Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

So we all know how effective BP can be in eliminating acne but I'm still not sure about its long term effects. Does anyone know what some of the adverse effects of using BP in the long run? I'm talking 5, 10, 20, and even 30 years down the road of applying the stuff daily.

Also, why is it that my derm. never told me to apply the stuff all over my face when it works so well. They always told me to only apply it over existing acne. Was Dan the first one to apply BP in this way?

Thank you in advance for all insights!

Well, I'm a single case study. I've been using bp off and on since 7th or 8th grade, so that's--cough--20 years now. I've been using generous amounts of 2.5% twice a day for about 10 years. My skin in the places where I have been using bp is smoother and looks better than where I didn't. BP becomes benzoic acid when absorbed into the skin. Benzoic acid is a harmless chemical. Also, bp has been used for over 7 decades without any problems across the entire population, so you can feel really good about it. Here's a pic of my skin from a few months ago so you can see that it looks fine. My expression on the other hand could use some help.

post-1-1131122756_thumb.jpg

post-1-1131122756_thumb.jpg

Thanks for all the replies guys! but Dan, just out of curiosity were you the first person to start applying BP in this way? and how come my dermatologists never tell me to apply BP in this way?

Well, I'm a single case study. I've been using bp off and on since 7th or 8th grade, so that's--cough--20 years now. I've been using generous amounts of 2.5% twice a day for about 10 years. My skin in the places where I have been using bp is smoother and looks better than where I didn't. BP becomes benzoic acid when absorbed into the skin. Benzoic acid is a harmless chemical. Also, bp has been used for over 7 decades without any problems across the entire population, so you can feel really good about it. Here's a pic of my skin from a few months ago so you can see that it looks fine. My expression on the other hand could use some help.

That's pretty freakin' clear and in good condition!

I hope I look as good as that when I'm 40

If Dan started in 7th or 8th grade and using it for 20 years that would make him 32/33! (Assuming school starts at 5 in the US)

I'm 33! Mishmosh, you better check yourself before you wreck yourself :) psyche.

I don't know if I'm the first person to ever start applying bp in this way, but it certainly isn't in any textbooks or anywhere out there where you can learn to do it that way. It took me about 12 years of trial and error to get to the point where I figured out how to apply bp this way. When it worked when nothing else had, that's when I decided to tell everybody else about it. You can read my acne history story thing at http://www.acne.org/acne_treatment.html

Dan that is amazing... it is strange that it isn't in any text books, isn't?... but then again what I find even more amazing is that there isn't a cure yet for acne.

I do get this strange feeling that there is a cure for acne and a few people know about it, but may have been paid off or something.... all to keep some of these major companies in business.

Diseases are sneaky and highly complex. I had that same thought that it's 2005 and c'mon already, they should be able to cure acne. But my 2nd cousin who is a Yale medical researcher said it's a common misconception that common diseases are easy to cure when in fact most diseases, acne included, are baffling mysteries.

Diseases are sneaky and highly complex. I had that same thought that it's 2005 and c'mon already, they should be able to cure acne. But my 2nd cousin who is a Yale medical researcher said it's a common misconception that common diseases are easy to cure when in fact most diseases, acne included, are baffling mysteries.

There are so many different types of acne, some look like acne and aren't as well. There definitely isn't an overnight fix. I think some forms of acne may be similar to stomach ulcers. Sufferers were fobbed of with restrictive diets, not drinking coffee, lifetime use of hardly effective meds. In the end it was discovered it was a strain of very sneaky bacteria, which was only discovered in autopsies. It takes a combination of regimented antibiotics over a 6 month period to eradicate it completely. The Docs who found it got a Nobel prize! It has been rumoured that they were hounded to not publish as the ulcer meds companies stood to lose alot of business! Probably sentionalised conspiracy theory though as the antibiotic companies will still do OK!

This is a question for Dan (my apologies i've been spamming this site lately but i'm really eager for a response)

I've been on BP (benzamycin) for 10 years and its always worked well..but my skin has been getting really irritated/burned lately and may be even thinning (i'm hyperdermographic) i take diane 35 and soon to be starting spirolactone. plus right now i'm on minocycline 100mg 2x a day. I wash with spectro gel. Do you think i can retire my BP for only occasional use? i'd love to kill that portion of my regimen as its just too painful and really inconvinent as its too drying so i can only use it at night.

You might want to try Clear Skin Regimen gel if you want to keep using bp. But if you're clear using the other stuff, you're all set. If you're gonna stick with bp, try Eucerin Skin Renewal or another lactic acid or low percentage glycolic acid moisturizer. This will super-hydrate and help with the irritation.

Guest Poker-Butt

damn! seeing that pic makes me want to get on the regimen....wow...nice ass skin! love it!!

Thanks Dan! things seem to be pretty under control with the other stuff i'm using. i'm hoping to cut back on my BP use to something like every other day as i only use it at night anyways.

I supose the reason why they havent cured it yet because 75% of peopel have this false knowledge that you get acne between 14 till 18 and once you turn 18 no one gets acne any more. Pluse it doesn't kill you. :D

So peopel just thnk its a teen phase.

I supose the reason why they havent cured it yet because 75% of peopel have this false knowledge that you get acne between 14 till 18 and once you turn 18 no one gets acne any more. Pluse it doesn't kill you. biggrin.gif

So peopel just thnk its a teen phase.

Heh, funny story on that...

When I turned 18 my acne actually totally went away for 4 months :razz:

Only lasted 4 months, but it was a glorious burden free 4 months. :dance: