Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
oleleeloo

What to do with overdried oily skin.

Hi. I se a lot of pages on the internett saying that drying the skin can make it oilier, but very little what to do when you first get this condition of very oily skin, caused by dry skin. Just leave it alone, since the skin "natyrally" produce this oil to fix the problem, I dont actually have oily skin, my father didnt either, i have oily skin caused by overdrying it, so this should fix itself naturally right? Or perhaps a oilfree moisturizor would speed up the process? My skin was a little flaky 4 days ago, but not anymore, i think, hard to see with all the shinniness.

Hi. I se a lot of pages on the internett saying that drying the skin can make it oilier, but very little what to do when you first get this condition of very oily skin, caused by dry skin. Just leave it alone, since the skin "natyrally" produce this oil to fix the problem, I dont actually have oily skin, my father didnt either, i have oily skin caused by overdrying it, so this should fix itself naturally right? Or perhaps a oilfree moisturizor would speed up the process? My skin was a little flaky 4 days ago, but not anymore, i think, hard to see with all the shinniness.

No evidence has ever been shown to prove washing the skin and overdrying it makes the skin produce more oil. Because you are removing the dead skin and unplugging blocked pores by the peeling effect of BP, sebum is free to get to the surface faster. Exfoliation does the same. You also have less acne cos that sebum isn't trapped anymore. Thats y u c more oil.

Moisturizers do what sebum does and make a barrier to stop water in skin evaporating.

So when u put a moisturizer on skin its 1st ingredient is aqua(water) is followed by a humecant. The hydrated skin is kept hydrated by the humecant barrier.

The flakes are blended into skin by the water and kept hydrated.

The same effect can be achieved naturally by spraying water on face until enough sebum returns to surface after cleansing.

so what should I do?

Use less or no moisturizer and a more drying cleanser such as purpose.

I've been doing exactly this and my skin seems even oiler. Could it be all of that BP?

No evidence has ever been shown to prove washing the skin and overdrying it makes the skin produce more oil. Because you are removing the dead skin and unplugging blocked pores by the peeling effect of BP, sebum is free to get to the surface faster. Exfoliation does the same. You also have less acne cos that sebum isn't trapped anymore. Thats y u c more oil.

Moisturizers do what sebum does and make a barrier to stop water in skin evaporating.

So when u put a moisturizer on skin its 1st ingredient is aqua(water) is followed by a humecant. The hydrated skin is kept hydrated by the humecant barrier.

The flakes are blended into skin by the water and kept hydrated.

The same effect can be achieved naturally by spraying water on face until enough sebum returns to surface after cleansing.

If your skin is more oily than usual after using acne products or any drying agents it's best to moisturize. The extra oil production is your skin's way of telling you that its dry and it needs moisture. I learned this the hard way. My skin use to be normal, it was never oily. However, when I was on the Proactiv treatment I never moisturize and the repairing lotion was slowly gradually sucking all the moisture out of my skin. Now my skin produces more oil than ever. I'm trying to get it back to normal by not using as much BP and also moisturing more often now.