbers" which take off your dead skin cells, and open up your pores. It keeps your skin looking "fresh" and healthy. Without it, my face gets dry and flaky, so it's definitely a great product.

Another tip, only if you have really SOFT water

If your soap is not doing a good job, because your water is really soft, try this:

1. if using a "gentle" soap like Cetaphil, try using something stronger, like Ivory

2. if it's still not enough, rub the soap directly on your face (that's what I'm doing now, and it works much better than lathering up my hands first)

Remember the balance: face should be a little dry, but not so dry that you can't smile.

Guest charyan

yeah what the fuck is that all about? Hard or soft???

I read a while ago that you should try washing your face with mineral water, other than proving expensive, i dont remember my skin having a dramatic change for better or worse.

Food

I don't stay away from any foods, but a few foods clearly cause more acne for me: beer, sugar, dairy. It's different for everyone, but I eat very healthy food, and my skin is clear, so when I go to a party and eat crap all night, I get zits the following day. You can tell me all day about how food doesn't cause acne, but I know how my skin works.

Agreed! Maybe it's not scientifically proved, but junk food does cause acne :cry: As a big gastronome this makes me very sad, and sometimes I just get weak and eat some chocolate and eat greasy stuff but my skin gives angry feedback on that very soon :whistle:

im confused, whats with this hard or soft water business?

and you guys shouldnt interrogate each other on this messageboard; everybodys skin reacts differently and its up to you to decide whats good and bad for your skin

Hard water is any water containing an appreciable quantity of dissolved minerals. Soft water is treated water in which the only cation (positively charged ion) is sodium. The minerals in water give it a characteristic taste. Some natural mineral waters are highly sought for their flavor and the health benefits they may confer. Soft water, on the other hand, may taste salty and may not be suitable for drinking.

hard water requires you to use more soap or shampoo. basically, hard water inhibits soaps lathering and cleaning possibilities.

I'll try to make this brief and informative.

I've had severe cystic acne for 6 years, and I was supposed to go on Accutane. I didn't want to, so I did all I could to find another solution. I found Dan's regimen, and now my skin is 99% clear. I've been using the regimen for about 2 years now, and I'd like to share some tips.

Washing your face

When you're done washing your face, it should be "squeaky clean." Don't dry it with a towel, but wait for it to air-dry, to minimize irritation and germs. When it's dry, your skin should feel a little tight, but not uncomfortably dry.

Different water requires different soap. For hard water, I use Cetaphil Antibacterial bar. For soft water, I use a slightly "stronger" soap: Ivory. When using soap, it's important not to rub hard. Put lots of soap on your hands, but rub your face very gently. If it's not cleaning your face enough for a "squeaky" feeling, wash your face with the soap one more time, or switch to a stronger soap.

Clean and Clear Blackhead Clearing scrub: the greatest thing ever created next to Dan's BP. It's an essential part of keeping my skin healthy.

Here's how I wash:

Right now I'm in NYC, and the water in my building is very soft. Cetaphil just wasn't cleaning my face enough. I switched to Ivory.

1. wash off old BP with hands

2. wash face with Ivory (lots of soap on hands, but wash very gently)

3. wash with Clean and Clear Blackhead Clearing Scrub (rub gently)

4. wash again with Ivory (again, keep in mind that this is very soft water, so it doesn't overdry to wash twice. )

5. air dry

When I'm somewhere with hard water:

1. wash off BP with hands

2. wash face with Clean and Clear Blackhead Clearing Scrub

3. gently wash with Cetaphil Antibacterial bar

4. air dry

Applying BP

Do it the way Dan tells you. Put it on very gently. I use Neutrogena sensitive skin moisturizer. It's the best one in my opinion.

Food

I hope this helps someone. Good luck.

P.S: Sometimes I wash my face 3 times per day. If I'm at home doing nothing, I might as well do that. It's all about balance. Skin should be dry after washing, but not so dry that you can't smile.

I know acne sucks, but you can beat it. Just do what Dan says, and what I say, and everything will be well.

To recap, here are the main points:

1. Skin should be squeaky clean after washing.

2. Never rub skin hard. Whatever stuff you put on, put it on gently. I don't know why this works, but I know it's important, from experience.

After using the regimen for a good 2 years or so with mostly a deal of success, I hit a brick wall.

I suffered severe redness, dryness, blistering and still suffered a few remaining large spots.

This modification appealed. I wanted to feel my face squeak again! I must say the results are very positive.

I use the scrub very gently for about 10-20 seconds, then wash off thoroughly and use Evian soap-free wash to clenase again.

I then just dab bp on the remaining spots. This at the moment is showing much brighter, glowing, healthy looking skin.

I think I was obssessing over coating my whole face in bp.This is much more mentally healthy and less time consuming. I still beleieve in bp, but in much smaller doses, and gently rubbed in.

Thanks to the guy for suggesting the C and C scrub.I have truly sensitive skin, and this doesn't irritate at all.