Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
xmikex

attn: asians, what has worked for you?

i'm half thai/taiwanese and have been suffering from acne (moderate) for about 2 years now. i've been on retin-a, duac, differin, clindamycin, benzamycin, and just about every oral anti-biotic out there... i was also on b5 for a month, but my stomach couldn't handle it and i never adjusted to it... and apparently i'm only a "borderline" canidate for accutane according to my derm. just wondering if it's an ethnic issue and if anyone could recommend a product that has worked for them. thanks.

Well I'm Chinese and I started out with the oral antibiotics and Retin-a and that worked pretty well for me until 6 months after my antibiotics cycle ended. I don't think its an asian thing, but the only advice I have for you is to follow the directions of your meds exactly. Like if your taking tetracycline always take it on an empty stomach and try not to eat for 1-2 hours afterwards. And try not to take supplements with them that may decrease their potency like calcium.

Have you tried Dan's regimen? Its been really effective for me. I've also used the tape method and that really keep my pores clean and smooth. Also try changing your pillow cases often, and not sleeping with any hair product in your hair. And of course drink lots of water.

I'm Chinese, too. I started going to the derm to treat my acne in December 2002, but I started getting acne in October 2002. I would say that I have mild acne. My first derm put me on differin and clindamycin and some sulfur tablets. I did that for three months and my acne didn't get better. So, my second derm put me on doxycycline oral antibiotics and duac gel, and that has worked wonders. I'm terrified that my oral antibiotics will stop working, but I guess I can just switch to another one if that happens.

I also change my pillow cases frequently and sleep on my back so that my face won't touch anything (it takes a while to get used to, but it makes a world of a difference). I also ice any emerging pimples pretty much every night. My face scars easily, so it's very important that I prevent as many pimples as possible from surfacing. I have long hair, so I usually wear it pulled back away from my face when I'm at home.

Obsolete1, what do you mean by a '6-month antibiotic cycle.' Does that mean it stopped working after six months or did your derm just stop you from taking it after 6 months?

I'm laotian/cambodian. I don't think its an ethnic thing either. Whats worked for me was minocin at first. It did wonders and my acne dissapeared within a month. But now it doesn't work anymore.

Right now I'm on my second course of accutane. The first time I took it, it didn't really do much. But now that my acne is a bit more mild its helping a lot.

Although the regimen didn't clear my skin up, it did keep my breakouts to a minimum. Its worth a shot.

And man.. it must suck to be considered borderline for accutane. I think had I been on accutane earlier, it would've prevented a lot of the scars I have now.

Well, my derm switched me to a topical antibiotic after taking oral antibiotics for 6 months. I had clear skin for 6 months after the switch, but the topicals just weren't working for me because they felt really greasy and sticky. But I also didn't want to overuse oral antibiotics as well. I continued with just retin-a after that, and that worked somewhat, but my best results so far have been with Dan's regimen. I only get a pimple every few weeks, and my only concern now is getting rid of the red and brown marks. I'm using the tape method, retin-a, and a glycolic toner and they are slowly fading.

Not touching your face at all definitely helps though. I noticed great results when I started changing my pillowcases a lot and washed my hair before bed.

Hey man - half Filipino, half Black - not really the same type of Asian as other who have posted (really Asian/Pacific Islander). I am on accutane now, and it has worked wonders - after three months, I am all clear and have been for a while. I must admit that before starting accutane I used the regimen for about a week and it really helped tremendously - it even faded those nasty dark spots that tend to show up on light brown skin. I used a higher percentage of BP (10%) but my skin was used to being dry due to retin-a, mino, prescription face wash, clindamycin pads. try the regimen if you haven't already...then, maybe a low dose of accutane. Good luck!

damn it. u guys type so much anyways im just gona say some stuff. If u want ur acne to clear up the only way to do it is "accutane" nothing works better then it. Only side effect is chop lips. its miracle drug!

Different derms have different criteria when it comes to prescribing accutane... my brother had horrible cystic acne and his derm refused to give him accutane. His face is badly scarred now, I feel so bad for him. I had ONE zit on my face and one derm asked me if I'd like to go on a 2nd round of accutane. These are 2 extremes.. I'm sure you'd find a derm who'd be willing to prescribe it to you. Especially if you've had acne for 2 years and have tried so many oral antibiotics! My acne turned cystic after all the antibiotics I took.

your derm says your borderline for accutane? i don't see why they would stop you from accutane unless you can't handle it. i think it's up to you to decide what about of acne is permissible before you can take accutane, not your derm. if you're okay to take accutane, take it because it seems to work wonders for so many people. you may here positives and negatives about accutane, but in reality, far more benefit from it.

HANDS DOWN: PROACTIV. the ONLY thing that's worked for me and i tried tons of stuff, perscribed and over the counter. go to www.klearaction.com its supposed to be the same stuff as proactive but half the price. oh yea, i'm chinese :)

Hey, have a friend who is Korean. She used Proactiv and it worked well for her. I found that it was too harsh for my skin, but it worth trying before thinking about accutane.

I'm half filipino, half chinese. I don't have alot of acne, but when they pop up, they tend to form into pustules very easily, which leaves some pretty nasty scars. My parents never seem to have had this kind of problem, so I don't think it's an asian thing. I've only been on Dan's regimen for about 3 days, but it's working pretty well. Instead of 2.5%, I use Clearsil's 10% because it's the only thing they have here in Japan. It dries up somewhat harshly, but the tape method takes care of it. Just try to put more faith into it.

Hey xmikex the best way to get rid of acne is accutane. Go back to your current derm and insist that you take accutane. If they still don't listen to your wishes find another one. After all they want your business. Personally I order it off the net. Oh yeah I should also meantion I took everything you describe and more before realizing the derms knew crap as far as my case was concern. My acne was never bad enough to be on accutane but after 12 years of trying a lot of things out by the derms you think I would of been close to clear.

hi all

i m a chinese (S'porean) i hav already purchased 1 mth supply of accutane - NIMEGEN < made in korea ... i m so BOTHERED and DISTURBED by my acne condition

anyone can share with me some tips of wat to do while on accutane and also anyone who knows abt NIMEGEN or have ever taken NIMEGEN (esp korean)

thanx

piggy_balls

hey, i'm a singporean too, i've been on Nimegen for around a month now, i got it from my neighbourhood GP. It seems like i've been clearing up pretty slowly, but there are definitly signs of improvment. I'm currently using Proactiv too, so i'm not sure whether it's Nimegen or Proactiv that's helping me clear up. By the way, Nimegen is supposed to be a generic form of accutane too, but i'm not sure whether it's equally effective. #-o