Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Philosophy Acne Kit

It has a salicylic acid serum, a cleanser, a hydrogen peroxide cream, and a silicone based "protection cream." I can't find any reviews of the kit as a whole but the reviews of individual products have been fairly good. I also like the idea of their makeup optional kit, and it has nearly perfect reviews, but I think I'll wait until my skin is clear before I try it. This kit seems gentle, and BP used to work on me so I like the idea of an HP gel. The downside is the price -- $47, plus shipping if I can't find it at sephora and have to order it.

Murad Acne Complex

I've seen extreme reviews for this one, so I'm still not decided about it. Some people say it made their skin perfect and some say it completely ruined it. The site does admit to a long "purging period" and I don't want to walk around with a disgusting face while I wait for it to work. But, I want to like it because it's so affordable -- $30 for 3 products plus freebies isn't that much when you consider that most of my face products probably average to $10+ each. I've already read tons of reviews but like I said, nothing really conclusive so I appreciate all the feedback I can get.

Rodan and Fields Unblemish

I read the reviews and they were almost all positive, the products sound great, but it's soooo expensive and I can't find how long it's supposed to last on the site. It's $85 for only 3 products. If it lasts a full 2 months and works perfectly I'm willing to pay that, but I can't afford to pay that much every month or every six weeks, and I don't want to keep paying that forever if it's one of the systems where your skin erupts as soon as you stop using it (once my skin got clear I would probably try to wean myself off it, and keep products around for period time, stressful times, or when my skin was just breaking out). I don't know anyone who has used this and I want to hear details before I invest that much.

A bit of background -- I had normal young teenage acne for which I mostly used clean and clear and neutrogena products, read a bit of the Don't Go to the Cosmetics Counter Without Me book at 17 and revamped my regimen. I did something similar to the one on this site -- gentle gel cleanser (my favorite was neutrogena sensitive skin solutions for oily skin, but I haven't been able to find it lately), alcohol-free toner, and benzoyl peroxide cream at night, plus the queen helene masque every few nights. My skin stayed perfectly clear for about a year and a half -- I only had normal period zits, and was complimented all the time on my complexion. In june I moved to CA (san diego then...now I'm in college in OC, just south of LA, so I do get some smog) and my skin freaked out. For a couple of weeks I had this nasty cystic acne, which subsided, but since then my skin hasn't improved a lot. I thought I would give it some time, religiously follow my old routine, and once I got used to the water out here I would be okay. That didn't happen...my skin hasn't improved at all in the past few months. I added a morning moisturizer which helped with some of the redness and irritation (aveeno ultra-calming) but the acne was still there. I also tried an AHA moisturizer at night alternated with BP, mainly for the red and purple marks, but I just woke up with greasy skin and big pores. Obviously, the old routine isn't working for me, so I want to use a new one. That's why I want to try a kit -- I know it's not necessary to buy products all coordinated as long as you can read the ingredients list, but I would have no idea where to start with individual products because everything that's worked is failing (also it means I can afford brands ordinarily out of my price range -- for example, the philosophy on a clear day serum is $30, more than I'd ever spend on one product, but when all four products are only $17 more, I can afford it). I know everything on this site revolves around "the" regimen, but since my old one was so similar and it's so obvious that BP isn't working for me anymore, I need something new...I guess my skin chemistry is just reacting differently with the changes in water and humidity and pollution level. I've also thought about going back to proactiv, since it worked okay for me when I was younger (I wasn't crazy about the individual products, I thought the cleanser was too grainy and left a residue, so I stopped using it when I cleared up), but I prefer to try something new. Anyways if you have experience with any of these products (or especially with skin problems after a move) feedback is much appreciated.

I just finished trying philosophy. Little background, was on proactive for about a year, cleared me completely, thought I could switch to a cheaper version, acnefree, and started breaking out again. So, I switched back to proactive and for whatever reason it no longer worked. So, I have been on a quest ever since. I like philosophy a lot, especially the blemish serum, very good stuff. But, at $30 a pop, it is cheaper to buy the whole 4 part system. I like the wash just fine, did not break me out at all. The H2O2 is pretty much just hydrogen peroxide and will burn like heck any open sores you have and turn them white, just like hydrogen peroxide. The fourth step, the protection cream or whatever they call it is just their clear makeup repackaged under a different name. It is the EXACT ingrediants. The wash and serum don't last half as long as the two creams, which is a big downer. I bought 4 kits in total and I have no wash or serum left, but I have 2 jars of H2O2 and 1 protection cream left. I wish the wash and serum were cheaper to buy alone. The positives for this 4 step system is it cleared my skin completely and I had the softest skin in the world. However, I have 5 kids and the price is a little outrageous for me, so I started looking for something cheaper. I now use clear logix, it is much cheaper but hard to get, must order off of internet. It has kept me completely clear also and now I use the olay peel kit to keep my skin super soft. I have super oily skin and break out everywhere and while the kit did nothing for my oil, it did keep me clear. Just the price is too steep and clear logix keeps me clear too. So, I would recommend it, it does work, and you will love how soft it makes your skin. Also, I did not experience any purging period, so that is always a plus. I love clear logix for the fact that it is only one step (those 3 or 4 step kits really get to be too much after a while) but if I could get my hands on the philosophy blemish serum for cheaper I would definitely add that one to my regimen. It does contain alchohol, however, and it will burn if you have any open sores. All in all, I would highly recommend if you have the cash. :D I have never tried the other two you mentioned, I have heard a lot of horrible things about murad and the other one you mentioned, it is by the same makers of proactive, right? Makes you wonder why they had to go make something else if proactive was such a gem, huh? LOL I loved proactive until it quit working for me and I figure why make something else if you already have the wonder product? I would recommend philosophy and clear logix, but warning, if you go to a philosophy counter they have some really cute products and you may end up spending way too much money. Or maybe that was just me. LOL HTH Also, I am 30 years old and have had acne since age 12.

