Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Northernsky

My Accutane log

First month of my accutane medication just passed. The results have been extremely pleasing and i so far experience only minor side-effects (lips peeling off, not much else), most of which are nothing compared to what OTC topicals tend to create.

I suffered regular breakouts, especially on my neck, below jawline. The breakout could last for several weeks, on worst days i would wake up with 10 ready-to-pop pimples on my neck and when coming home from work, another 10 would be ready to serve. Pimples were just below the surface, so scarring was not problem at all. Nevertheless red ugly marks would stay on my neck for months and usually by the time they were almost faded away, another breakout was waiting to happen. I tried several different types of OTC remedies, different acids and Retin-A without _any_ sign of relief. The only topical that was somewhat helpfull was BP, but it is not very well suited for soft skin at the neck and i dont believe it is that healthy to use for extended perioids with the "smear" method that most of us utilize.

The keratin production on my face is just insane. However, i never had problems with greasy skin. The sebum has to go somewhere, so when its not coming out, it stays in. This led me to have very rough skin, littered with small bumps that would show up especially on tilted lightsources. When i squeeze such bump, the sebum comes out from it by extremely small entrance, the flow of sebum seems like neverending white hair bursting out. After few days, the bump would already start to fill up again. To sum it up, small pores combined with big sebum production is bad!

Accutane stopped this from day one. Most of the stuff has now come out from my skin and no new ones are forming, with the exception of my forehead which shows small activity. My neck is almost totally clear and my cheeks show no activity. My forehead which, altough littered with bumps, had rarely pimples, is now oozing out the stuff like no end. My dosage will be upped from current 40mg (i weigh little under 90kg) to 60 or 80mg:s very soon, which i hope will kill it off. I dont care about hefty pricetag, if it would cost 3 times as much tomorrow, i would work 3 times harder to get the sum.

This is not the only benefit. I have been able to skip daily showers, but my skin doesent look or feel dirty at all! I might even skip multiple showers on row if i wanted (other hygiene is taken into consideration..:) ), my skin just feels refreshed all the time. Skipping harsh soap treatments seems to really help with the healing as the young skin on the ex-pimples is very vulnearable for touching when its moist. All in all, im extremely satisfied with this product so far. It delivers everything it promises and more. It relieves a lot off stress from my shoulders, when i can focus on what i am doing and not how my bumps and pimples are showing off.

I will keep on posting with relaxed timeframe. Thanks goes to this community, without it i would still be using Clerasil.. :wall:

1½ months passed, saw my dermatologist today and she upped me to 60mg/day (0,7mg/kg). She noted that my progress has been substantially fast, cant disagree with her..:)

I still got pimples coming to the surface, but they are all very small and easily popped. Almost all of the old red marks have been faded away, its hard to believe how things have changed so fast. I no longer have to worry about my face at all, its really strange feeling to watch yourself at the mirror and see yourself from it and not some ugly pimpleface.

Skin has become very fragile and it shines like plastic after i take shower. But its not dry, no moisturizing is needed.

About 2 months have passed, been eating 60mg:s for 2 weeks now.

My temples have been breaking out for weeks now and my forehead too. Nothing major, but they appear very suddenly and in numbers, in a couple of hours which is kinda annoying. Neck and cheeks have cleared up, no red marks visible anymore. I am hoping that the current breakout will stop before end of this year, as i am going snowboarding for a week. Lots of chicks and single moms there..;)

Back of my hands have some sort of rash going on, i have to lotion them few times a day to keep it down. Other than that there has been no new side-effects . Cholesterol levels are rising, but still well withing normal limits. Blood pressure has gotten couple of notches higher than it used to be.

I got a new job also, pays rather well, but good nightvision is needed. I hope Accutane has not impaired it.