Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I started this regimen about 5 days ago, and want to record my progress, so hopefully, when my skin is clearer I dont take it for granted! For the past 5 days I've been using cetaphil liquid wash, followed by proactiv bp whilst I waited for Dan's BP to arrive. It arrived today, yay, and it really is alot better than the proactiv, has no smell and feels better when applied. I started off using Alpha-h AHA moist. which was what I have been using for the past few months, but it's started stinging unbearably after applying the BP, so have switched to blackmores oil-free moist. for at least a week or two.

After the first couple of days my skin was quite good, and I noticed my blackheads had shrunk alot.

However, I then started getting these really sore cyst like pimples on my cheeks, which I'd never had before. They've all gone now except for one. I have been getting alot of little whiteheads also, which sucks.

My skin has started to get flakey now, and its quite weird as the skin around my mouth and jaw looks like an old lady's.

The worst thing at the mo is that my skin is oily but dry at the same time, which is an awful feeling. It's all tight when i move my jaw or smile but also shiny. Im used to scrubbing my face about twice a week, which did irritate my face but at least kinda cleared my pores out, and I cant do that on the regimen. Its hard to apply foundation-which i do not live without-when my skin isnt smooth and has clogged-looking pores. But I will continue as I have been, since it's only been such a short time and maybe add in a bit of exfoliation later on.

Will post every few days and hope for the best!

P.S. I'm 16 and have had dodgy skin since about 12, and currently have mild acne, and alot of annoying blackheads on my nose, cheeks, chin and forehead. My skin is fairly oily too, but can get irritated easily.

DAY 6

Wasn't looking too good today, still had quite a few sore spots coming up-and sqeezing is proving to be bad bad bad!! (makes it even more dry and my skin flake, which i guess is good if it keeps my hands off my face..) and terrible dry areas around the bottom half of my face-not even makeup is helping, it just makes the dryness worse. How long does it usually take for the dryness to ease up?

I've also decided to change from cetaphil at night to alpha-h triple action cleanser to make sure I get all the foundation off at the end of the day.

Using the blackmores moist. doesn't sting like the AHA one did-felt like I had an army of fire-ants on my face! but the bad thing is it clumps with the BP, not sure if it's the moisturiser's fault or the texture of the BP.

Anyway, with my skin looking so awful today I just wanted to crawl into bed and hide for a couple of weeks till its better! Feeling a bit anti-social and embarrassed at school, I cant look people straight in the face!

Will keep on though, now that I've started Im not going back!

PS: Morning

Cetaphil liquid cleanser

Dan's BP

Blackmores oil-free moisturiser

Evening

Alpha-H triple action cleanser

Dan's BP

Blackmores oil-free moisturiser

DAY 9

Well I got through the first week, so it can only (hopefully) start improving a bit more now. Over the past three days my skin has just been getting drier and drier, i went swimming this arvo and once my face was dried it looked like I had a beard! A bit funny actually. It's not just around my mouth anymore, it's below my nose too and a teensy bit bewteen and above my eyebrows. It was so awful I have to confess I took a face cloth and rubbed as much as I could of the flakiness off.

Still getting a few pimples, but only in certain areas, and the rest of my face is generally fine. Because my face is so flaky, I didnt wear makeup on thursday or friday! Crazy!, for me anyway. It would only make it look worse. Which meant I used cetaphil at night cause I had no foundation to remove. I tried a sample of the cetaphil lotion and I dont like it much, it reeks a bit and made my face look greasy, although it does spread better than the blackmores.

All the sore cyst like pimples are gone, yeehaw. I'm really happy with how it's going so far, if my skin was like this all the time, even with just the few pimples im getting, Id be happy, it's just the dryness that sucks.

And I wanted to ask howcome im getting breakouts in the driest places on my face, where its the flakiest, but its looking pretty good in the non-dry areas?

DAY 11

My skin was alot oiler today than it has been for the past week, not sure why. Still not wearing makeup though, pretty proud of myself for that. Im still getting pimples here and there, mainly around my lower cheeks, near my mouth. They're really hard not to squeeze, but i know i shouldnt! It just seems like they go away quicker once they've been cleared out, but i know they do say its better to just leave them alone. I also have a few on my forehead and i have a breakout above one of my eyebrows. argh, wish they would just go! Started using my aha moisturiser again last night because all the flakiness was getting to me, and i think it really does keep it at bay more than my blackmores moist. It might be the aha moist. behind my shinier skin today. but it didnt sting like it did before, and my face doesnt go very red at all after using the BP, so this is good news, yes. Anyway, my little rub-a-thon after my swim on saturday really irritated the skin near my mouth, and now ive got a cold sore down the side of it! Confound it all! I get them really easily, so this will teach me to just leave my face be.

