Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
darkangel

weather and acne

ive had two major breakouts on my face. and the thing is, they always occur on the same time of the year, a few days into november. at first i thought all that halloween chocolate caused me to breakout but then i remembered that i didnt eat any chocolate on halloween 2001. so it couldnt be that. then it hit me... thats when our weather changes into that colder autumn weather. I live in vegas so fall hits us a bit later than usual. oh, i cant stand to have it happen again! i have to wait the whole year for my face to clear up, only to have it inevitably breakout again in november. just b4 my skin gets healthy again, the whole cycle starts over ](*,) . is any one else faced with this dilema? what do you do to prevent this? can anyone help me? id appreciate any answers. thankyou.

Hmmm...you are lucky your skin change only in Fall, mine changes literally every week! :D

Anyway, what is your 'regular' skin type and how's your 'normal' regime? Generally, my skin gets very dry and sensitive in winter, slightly dry in Spring, normal to slightly oily in Summer and starts to get dry and sensitive again in Fall. But I really have to 'read' what my skin condition is, literally everyday. I have to have normal skin because if my skin gets too dry or oily, it is very easy to get pimples. I have to keep it 'normal', and it is not easy because I have quite sensitive skin. Like a month ago, mine was very dry and I needed to put castor oil to 'normalize' my skin. A week ago, it was quite normal (not dry nor oily) but very sensitive I couldn't put even the mildest sunscreen on it 'cuz it dried out my skin. A couple days ago, no oils (I only use natural oils as moisturizer, either plant oils or emu oil) worked on my skin except emu oil. And today, even my precious emu oil doesn't work. :D I put castor oil and emu oil over it and my skin still a bit flaky until I put my 'ol Trader Joe's herbal blend moisturizing lotion. It is 'almost' a very good moisturizer, almost 100% all natural ingredients if they don't use methyl paraben (I am not too crazy about synthetic ingredient) as preservative. My skin is normal now. If it gets oily this summer, I will stay away from oil and start using plain aloe vera, honey, clay mask and lemon juice to normalize it. :D

So, bottom line, check what works best for your acne, you know better than anybody. I know if I can keep my skin 'normal' (feels soft, not dry nor oily) I can prevent break outs. Also, turmeric drink, honey, lime, zinc oxide, multivitamin and blood type diet work good for me. If I felt a pimple start forming, I would put zinc oxide/honey/lime, try my best not to eat 'forbidden food' and try my best to normalize my skin.

Try to remember, what products that help you 'normalize' your skin when it gets oily and also when it gets dry and sensitive in November. O:)

DUDE I have the same problem! Last two FALLS my face has been prone to acne. And guess what happens in the last two SUMMERS? I am completely clear! What's up with that? I dread when Fall season comes around because I want to avoid acne by any means necessary. I didn't wear any BP, moisturizer, or any other problem last two Falls, so maybe I'll do the regimen during the Fall so I can prevent acne.

I am going to do something different to avoid acne because I have to go through 3-6 months of crap and recooperation. Can anyone clarify why acne changes in the season? Does a cold face affect acne, and does the wind? Would a layer of BP and moisturizer fend off the irritation? Please help! I dont want to go through pain and suffering again.

matahari,

thank you soo much for your reply. i will definitely try to keep my skin normal this time. i hope it works. and no, i am not lucky at all. when i breakout, it takes all year to clear up...only to breakout again. :D

dawizzy,

i couldnt relate to you more! this year, i ll definitely do something different. read matahari's reply, i found it to be very helpful. thanks for your reply.

matahari,

my regime is AHA face wash. this year i broke out badly and will probably be scarred. i also have all these redmarks, so that s why i need the AHA. im also experimenting with different methods like the tape method, lemon water, adn neosporin. i know its not the best idea to experiment with too many things but im determined to find out what works.

darkangel,

I don't know if your skin gets dry in November, but did you use AHA wash in November? Did your diet change a bit? (maybe because the weather getting cold?) I mean, what did you do BEFORE you break outs?

Before you try any new treatment, do patch test first. Let say you want to know if AHA wash good for you, put a dab of AHA wash inside your upper arm and cover with band aid. Do it after you take a shower and your skin is dry and let it stay until your next shower. If during that time you feel any sign of irritation (burn, itch, etc) stop using it. If not, examine the skin covered with bandaid, is there any redness or pimple forming? If yes, stop using it. If not, then the product is considered safe for your skin. O:) I know it is a hassle to do patch test, but for me it's worth it since I have sensitive skin that reacts badly to most synthetic ingredients. (and even to some natural ingredients) O:) Normally, I only put 'food' on my skin (milk, honey, almond butter, oils, oatmeal, lemon/lime, etc) :D I don't use anything I can't eat, unless I have no other choice. :D

Have you tried honey? I mean, of course if you are not allergic to honey O:) Pure honey has antiseptic, antibacterial and antioxidant properties and very good to treat and prevent break outs. It is quite acidic (although not as strong as lemon or lime), but it acts as a gentle exfoliator, too. Scientiests are doing some research to create AHA derived from honey right now.

