Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
leopolda

My excision experience

Hi, all. I'm the one who decided to have a fairly big excision 6 weeks to the day before my wedding in August. I thought since people were so kind as to share all of their experiences and advice with me, I would reciprocate. I should say up front that I had the procedure last Friday, and it's only Tuesday, so I can't really post any final results, but I'll update those as they come. For now, I'll just detail the procedure and the post-op recovery. I was very nervous, but the Dr. and Nurse were so nice, and reasurring. They numbed the area, then started in. Even though I couldn't feel any pain, I could feel pressure and even worse, I could *hear* everything that was goin on, including the cutting and snipping (YUCK!). I'd did make me feel a bit sick to my stomach. I had 2 scars that were very close together in the center of my upper forehead, so he decided to excise the area, which meant a faily big area was taken out. The excison was football shaped, so that it would close linear and with the least amount of tension. Also, because he had to take out enough skin, he undermined the skin on either side of the widest part of the excision, releasing it a bit from the underlying tissue so that it would stretch together more easily. BTW, apparently, I bleed a lot (also makes me sick to think about it--God knows how I'm ever going to have a baby!), but he said in the healing process, that should be good because I have good circulation. I believe he put internal stitches in, and I forgot to ask him whether they were permanent or absorbable. Finally, he stitched up the excision with a fine guage threat, and then put those steri-strips (tape with fibers running through it for added "tensile" support) fairly tightly crossing the wound so as to relieve some of the stretching pressure from the sutures. It bled a bit afterwords, but stopped in a few hours. He then presecribed an oral antibiotic and a painkiller. The first day, the area was quite tender, but I'm no longer taking the painkiller (made me sleep all day).On about day 2, I definitely started swelling around my forhead and down into the bridge of my nose and my eye area, which he warned me about. I slight bit of bruising too, but not bad. I went back in on Mon. for him to check. he said it looks good, and he plans to remove the stitches on Thursday, then to put more steri-strips on for about another week. Also, because it was a fairly big area that he removed and the forhead is an area prone to lots of movement, he gave me a few very small injections of botox (!) right around the area so that it would temprarily immobilize the muscles in that area so that I wouldn't inadvertantly stretch that area. I think it's a smart precaution, though I must say the idea of botox took me awhile to digest.

Anyway, from what I can tell, the incision seems to be healing well. I'm trying not to get my hopes up, but as I've said all along, almost any outcome has to be better than what I had. I am taking digital pictures (before, during, after) and maybe after I work up a bit more courage and see some decent results, I'll post them. I hope this can be of some use to people.

cheers,

-leo

Thanks so much for sharing your experience with us. Please keep us posted on your progress - I hope you see the result you want. :D

best of luck! keep us updated, as i might be having this procedure done very soon 8-[

Hey leo - please keep us informed... I am getting some excision in 5 weeks.

Leo - Thank you posting your update. Wish you the best of luck - hope to get the results you're looking for.

Look forward to more updates - pics would be great too.

Take care.

Eddy

Hello and thanks to everyone for your interest and good wishes. I will most likely have my stitches out tomorrow, but went in today intending to have them out. The Nurse said that all is healing very well (it looks that way to me as well), but because the skin is pretty taught, she didn't want to risk taking the sutures out too early and having the incision open up or stretch open. On the other hand, leaving them in too long runs the risk of your skin healing around the sutures, and then leaving tine holes/hatchmarks. So, even though tomorrow is a holiday and the office is closed, rather than take them out today or wait until Monday, she wants me to come in tomorrow. I can' t get over how great and down-to-earth these people are. So, I'll go in tomorrow and then will have to keep those strips on for another 5 or so days. I guess I am a bit worried about getting the stitches out--I wonder if it would be better to leave them in til Monday. I mean, I'd rather run the risk og getting small stitch marks than having the seam pop open...hmmm.. Any thoughts/ experiences?

--leo

leopolda - sounds like they know what they are doing. Do you have any b4 and after photos of the procedure? That would really help to educate the board. Thanks. Good luck - wish you all the best :D

Hi, all. I just had my stitches out, and the nurse said that she thought it was the perfect time. To have them out yesterday as initially planned, in her opinion, would have been too soon. To have waited until MOn. would have been too late (I may have been left with stitch marks). She said it all looks really good, and that she thinks by I will be happy with the results, esp. by August. She said that initially, the incision line and just around it (where the stitches were) will be red and a bit raised. As the scar continues to heal, however, the red with fade and the scar will flatten out (due to reduced swelling and inflamation and also the dissolving internal stitches which are absorbable and should be fully absorbed 3 or so weeks after the procedure.)

Now, I've got those strips all over the incision. She wants me to come back on Wed. so the Dr. can monitor the healing process. I'll update more then.