DAY 14

Excited to have reached the two week mark, but unfortunately there has been no major change for quite a few days, my skin seems to have peaked and is just staying in the bit flaky/few pimples stage. My skin feels really rough and I hate seeing all the flakiness after my shower, i just want to scrub it all away. Im still getting about three or so new pimples a day, and the dryness looks better throughout the day with my AHA moist, but is still pretty flaky. Sucked a bit as I went out last night and wanted to wear foundation, but putting it on made me realise how flaky my skin actually was so i feel like I cant even cover my spots anymore. BUT I've read about people who have told of completely clear skin after a couple of months, never mind a couple of weeks, so am still very hopeful!

DAY 15

woke up with 3 new pimples on my jawline, and one on each cheek!! Aaaah! Very flaky again all over, it seems to be getting worse rather than better. Am thinking about using a face scrub for the flaky skin, but dont want to irritate my face...not sure! The best thing to report is that after i've squeezed a spot (and i really need to otherwise they just get bigger and take aaages to go away) they seem to be healing quite quickly and within a couple of days aren't even noticeable.

DAY 17

Had a new pimple on my cheek and another two little ones on my chin, which had been under the skin for a few days and finally came to the surface. Skin feeling and looking pretty good today otherwise. Will only wash my face once today as I went to bed early this morning, and only just woke up a couple of hours ago! No point in doing it twice in 4 fours. Still obviously flakey on the lower half of my face, but that's alright.

DAY 18

My skin looked alright this morning, with only two new pimples that weren't big at all, but throughout the day i felt like 5 more starting up! It sucked! I've noticed that when im getting pimples now, they come up alot quicker and once I squeeze them they go away quickly too. They're there one day, gone the next basically. So cleared out the new ones I felt on my face, one above my mouth, two on my cheek and a small one on my chin. They don't go very red, they get yellow in the first day. Skin is still flakey and I still want to use a scrub or something on it 'cause it's not dry or tight anymore. I'm just a bit scared to now. My skin has been taking the BP and aha moisturiser really well. But so much flakey skin! Arg.

DAY 19

My skin was suprisingly okay today. Last night I tried my St Ives apricot scrub for oily skin, but it did zilch for the flakey skin, so I just used a cold face cloth and rubbed at all the dry patches after washing it. I didn't put any BP on, i think it wouldve been a bit much. So today I had a new pimple near my jawline, but I got into that "squeeze everything you see" mode, aargh and ended up squeezing one on my cheek that so wasnt ready and probably would've gone away. So my skin kinda peeled where I squeezed it, but its ok now. Rubbing it did take away alot of the flakyness, and today my skin has looked the best it has in days. A couple of sore ones on my forehead, which might go away on their own, the one on my jawline I sqeezed today, the cheek one and that's it!

DAY 22

PAST THE THREE WEEK MARK! Yay!Plus, my skin is looking so much better! Yesterday night I was helping to cater for a formal and I was stressed out about not having makeup on and it was straight after school, so I wouldnt have time to cover any bad zits, but I didnt need to worry! It had started the day before, I had a couple healing on my cheek which were a bit red, and I got a little whitehead under my chin. Then yesterday, I just didnt get any. I'm stoked! One problem area above my eyebrow where theres a spot, and a bit of congestion, but its one of those that Im sure will go away by itself. My jawline is a bit bumpy, but only when i feel it (which i shouldnt!) Today, still a bit annoying by the eyebrow, they (the eyebrows) are actually my worst flakey areas. The rest of the flaky places are alot better, and after ive put my moist. on you cant see any. This weekend my grandparents arrive, and I haven't seen them in two years, wee! So im hoping the travelling to pick them up wont annoy my skin, but im so excited about it looking and feeling so good!

Sounds like you're progressing nicely. But...jez, I feel like I only post when I've got some chastisement (is that a word?)...I would stick to the regimen 'til you're completely clear and have been that way for a while. That means staying far away from Apricot Scrub or any other scrub. Treat your skin as gently as possible for now.

DAY 34

I know its been ages and ages since my last post, just been busy and feeling frustrated with my skin, so didn't want to post anything. But it's looking so good, I really had to come on and share it. I have hardly any blackheads anymore, just a few tiny ones, and my face is just looking so clear! I've had two pimples on my chin, which I just left and they're healing well, and a new one on my jawline yesterday, which I'm going to leave for now too. The flakiness on my face is practically gone, but in the last two days has been feeling tight around my mouth. I've also started to get alot of flakiness under my chin and below my jawline, which I don't understand because I don't put any BP gel there.