Try to find 100% pure (raw if possible) honey, and use it for face cleansing (daily), acne/scars/spots/marks treatment (when you need one) and facial mask (once or twice weekly or anytime you want) Honey is a must have in my kitchen because it is good for any skin type. If my skin condition change and I need to figure out what to use to 'normalize' it, I wouldn't use anything but plain honey, during the 'transition'. O:)

Try it, but do the patch test first before using honey since not every honey (nor every skin) is created equal. O:)

The official line on weather and acne is that people in humid tropical climates have more severe acne, but other than that, it's split down the middle with some people experiencing worsening acne during winter, and some during summer. But I don't think it's disputed that weather can have an effect.

-Dan

thanks for the reply dan.

matahari, you have been the biggest help! you seem to know a whole lot and i cant thank you enough =D> . about the honey face wash, do you dilute it with water? does it work on scars too? thatd be great! this last breakout has not only given me acne but redness and some shallow scarring too. well ill stop by the organic food store and pick up some all natural honey. thanks again :D

i remember in high school, i would break out a week or two before the new school year began. :-k

hocham,

its probably because you arent getting enough sleep. you need to adjust your sleep scheduel to fit the school year's schedule. a few days b4 school starts, wake up really early so youll go to bed early. thats how i adjust my sleep for the school year and say good bye to a 2am bedtime and 12pm wakeup time. also, it could be caused because you are nervous or stressed.

darkangel,

just make sure you do the patch test first, because I know some people are allergic to honey. O:) I usually just splash my face with warm water or sometimes using wet warm cloth to compress my face before put the honey on. While your face is still wet and warm, just pour 1/2 tsp of honey on your finger tips and gently massage into your skin for about 1 minute, then rinse it and air dry. If you want to use it as acne or scar/spot treatment, wait until your skin is dry and dab a bit of honey on the spots. (just a liiii'l bit, you don't want the honey keep running down your face :D ) Leave it overnight and rinse in the morning. It works usually quite fast for acne (a few days) and dark spots (1-3 weeks), but for shallow scars, as most natural remedy, you'd probably have to do it for a month or two before seeing significant result. Well, maybe faster for some people, each skin is different. O:) As facial mask, just spread the honey on the whole face after cleansing and let it stay for 20 minutes before you rinse it. O:)

Dan,

My experience is quite a contrary. Back in Jakarta, Indonesia, my skin was almost always flawless, except some pimples before I got my period. But they went away fast without leaving any marks. The weather in Indonesia is not only extremely hot, but also extremely humid. Oh, but I hardly ever ate junk food back there. Everything had to be prepared fresh. It is not very common in Indonesia to eat canned food or other processed food.

I got severe acne when I came to the US, funny huh? :D Not really, because that was the first time I was introduced to what you guys called 'junk food' :D That was 15 years ago. I went back to Indonesia and my skin was clear again. 3 yrs ago I returned to the US and a year later, I got break outs so bad that I had to put egg yolk mask for a month to heal my skin. It is quite clear now, but I have to be very careful to prevent it from breaking outs. My assumption is, in hot and humid climate, you sweat alot, you constantly detoxify yourself and (as a result) you have to constantly clean yourself (I used to take a shower twice or 3 times a day in Jakarta). The climate is relatively the same the whole year, your skin condition usually doesn't change much.

Now I have to cope with New England weather that change everyday, but mostly dry. I almost never sweat here, so I have to detox by bathing in mineral salt and warm water. O:) My skin condition changes every few days, and I have to keep changing my regime to keep it normal. O:) Good thing I mostly use kitchen skin care, so I can adjust it according to my current skin condition. Can you imagine if I bought department store products? I'd have to have them all, one set each for oily skin, dry skin, normal skin and sensitive skin. I wouldn't be able to afford it. :D Oh, and I try my best to avoid junk food, too. I believe eating healthy food has the biggest contribution to healthy skin. O:)

Me too! I don't know if it's a coincidence, but my skin has been bad the last two winters and all of the sudden during summer it clears up. I am going to keep my regimen clear so when this winter comes around I will be ready. Right now my skin is clear except for these red marks that are fading. Could it be that when it's hot your pores are open and nothing gets clogged up? You sweat more and you expel toxins this way instead on your face? Interesting.

Dan, just read your post. That's funny you say that. Where did you read this Last time I went to Costa Rica for vacation my skin was clear. I remember getting comments when I came home on how nice my skin looked. I had another friend who had the same experience in the tropics. She usually wears alot of makeup, but she told me that it was so hot that she couldn't and that her skin looked amazing. Could it had been because there is less pollution. I remember sweating constantly over there because of the humidy.

Sixofnine, exactly O:)

When it is hot and humid, you sweat a lot. Because it's hot, You also tend to drink alot (which is good that you can easily drink even 10 glasses a day) and (as a result) pee alot, too. So you expel toxins constantly both through sweat and urine. O:)

Matahari-

I had a similar experience to yours. I am from Brazil and my skin was perfect when I used to live there. When I was 17 I came to the US (in the winter-time) and my skin started going CRAZY!!! Now I think it is because it was so dry and cold outside that my skin started to overproduce oil. (I wasn't eating a lot of junk food, but I definitely drank less water after I left Brazil). It has been 10 years since I've been living here, and have to deal with pimples all the time now. Then last year I spent 12 months in the Brazilian Amazon (I'm a biologist), and my skin was fabulous. It was warm, I drank lots of water and got a healthy amount of sun. I never put anything on my face, just washed with liquid soap. Now I am back in the US and my skin has started breaking out again. Such is life!

I find that in the summer or during very humid days that there is more moisture/sweat on my face making it very difficult to apply bp and moisturizers. That does cause me to have more acne than usual.