Jump to content
Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
legislatorgov

why do men have acne more than women?

Recommended Posts

You gotta be kidding me, women always have more acne problems than men. Its called the period/hormone thing. I am assuming you are talking about adults by the way, because for teens its about the same.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You gotta be kidding me, women always have more acne problems than men. Its called the period/hormone thing. I am assuming you are talking about adults by the way, because for teens its about the same.

More men get it than women, but women tend to get it worse.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest james11

So where are people getting this info from? Do they know for sure or just guesses?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I see alot of women with skin problems than men, and thats the ones who do not wear make up, many women cover it up so its not as visible.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

"Acne is more of a problem for women than men, experts agree. An estimated 20 percent of women in their twenties through forties experience acne."

http://www.mothernature.com/Library/Bookshelf/Books/62/2.cfm

"Acne is more prevalent for adult women than men. In severe acne cases, four times as many women were affected than men."

http://www.healthyontario.com/PageFactory.aspx?PageID=224

"According to Dr. Balbul, women tend to suffer from adult acne more than men. "Men's acne tends to go away after the beard is grown; because hormone levels increase in women, it is a much more common problem." He explains that this increase is usually affected by a woman's menstrual cycle."

http://www.canoe.ca/LifewiseBeauty0412/31_acne-can.html

Link to comment
Share on other sites

yea and while were at it why do azns have more acne. just about all my friends do. think its genetic, bad eating habits, staying up late, sleep deprivation. and im azn myself so i can talk crap.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Quit simply hormones, this is why genetics maybe a factor.

With men it's higher testosterone levels.

I have very high testosterone levels, I am naturally muscular without working out.

But with women it's also hormonal, usually around their period.

Cosmetic acne is a big problem, it was more prevalent in adult women, but now due to metrosexuality it's on the rise with men.

Alot of asians have flawless skin, I think you'll find statistically it's the same as other ethnic groups, altho I could be wrong.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Cosmetic acne is a big problem, it was more prevalent in adult women, but now due to metrosexuality it's on the rise with men.

lol.. do you want to explain your reasoning behind this theory?

Also, asians in their native countries have hardly any acne. It's when they come to America or other western cultures and eat our food that they really start to get acne..

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Cosmetic acne is a big problem, it was more prevalent in adult women, but now due to metrosexuality it's on the rise with men.

lol.. do you want to explain your reasoning behind this theory?

Also, asians in their native countries have hardly any acne. It's when they come to America or other western cultures and eat our food that they really start to get acne..

Very very true. I go to asia a lot and from my experience, almost NO ONE has acne there. Even my derm who is caucasian tells me that asians(chinese/korean/japanese) usually have less problem with acne. He also said that asians have skin that are way more sensitive then other races. It's probably due to the enviornment that we all evolved in.

I'm asian myself and it's true that food does play a huge role in acne. My parents are both from asia and they NEVER had acne. None of my aunts or uncles had acne. Not even my grandparents. But me and my brother are both american born chinese and we both have acne. Mine used to be severe too. My cousins that are born here also have acne. One of them have it WAYYYY worse then me. I always get hassled by family members when we have family reunions on thanksgiving/christmas about my acne. They always tell me how they never had acne or what's wrong with my skin. It sucks! My mother would always tell me that it's because of my diet. Also when my parents were young, they would always drink some chinese herbal soup every meal. Their diet is like 80% veggies and the other 20% is mostly fish and rarely pork. I however hate drinking the soup and I hate veggies so I just eat the typical american diet. You guys might think I'm crazy, but it is something in our food! Why is it that none of my older relatives ever had acne while me and most of my cousins have moderate to severe acne? I only have one cousin that doesn't have acne because she is 2 years old.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Cosmetic acne is a big problem, it was more prevalent in adult women, but now due to metrosexuality it's on the rise with men.

lol.. do you want to explain your reasoning behind this theory?

Also, asians in their native countries have hardly any acne. It's when they come to America or other western cultures and eat our food that they really start to get acne..

Very very true. I go to asia a lot and from my experience, almost NO ONE has acne there. Even my derm who is caucasian tells me that asians(chinese/korean/japanese) usually have less problem with acne. He also said that asians have skin that are way more sensitive then other races. It's probably due to the enviornment that we all evolved in.

I'm asian myself and it's true that food does play a huge role in acne. My parents are both from asia and they NEVER had acne. None of my aunts or uncles had acne. Not even my grandparents. But me and my brother are both american born chinese and we both have acne. Mine used to be severe too. My cousins that are born here also have acne. One of them have it WAYYYY worse then me. I always get hassled by family members when we have family reunions on thanksgiving/christmas about my acne. They always tell me how they never had acne or what's wrong with my skin. It sucks! My mother would always tell me that it's because of my diet. Also when my parents were young, they would always drink some chinese herbal soup every meal. Their diet is like 80% veggies and the other 20% is mostly fish and rarely pork. I however hate drinking the soup and I hate veggies so I just eat the typical american diet. You guys might think I'm crazy, but it is something in our food! Why is it that none of my older relatives ever had acne while me and most of my cousins have moderate to severe acne? I only have one cousin that doesn't have acne because she is 2 years old.

hormones injected into meat im sure, among countless other reasons.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

yea and while were at it why do azns have more acne. just about all my friends do. think its genetic, bad eating habits, staying up late, sleep deprivation. and im azn myself so i can talk crap.

asian people tend to eat a lot of shellfish and seafood,much of which is known to cause skin problems

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hey if you're tallying you can count me in for azn acne too :(

I'm not sure what it is either, everyone in my house has nice skin but me. And the thing is I would be the last person anyone would expect to get it. I have a pretty healthy diet, use to play football for HS and now that im out I still am pretty active with working out and running. I hardly ever get sick, havent got anything, not even a cold in 2.5 years.

So why? why do I have acne?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Really - who gives a toss! We ALL have acne regardless of gender so lets not try to figure out who gets it more frequently, more severely etc!

It's not 'more' acceptable for any sex either.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Really - who gives a toss! We ALL have acne regardless of gender so lets not try to figure out who gets it more frequently, more severely etc!

It's not 'more' acceptable for any sex either.

What's wrong in trying to gain knowledge? :wall:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Really - who gives a toss! We ALL have acne regardless of gender so lets not try to figure out who gets it more frequently, more severely etc!

It's not 'more' acceptable for any sex either.

What's wrong in trying to gain knowledge? :wall:

Nothing at all my friend. But is this knowledge? What are you going to do when you find out who (if they even do) has 'more' acne???? Nothing. It's just a question that has no relevence to treatment. Are you going to treat more women because maybe they get it more frequently and invest more in R&D for female based drugs? No. It's all a no point of sale.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Also, asians in their native countries have hardly any acne. It's when they come to America or other western cultures and eat our food that they really start to get acne..

Which food exactly..? It's not all chop-sticks and rice over in the asian countries. I'd say that the industrialized asian countries have nearly as many fast food restaurants as we do in the USA and UK.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



  • Personalized Advice Quiz - All of Acne.org in just a few minutes


×