Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Untreated cases of depression have an average lifespan of 18 months before suicide.

Believe me I know it's hard to do things with acne, and how incapacitating a bad break out can be,

but you CANNOT sit around and waste a day or two and not go to work, or not go to school, not hang out with friends, and watch a sad movie or listen to some sad music.

That is how depression starts and it feeds off itself until your left in either of two places, dead.. or without a job, friends, wife/husband/girlfriend/boyfriend, and a LIST of SERIOUS psychotic issues.

If youre thinking the mental anguish will help you become a better person when youre older, youre wrong.

BELIEVE ME, I found out the hard way.

There is only one way to cure depression, and it's very easy in concept: Do whatever you don't want to do.

You cannot start tomorrow, you can only start today.

thats so true you can lose every thing when your depress...I been depressed on and off for the last 2 years...then my family had a talk with me...thay where tired of being around me. So that night I had a big talking to myself I had to decide what was more import to me depression or my family. That was not a heard one, family is the only thing that I have in my life, so my chose was family. I've been SO much better ever since...depression is a chose (in my case anyway)

Cognitive Behavioural Therapy helped me out so much regarding this. I am depression free, but not acne free. :( I don't go to my therapist much anymore though, I just maintain my mood levels by reading CBT books like 'Mind over Mood' by Padesky & Greenberger.

Cognitive Behavioural Therapy helped me out so much regarding this. I am depression free, but not acne free. :( I don't go to my therapist much anymore though, I just maintain my mood levels by reading CBT books like 'Mind over Mood' by Padesky & Greenberger.

details?? im not really familiar with cbt.

im going to a therapist now (shouldve started a long time ago) and a psychiatrist, for how long I dont know.

Cheers to that. Having actually EXPERIENCED things that hollywood loves to glamorize; i.e - psychiatric wards, being a junkie, being homeless, etc etc, I can say - there is no glamour in that stuff.

None. Yes, Hollywood makes being crazy look almost regal, but they don't show the parts where you have no friends and no family because you've driven everyone away. Hollywood makes being a junkie seem almost fun, but they don't show the parts where you don't bathe for months at a time. And Hollywood can make even homelessless seem noble, but they don't show the sickness that hits a person a month into December with 20 degree weather and no coat.

Cheers to that, coughdrop.

What really gets me is that Hollywood paints the idea of love as something to be FEARED. We have all seen the hero or herione of the movie, cold and heart closed. We see the terribly dramatic process of someone REFUSING TO GIVE UP - MAKING THEM OPEN UP - and we are left with the conclusion that in order to find someone who will stay with us (and not give up) we have to cold hearted and untrusting. Which is, of course, a great way to drive everyone away. We treat the heart as if it's a skittery creature, peering out from rocks, and that should never be shown in the full force of the day. But the human heart is a force to be reckoned with - to see someone open with love does NOT move us to great violence, but to great calm.

Why is it so popular to be afraid of the word "love?"

Cheers.

Cheers to that. Having actually EXPERIENCED things that hollywood loves to glamorize; i.e - psychiatric wards, being a junkie, being homeless, etc etc, I can say - there is no glamour in that stuff.

None. Yes, Hollywood makes being crazy look almost regal, but they don't show the parts where you have no friends and no family because you've driven everyone away. Hollywood makes being a junkie seem almost fun, but they don't show the parts where you don't bathe for months at a time. And Hollywood can make even homelessless seem noble, but they don't show the sickness that hits a person a month into December with 20 degree weather and no coat.

Cheers to that, coughdrop.

What really gets me is that Hollywood paints the idea of love as something to be FEARED. We have all seen the hero or herione of the movie, cold and heart closed. We see the terribly dramatic process of someone REFUSING TO GIVE UP - MAKING THEM OPEN UP - and we are left with the conclusion that in order to find someone who will stay with us (and not give up) we have to cold hearted and untrusting. Which is, of course, a great way to drive everyone away. We treat the heart as if it's a skittery creature, peering out from rocks, and that should never be shown in the full force of the day. But the human heart is a force to be reckoned with - to see someone open with love does NOT move us to great violence, but to great calm.

Why is it so popular to be afraid of the word "love?"

Cheers.

AAAaaaameeen

well said elsewhere

Guest Freak_Turbulence

Untreated cases of depression have an average lifespan of 18 months before suicide.