I'm trying not to get my hopes up too much, but I'm defintely encouraged.

Maya, I have been taking digital pictures of the whole process and plan to post them after I get a bit further in the process. I'm a bit nervous that if I post them now, and then the results are poor (which I don't expect), then that will just really depress me. I guess I would expect to start posting them in a week or so.

--leo

Leo, great to hear! You must be so excited! How big was the area taken out in millimeters?

Looking forward to see your pictures! Best of luck!!! :D

leopolda - thanks.

Good luck and can't wait to see your photos - this will be much appreciated by myself and all other board members.

Hi, guys. I am scheduled to go in on Wed. to have a follow up at which time the Dr. will peel off those steri-strips, and I should be safe to be without them (although I may try to take some home and wear them for added support for a few extra days). In any case, I've been trying to be very careful not to stretch that area at all, but because of the strips I couldn't really tell what it looked like underneath. I just peeked, and it looks good! Again, I'm trying so hard not to get my hopes up, but I think I might be really happy with the results! Seriously, if I went in tomorrow and they told me that I needed to wear those strips for the next 4.5 weeks right up til the day before the wedding, I'd do it happily. But it actually looks like I will have part of my summer to look half-way decent! Anyway, I will post the pictures on Wed. if I can figure out how to do it. If there's anyone out there who can help me upload these (I have a mac and I basically just download my pics to iphoto), I'd be grateful. Thanks!

-leo

Hello, everyone. I"m sorry to have been out of touch--my grandmother fell ill and so I'm currently out of town at my parents house and just figured out their computer. I think my grandmother should be well enough that I'll feel comfortable going back home in another few days or so. I'll try to post the pics when I get back, but in the meantime, my incision line continues to heal. It's a thin red line (quite long, about 1.5 inches) and still a bit tender, It's a little bumpy underneath at one end, where the internal dissolvable stiches were knotted, so it'll take a bit longer for that to go down, but so far I'm pleased. I've been putting emu oil on it (btw, I guess I'm pretty dumb not to have put together that emu oil is actually from an actual emu bird--I think I thought it was an acronym or something. I only discovered it when I smelled it and (sorta gross), it kinda smelled like chicken fat!!!), and then keeping it covered with a bandage to keep it most. I tried for the first time yesterday to put some makeup on it, and I was really impressed. It's still visible, but as I said, it continues to improve each day and I think in 3.5 weeks (when my wedding is) it should look pretty decent, at least hidden under make-up and wispy bangs). He did say that he might like to do some touch-ups on it after the wedding on the very few places where the line is more than a thread's width (a few millimeters, but honestly that doesn't bother me at all.) The only thing that makes me a bit nervous is the lumpiness underneath the corners. Even though you can't see it, I'm a compulsive picker and it's the lumps that trigger my habit. So those should subside as the absorbable sutures dissolve, but that might be something I bring up with him after the wedding. In any case, mostly good news. Okay, I hope that's a decent update and I'll get those pictures up when I can.

thanks

--leo

Hey Leo, Just read your update. Glad to hear that things are progressing nicely for you. As with the others, I'm anxious to see the pics. I can't recall if you posted the name of your dr. but I would very interested to know his/her name. Although I live in Canada, I would not hesitate to fly to California (I think that's where you are) if it would help correct my scar and improve my self esteem.

Eddy.

Leo - Are you still around? Would love to hear how things turned out for you. Hope all is welll

Has anyone heard from our friend Leo. Is she gone on your honymoon?

Dear fellow members (especially those that have PMed me),

I apologize for not posting the promised pictures--I do have them and will post them when I can. You may recall that I was going to be married in Auguts, which I was. Unfortunately, my grandmother fell ill and passed away just before the wedding. We were very close, and I sort of fell to pieces. Actually I still have not put them back together yet. As you can guess, it was a bittersweet day for me. As I said, I will post the pics when I can, but the quick update it that yes, my excision healed pretty well--it was large, so there will need to be a small touch up on one end, but, at least in my opinion, it was a big improvement over what I had. Unfortunately I have another scar that will also need to be excised due to a cyst that developed and keeps coming back.

sorry for the delays.

--leo

Leo,

My deepeest sympathy on your loss.

There is absolutely no need to apologize....you had much more important priorities than to provide us with an update.

Take care of yourself. When you do feel up to it we would love to see your pics.

Eddy

Leo - did you ever get round to posting these pics? I'm assuming that your results with the excision weren't that great, seeing as you have since had a dermabrasion, but I'd still love to see the photos if there was any chance of this - you could possibly PM me if you have time?

I'm very interested as I believe excision will be the best treatment for the scarring on my back, which is predominantly large crater-type boxcars. I'd be so pleased if I could be left with thin lines rather than craters.