Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dude12345

How does accutane permantly cure acne?

theres people out there who only took accutane one time and their acne was wiped out for life.....(lucky bastards!!!)

i know accutane shrinks the sebacuous glands. for those who stay clear, im assuming that it permanantly shrinks the sebacuous glands or something?

for those of us that have acne come back, is it because the sebacuous glands werent reduced enough and the oil is still being produced?

anyone know why it comes back for some and not others?

Guest james11

Because it rapes your liver. The liver secretes hormones and is responsible for expelling toxins from the body. If it is not functioning well then it can't do it's thing!

Because it rapes your liver. The liver secretes hormones and is responsible for expelling toxins from the body. If it is not functioning well then it can't do it's thing!

I am sure he is just stupid

But it changes your DNA, genetics a bit. I read about it on this forum. do a search

I think its good if my kids never get acne.

How can accutane alter your genetics? I wasn't aware the FDA approved medication that altered your very DNA. BTW, to the second poster - how come alcoholics don't have acne and people dying from liver disease often don't either? Could it be because you're an idiot and believe any garbage you read over the internet? Man I'm sick of these hypochondriacs, someone just convince them they have cancer or something so we can live in peace.

Anyway, it works by reducing the size of sebaceous glands. After treatment, depending on genetics, severity and how much you took, they go back to normal size, but never as much as they were before.

The exact mechanism is unclear, but it normalizes the sloughing of cells into the pore (which in acne sufferers is very overactive) as well as reducing the output of the sebaceous glands, and if i recall correctly, changing the consistency of the sloughed cells so they aren't as sticky.

I *think* when people say it changes your DNA what they mean is that while its in your system it alters how certain cells are allowed to function, same as with any drug. But this is not DNA, this is the cellular level but not the microcellular level. As far as i know the only thing to succesfully alter anything resembling DNA is AIDS which binds to the RNA and in doing so prevents T-Cell formation. Now back to what i was saying as to how drugs work to make it LOOK like DNA is involved... for example SSRI's block seretonin reuptake so they could be said to alter how the body functions. However nothing is permanant. If anything was well..you'd be dead becasue everything BUT your brain cells continue to divide and as they divide they grow and unless theres a drug there stopping it they're going to grow however they like. (thats personification of something inanimate by the way i'm not implying your body has a mind of its own)

My guess is that Roaccutane has a very long half life when its in the body so thats why people can go for years after its treatment without exerperiencing a recurrance of a condition (and if they're lucky by then their hormones will have altered enough through age to prevent acne from recurring the same way) This may also be why those who had higher does of accutaine seem to stay clearer longer...they increase the half life.

Interesting thoughts to ponder. let me know what you guys think about this

Accutane does alter DNA transcription, and has a relatively short half-life.

I agree with your "short half-life" statement. From what I've read, after a whole 5 month course the Tane will be expelled from the body within a week! Sorry, I can't post any cites - maybe somebody else can.

I don't know of specific studies, but here are some links about retinoic acid (of which isotretinoin is 13-cis-retinoic acid) and how such RAs regulate gene expression, scroll down to the second paragraph. This is how Accutane causes birth defects if i understand correctly.

http://lpi.oregonstate.edu/infocenter/vita...inA/printa.html

Pertinent paragraph quoted:

Retinoic acid (RA) and its isomers act as hormones to affect gene expression and thereby influence numerous physiological processes. All-trans RA and 9-cis RA are transported to the nucleus of the cell bound to cytoplasmic retinoic acid-binding proteins (CRABP). Within the nucleus, RA binds to retinoic acid receptor proteins (diagram). All-trans RA binds to retinoic acid receptors (RAR) and 9-cis RA binds to retinoid receptors (RXR). RAR and RXR form RAR/RXR heterodimers, which bind to regulatory regions of the chromosome called retinoic acid response elements (RARE). A dimer is a complex of two protein molecules. Heterodimers are complexes of two different proteins, while homodimers are complexes of two of the same protein. Binding of all-trans RA and 9-cis RA to RAR and RXR respectively allows the complex to regulate the rate of gene transcription, thereby influencing the synthesis of certain proteins used throughout the body. RXR may also form heterodimers with thyroid hormone receptors (THR) or vitamin D receptors (VDR). In this way, vitamin A, thyroid hormone, and vitamin D may interact to influence gene transcription (3). Through the stimulation and inhibition of transcription of specific genes, retinoic acid plays a major role in cellular differentiation, the specialization of cells for highly specific physiological roles. Most of the physiological effects attributed to vitamin A appear to result from its role in cellular differentiation.

OMG what is going on here? Isotetrnoin is supposed to shrink you sebacious glands, not alter your DNA or anything like that. One of the SIDE EFFECTS are damage to liver, only because if you don't TAKE CARE of your liver when you're on it, because of all of the traffic going through your liver from the drug, it can potentially damage you liver. You just have to take care of yourself.

OMG what is going on here? Isotetrnoin is supposed to shrink you sebacious glands, not alter your DNA or anything like that. One of the SIDE EFFECTS are damage to liver, only because if you don't TAKE CARE of your liver when you're on it, because of all of the traffic going through your liver from the drug, it can potentially damage you liver. You just have to take care of yourself.

Even antibiotics alter your DNA.

It doesn't alter the DNA, it stimulates or inhibits gene expression by effecting DNA transcription, which isn't really the same thing. This is something that all retinoids (Vitamin A and it's derivatives) naturally do, don't freak.

It doesn't alter the DNA, it stimulates or inhibits gene expression by effecting DNA transcription, which isn't really the same thing. This is something that all retinoids (Vitamin A and it's derivatives) naturally do, don't freak.

Jesus, can you dumb it down a bit for us all or just me. :think:

I am sure he is just stupid

But it changes your DNA, genetics a bit. I read about it on this forum. do a search

I think its good if my kids never get acne.

I am sure he is stupid

Well, a few of you have shown you have some very basic understanding of how Accutane works. But the question posed in the original post was about permanent cure.

Why is the effect permanent for some and not for others? Be specific.

P.S. -- I already know, I just want to see if you do.

Jesus, can you dumb it down a bit for us all or just me. :think:

I was under the impression that accutane does not cure acne.

What do you call it when you take medicine and the disease never comes back?

Let's not quibble, because it does happen.

Oh, that reminnds me. Haver there ever been any monozygotic twin studies on Accutane?

lmao

Find me one person who has NEVER had a pimple after taking Accutane. I think it's impossible.

I have never had a pimple! haha--I wish. Okay, so I'm lying, but I do have a co-worker who took accutane 10 years ago or more and she has total acne free skin now. A little scarring, but not a pimple in site. I've never seen one on her in the 3 years we worked together. So accutane worked for her somehow. I'll call it a cure for sure, and I'm completely jealous!

i know accutane shrinks the sebacuous glands. for those who stay clear, im assuming that it permanantly shrinks the sebacuous glands or something?"

This is part of it, but for the most part the reduction in oil production is temporary. After you stop taking the medication the functioning of the sebaceous glands usually returns to normal. The reason for the long-term effects arent entirely known but it is agreed that Accutane changes the process of DNA transcription in skin cells. In other words, the new cells that your skin creates to replace the dead ones will have a different genetic makeup. This possibly explains why it takes several months for Accutane work completely.