Believe me I know it's hard to do things with acne, and how incapacitating a bad break out can be,

but you CANNOT sit around and waste a day or two and not go to work, or not go to school, not hang out with friends, and watch a sad movie or listen to some sad music.

That is how depression starts and it feeds off itself until your left in either of two places, dead.. or without a job, friends, wife/husband/girlfriend/boyfriend, and a LIST of SERIOUS psychotic issues.

If youre thinking the mental anguish will help you become a better person when youre older, youre wrong.

There is only one way to cure depression, and it's very easy in concept: Do whatever you don't want to do.

Can I have the source for this? I am sorry but you can not do a post-mortem diagnosis of a mental disorder. Especially not using the DSM Volume 4. The only other caveat is that people were diagnosed but chose to go untreated, which is highly unlikely given both how common a diagnosis of depression is, and the rate of treatment. I really would like to know the source, and more importantly the context. The worst case of all would be if the untreated cases were actually people not diagnosed with depression, and then someone just did a subjective interpolation.

And "anguish" as you call it does help you become a "better" person when you're older. I don't appreciate being told I am wrong, especially when depressive realism is a well documented phenomenon.

Oh and your "cure" is pretentious and bullshit. I can't believe you'd actually give that advice to people with depression. It's like telling a claustrophob to lock themself in a coffin. First, listening to sad music and engaging in sad activities is one of the best coping strategies for people with depression. Second, some people may not consider a day "wasted" just because depression hits. Also, what you described isn't depression since it accompanies a break out. Depression is a chronic mental disorder. What you are describing are transient moods, that everyone has. Third, for everyone's sake, stop telling them how they should cure a mental disorder. Especially if your advice is in no way grounded in research or reality. Thanks.

Nick.

Can I have the source for this? I am sorry but you can not do a post-mortem diagnosis of a mental disorder. Especially not using the DSM Volume 4. The only other caveat is that people were diagnosed but chose to go untreated, which is highly unlikely given both how common a diagnosis of depression is, and the rate of treatment. I really would like to know the source, and more importantly the context. The worst case of all would be if the untreated cases were actually people not diagnosed with depression, and then someone just did a subjective interpolation.

And "anguish" as you call it does help you become a "better" person when you're older. I don't appreciate being told I am wrong, especially when depressive realism is a well documented phenomenon.

Oh and your "cure" is pretentious and bullshit. I can't believe you'd actually give that advice to people with depression. It's like telling a claustrophob to lock themself in a coffin. First, listening to sad music and engaging in sad activities is one of the best coping strategies for people with depression. Second, some people may not consider a day "wasted" just because depression hits. Also, what you described isn't depression since it accompanies a break out. Depression is a chronic mental disorder. What you are describing are transient moods, that everyone has. Third, for everyone's sake, stop telling them how they should cure a mental disorder. Especially if your advice is in no way grounded in research or reality. Thanks.

Nick.

where the f is all of this coming from? because all my sources are reiterated verbatim from licensed psychiatric professionals. And my cure comes from what exactly hes telling me.

You so obviously just indulge yourself in your own self-reighteous bullshit. And im not talking about a tiny dose of cynicism, Im talking about diagnosable clinical depression.

And ya, sometimes you need to take medication to get the process going, but you can only make progress doing these things

Guest Freak_Turbulence

Nick.

where the f is all of this coming from? because all my sources are reiterated verbatim from licensed psychiatric professionals. And my cure comes from what exactly hes telling me.

You so obviously just indulge yourself in your own self-reighteous bullshit. And im not talking about a tiny dose of cynicism, Im talking about diagnosable clinical depression.

And ya, sometimes you need to take medication to get the process going, but you can only make progress doing these things

Psychiatric professionals told you to do what you don't want to do as a cure for depression? Despite the fact that such a treatment isn't scientific and definitely is not the treatment given by the APA or suggested in the DSM. Right...rather than insult your physicians I'm still going to believe that these are your folk theories. Self-righteous bullshit huh? The only thing that comes close to your "cure" for depression is behavioural therapy, which you want to work through with a physician along the way. If it's self-righteous to you, then compare our relative credibility levels (I'm currently working in a clinical/social psych lab). If it is bullshit to you, then stop believing in your own folk theories and get a clue. At least you know when to draw the line when it comes to pretension.