Brandi

I forgot to add, that since using clear logix, I also use a little milk of magnesia on my face at night. Don't know if that has contributed to no breakouts or not, I just like how it makes my pores seem smaller.

Brandi

Okay, okay, okay, I forgot one more thing. Philosophy did nothing for the blackheads on my nose and chin, I have them bad. That is something proavtive did get rid of and so does clear logix. I am blackhead free again, something philosophy did not offer for me. HTH

Thank you! I actually bought the philosophy stuff last night, but now I feel better about it, I was a little worried that I had just bought something that sucked. I've only used it twice but my face does feel less oily today than it usually does. I'm not sure if the cream for the last step is really necessary or if it actually does keep good stuff in and bad stuff out, but it improved the way my skin felt under my makeup -- plus I live close to LA so if anyone needs an environmental shield I do. If I ever get my skin clear (hopefully I will because it was perfectly clear before, so I don't think I have chronic acne, just some weird reaction of my skin), I want to try their makeup optional kit. It got great reviews at makeupalley.com, and there's some special club where you can get it for $30 if you sign up to receive new products once a month.

I think the other Rodan and Fields stuff is their attempt to break into the bracket of 20+ women with a high disposable income. They've got two other lines that are related to aging, and they're all ridiculously overpriced. I'm sure they're quality products, but I'm a college student so unless I decide to stop paying my power bill I can't spend $90/month on skincare.

I used Murad and... it completely messed up my skin. I started breaking out in places where I had NEVER even had acne (cheeks, jaw, by my mouth! yuck). I started using it 4 months ago and I'm still breaking out. IMO, Murad SUCKS!!!!!

The Philosophy Acne Kit got rave reviews on drugstore.com if you're interested in reading them- there's 3 pages worth from a lot of different people.

A little while back I researched hydrogen peroxide for acne and ran across a medline research article which found stabilized hyrodgen peroxide cream to be just as effective as 4% BP, but with minimal irritation.

This acne kit is so popular, drugstore.com is now sold out but will get a shipmnet in 2 weeks.

Meanwhile I ordered the hydrogen peroxide cream, which was available separately. I'm older and my skin is getting super sensitive, so I need a BP alternative - something to kill acne bacteria that is more gentle than even the 2.5% bp.

Just check out the reviews. Philosophy, in general makes superior products. They make professional products for dermatologist's use. That's how they started in the industry. It's true the acne kit is expensive, but having acne is worse.

I have tried ProActiv and although its not bad it wasnt enough for me.

I hated Murad!

As I am flat broke right now I wanted something cheap that would work for me. Plus over the years I have tried everything under the sun including the expensive stuff and just cuz it costs more dont mean it works any better than the cheap stuff!!

This week I started using Wal-Mart brand Equate Cleanser and started to Jessfoliate this week too.

Then use Equate BP to spot treat for now.

Then use Neutrogena Moisture for combo skin.

Im loving the products especially the cleanser. Loving the Jessfoliation! :clap: Works awesome and Im only using a regular soft bristled toothbrush at the moment.

The Murad Acne Complex Kit did not help me, and unfortunately, made my skin worse. I actually tried it twice, and as I didn't quite feel I used it fairly the first time, I really hoped it would be good the second time around, but it wasn't.

I tried at least one product from philosphy but it was quite a while ago. I don't remember finding it very effective or helpful.

Have you ever tried any Origins products? There was one mask I tried that was fairly good.

Best of luck. :angel:

I tried Murad and it made me worse. When using it you have to use it for at least 4 months before you're supposed to start seeing results. Some people after 4 months clear up and don't have a problem but some people just stay worse. It just depends. If you are willing to wait 4 months and have worse skin than when you started the product then try it. It may work. It may not. It's just a gamble you have to be willing to make.

I'm now using Neutrogena Oil-Free products and my skin isn't clear but it's working a whole lot better than Murad and Proactiv. My skin was dry and scaly from them and it's been rehydrated and I don't have to constantly check my face for peeling.

Edited by Dith

Murad is the DEVIL. No one should ever have to go through as much pain as I went through on Murad. It was so much worse than ProActiv.

ProActiv was actually okay when I first started using it, but it lost its effects. If you want something similar to it, try KlearAction (instead of AcneFree). It's got the same ingredients as ProActiv, but a lot cheaper. It's available at pretty much all the drugstores and large retailers like Wal-Mart.

I read the ingredients on the murad stuff...There are two retinol things to be used twice a day. Does anyone really need 4 doses of retinol per day? No wonder it takes 4 months to get used to the stuff.

I've been using the philosophy kit for a week and I like it a lot. I've gotten a couple of new pimples, but not near as many as usual (especially considering I was premenstrual) and they all dry up really fast. It's also doing great for oiliness, I think because one of the products is a serum so I don't have to apply tons of creams to my face. Before that I was using triaz gel (I got some free samples) and I think it was making me worse; I know I always woke up greasy. It's also not that expensive -- it's four products for $47, which adds up to not much higher than neutrogena brands, and I'm having better luck with this than with neutrogena. They also have a kit called makeup optional which has amazing reviews; when I get my skin clear I want to try that for brightness and to get rid of some of the scars.

I used Murad and... it completely messed up my skin. I started breaking out in places where I had NEVER even had acne (cheeks, jaw, by my mouth! yuck). I started using it 4 months ago and I'm still breaking out. IMO, Murad SUCKS!!!!!