Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hello everyone! I am new to Acne.org as a poster, but I have been reading posts for about a month now (just to see how things went here.) I just wanted to let people know how much acne.org has helped! I have been diagnosed at the dermatologist with severe cystic acne, and decided afterward to try and find a place on the net where people are going through the same things as I am.

My background with acne has been hell lately in the past couple of years. It started when I was about 16, but it wasn't bad at all then. It really started giving me problems when I was 18 and just got worse and worse until recently when I finally felt that I would really like to try and get rid of this. My first dermatologist appointment was last month. For as long as I've had acne (I'm 22 now), I thought it was just a matter of finding the right topical cleansers, masks, astringents, you name it. But eventually I figured out that it was not going to go away until I got professional help. I actually wouldn't have waited so long if I had had medical insurance; I had to wait until I had money to go to a derm, which costs about $65 a visit, not including the money for prescriptions (I was prescribed Doxycyline and Benzoyl Peroxide 5%). It's good to know that some of you are going through the same thing.

By the way, it seemed my acne got a lot worse around late August, early September during the time that Hurricane Katrina hit. Although my family and I didn't suffer major losses, we didn't have an easy time with it either, due to being without electricity and running water for some days (we did have bathtub water though!) and losing some income. Compared to the people in New Orleans, Biloxi, and other places who lost everything, this was a cakewalk I know, but the stress seemed to make my acne much worse than it had been. :boohoo:

Thanks to everyone who reads this, and sorry if I bored you all. I just thought that I needed to post because of the brutal honesty of everyone that has written about their own acne experiences and I just wanted to thank everyone for that, as I've already written, this newsgroup has helped sooo much. When I first came here I couldn't believe that other people had gone through some of the exact same things as I have; it was really amazing (and funny) about the similarities. Well, that's about it, now that I feel that I'm a real member, you'll probably see me posting around the newsgroup. Bye!

Why aren't you taking Accutane?

Hello everyone! I am new to Acne.org as a poster, but I have been reading posts for about a month now (just to see how things went here.) I just wanted to let people know how much acne.org has helped! I have been diagnosed at the dermatologist with severe cystic acne, and decided afterward to try and find a place on the net where people are going through the same things as I am.

My background with acne has been hell lately in the past couple of years. It started when I was about 16, but it wasn't bad at all then. It really started giving me problems when I was 18 and just got worse and worse until recently when I finally felt that I would really like to try and get rid of this. My first dermatologist appointment was last month. For as long as I've had acne (I'm 22 now), I thought it was just a matter of finding the right topical cleansers, masks, astringents, you name it. But eventually I figured out that it was not going to go away until I got professional help. I actually wouldn't have waited so long if I had had medical insurance; I had to wait until I had money to go to a derm, which costs about $65 a visit, not including the money for prescriptions (I was prescribed Doxycyline and Benzoyl Peroxide 5%). It's good to know that some of you are going through the same thing.

By the way, it seemed my acne got a lot worse around late August, early September during the time that Hurricane Katrina hit. Although my family and I didn't suffer major losses, we didn't have an easy time with it either, due to being without electricity and running water for some days (we did have bathtub water though!) and losing some income. Compared to the people in New Orleans, Biloxi, and other places who lost everything, this was a cakewalk I know, but the stress seemed to make my acne much worse than it had been. :boohoo:

Thanks to everyone who reads this, and sorry if I bored you all. I just thought that I needed to post because of the brutal honesty of everyone that has written about their own acne experiences and I just wanted to thank everyone for that, as I've already written, this newsgroup has helped sooo much. When I first came here I couldn't believe that other people had gone through some of the exact same things as I have; it was really amazing (and funny) about the similarities. Well, that's about it, now that I feel that I'm a real member, you'll probably see me posting around the newsgroup. Bye!

but u say uve had acne since u were 16

i think its been a while so i would recommend u start on accutane

im not ur derm tho, not even a doctor, but that's wat i wud do =)

Guest james11

If you have a bit of money then try PDT (Photo Dynamic Light Therapy) and ask if they can use ALA cream along with it. I've been getting these for a while now and they kill Acne so well. Not like the typical blue lights that are quite dosile, this leaves you pretty sore and sorry for a week or so (they'll step it up as treatments go by)! It's well worth the result though.

I have never taken Accutane, but the risks of it were a big no no for me. My Dermatologist even said that he doesn't like Accutane and that he avoids it if possible.

I have had acne since I was very young, but mine got worse at around 18 too. From the ages 21-24, my face was a battlefield, battling severe cystic acne :( Spirolonactone helped for years w/ the small pimples, but I still got 2-3 cysts every month. I did accutane and I haven't had a pimple since (knock on wood). Maybe some of these options could help you?

I have had acne since I was 12 years old and have been on everything including Accutane. I know what it feels like. Even after Accutane it all came back.

I started Dan's regimen last week and have had amazing result. Doctor's couldn't even do this for me. Accutane is not a cure. It is just a temporary solution!

I would really give the regimen a try. Alot of people have had great results!

Thanks everyone for your welcoming me. Lollipop, I have a feeling that I will go on Accutane eventually. I was reading a post the other day saying that derms use Accutane as a last resort and I believe that this is the case with me. I don't know though I've only been to the derm once and what she prescribed to me is what I'm going to continue taking until my next visit. I hear Accutane is something of a miracle to some people so hopefully it will help if I go on it.

Amy H. and James11 thank you for your advice too, that's why I love this place because it's the only place where you can talk about your acne without someone being disgusted, or bored, or someone making fun of you.

glad you found this place :D

i've been on accutane for about 4 months 2 more months to go and it has given me my life back to normal

I can actually talk to ppl and somewhat look ppl in the eye again

it's been amazing for me such a boost of self confidence esp

good luck whatever you do tho