Yes it is behavioral therapy so what... Dr. John Ewing's his name, works out of Washington Depot, CT. If some how you want to contact him, go for it.

I know he meant in terms of productive things that one doesn't want to do, if that wasn't already obvious to you.

Guest Freak_Turbulence

details?? im not really familiar with cbt.

im going to a therapist now (shouldve started a long time ago) and a psychiatrist, for how long I dont know.

So, you're doing behavioural therapy but "not really familiar" with it. Ooooook...

oh my god talking to you is fucking torture! I just started behavioral therapy we havent gone through all that text book shit. All I was saying is if youre depressed dont sit your ass around forever, get up and dont moap. So shut youre pretentious canook ass up! We all know you didnt get laid in highschool, dont take it out on the rest of the world.

Guest Freak_Turbulence

oh my god talking to you is fucking torture! I just started behavioral therapy we havent gone through all that text book shit. All I was saying is if youre depressed dont sit your ass around forever, get up and dont moap. So shut youre pretentious canook ass up! We all know you didnt get laid in highschool, dont take it out on the rest of the world.

First, I thought we already agreed that you are the pretentious one. If for the only reason that you gave a "cure" for depression. So, you're still going to call me pretentious? Ok...I don't usually give references to people but in this case it really really seems necessary. So, www.dictionary.com.

Awww, a personal attack accusing my criticisms of you as being a result of not getting laid in high school, how cute. Crazy thought, but what if they are a result of your opinions being complete horse shit? Take that in for a second...of course me not getting any in high school sounds like a much better theory. People not getting laid, the answer to all the world's questions.

You both have valid points.

But depression and anxiety though they used to be seen as totaly separate entities, actually have a connection and their relatinoships are being re-examined in the DSM thingymo.

Being anxious makes you not do things which you don't like. Therefore being afraid of going outside speaking to people- the best thing to do is to really go outside and do what you fear. The process of avoiding anything you do not like only reinforces the social phobia.

In regards to coughdrops supposed statistic of suicide rates and depression, I find that highly speculative, based on little fact.

I think depression has made me a better person in the sense of being more empathetic etc, but this does no way balances with the pain I have felt.

Actually, locking a claustrophobe in a coffin might actually help cure a phobia, it is called 'flooding'.

Guest Freak_Turbulence

Locking someone in a coffin for claustrophobia or getting some to do something that run counter to how a disorder makes them feel is the same bad science that led to the Candace Newmaker tragedy. I thought the field moved beyond that? Isn't this why behavioral therapy has been kind of successful?

hi, the method of flooding is actually just as successful as its step by step counterpart (i.e show them a picture of a spider, then put a spider in the room, put the spider closer, then touch the spider).

Only that flooding is rarely used because its a lot more frightening. But there is not other way to get over a phobia other then learning to face it.

Therapies have to be ethical as well, flooding would need permission.

I am not familiar with the candice newmaker tragedy so i can't comment on that.

either way, both work on the biological fact that your fight/flight response has to diminish after a certain time, therefore if you are locked in a room with spiders, your stress would actually lower the longer yo uare there...

i fucking despise depression, ive had it on and off for a couple years. i think some people are just meant to be depresed we need something more then this cold world we live in.

its typical to say the whole world is cold, rather then say it is us ourselves that are cold inside...

Most great people in history were depressed. I think its a side of every person and once its out u notice things more and think on a different brainwave or something. Try to live the most useful life u can though. Keeping busy keeps the blues away.

God the pretentious label again, well isn't this just deja vu. :rolleyes:

Although i do agree that depression is far more complex then simply getting off your ass and not missing any school.

Here is how to not be depressed: have a good balance of outside stimuli and a good chemical composition in your head.

Guest Freak_Turbulence

God the pretentious label again, well isn't this just deja vu. :rolleyes:

Although i do agree that depression is far more complex then simply getting off your ass and not missing any school.

Well in this case it is a bit more appropriate. I'm full of myself, but even I would never claim to have a "cure" to depression. And as for the person that said something about "flooding"...A) I've never heard about that technique in my life and B) it sounds incredibly stupid as a treatment, especially in the case that you gave, where phobias are usually indirect and not direct fear.

it is the essence of the cure. You cant deal it with medication alone, or any other single step in terms of therapy. le crux de la cure