Travelling to pick up my grandparents, my skin got really really bad, it was flakey and I had some awful pimples. I don't know what triggered that, just bad timing maybe.

And thanks Dan for your reply, I don't plan on using any scrub for now. This is the best my skin has ever looked, and I'm just so pleased with it.

DAY 43

Six week mark yesterday! My skin has been looking really good, I am enjoying not worrying about makeup and crap so so much, especially in this awful, HUMID summer heat, it can get gross. My skin has been going in cycles of getting very dry, then fairly normal, then dry etc etc. The bad part is all the flakyness, the skin is good and pretty clear, just flakey. I know Dan said not to do this, but I've been using a face exfoliator which works nicely, and has soft bristles. I use it just with my cetaphil about every three days, if I leave my skin any longer, i have horrible flakes that no moisturiser gets rid of, and it's so obvious, it looks like a beard, heh. The day after I use the face scrubber, my skin is so smooth and flake-free, but even the next day starts getting little dry bits. I am still trying to decide how long to leave between scrubs, as I know some people exfoliate every night whilst others once a week. The worst breakouts I've had this week are hardly even breakouts, just a few blackheads that get infected. The other downside is that my skin still looks red after applying my moisturiser, but doesnt burn at all, hasnt for a long while now. I really hope the flakeyness sorts itself out though over the next few weeks.

Hey, I read ur posts and although I'm in the earlier stages, it sounds a lot like what I'm goin through. My flakiness is a bit more tame now after changing my moisturizer to Complex 15.. I have this oily sheen too but very dry skin (originally just oily) and it makes my skin much more matte. Ur story sounds really good with you pretty much clear, I wish ya best of luck!!

DAY 47

Almost 7 weeks! Crazy crazy crazy, I can't believe it's been that long when I think about how I felt at first, like I would be enduring the worst stages forever. But it really does get better, I'm so happy to say, and I know how much I felt like just saying "screw this" but I'm glad I kept going, it's worth it. My skin has been awesome this week, and I read somewhere someone wrote that when their skin is clearer, they scrutinize every small red bump, which they wouldn't have noticed when they had really bad skin, and it's so true. But it's a sign that things are going really well, when there is nothing on my face to notice, I start studying small red bumps! Flakiness is still going on, but using my exfoliating brush is doing wonders for that. I waited four days this time before I used it again because the flakes were only just noticeable and my face looked kind of dull. I've been swimming more lately though, and the water and pool chemicals really make the flakes obvious. This afternoon after swimming i could actually scrap layers of dry skin off my face with my nail (gross, I know!) but it made me realize that using the brush gets rid of all that so my moisturiser can absorb better and my face looks fresher. Another thing with not having to worry about my face anymore is how much I dont care about makeup. Even with mascara, I think "Nah, I don't need it" when before I would think I needed it to make my face look better with my bad skin. Phew, this is a long one! Anyway, I must've looked in the mirror 5 times today just to smile and think "my skin looks great". This is the kind of skin I only imagined having about 2 months ago. My face hasn't been feeling dry, but it's still flakey (?) which can be very annoying when they become noticeable. Worst places now are down the side of my face infront of my ears and below that going along my jawline. Luckily those places aren't too obvious.

And thanks so much Celeste, I hope that you get really great results! The dryness does subside after a few weeks, you just need to persevere!

DAY 58

Finally!! I fully forgot my user name and couldn't log in, and I was about ONE SECOND away from giving up and re-registering when I decided to try one last name. And it was the right one, Geez, I'm such a loser sometimes. I must've tried every single name under the sun that meant anything to me.

Anyway, my skin is going really really good! I've found a little routine that is really working for me. Oh, and I've changed my moisturiser!! I use cetaphil cream now, and no more flakes!! yay, major triumph for me. My skin was getting really sensitive about 5 days ago, and going really red and itchy after my AHA moist. so I just thought sod this, I'll try something really extra rich and see what happens. I ended up with the cream instead of the lotion 'cause our chemist only sells the cream! It makes my skin look shiny though, which is a downside, but most people who've suffered from acne can deal with a bit of shine if you know what I mean! And my skin is really soft, and it hasn't broken out or anything like that which I was half expecting. It says it doesn't clog pores though, and I know it's true now. I'm thinking about buying the lotion when we go on holis next week, to see if I can get the same effect as the cream but with less shine, 'cause that would be perfecto man. I got a little red pimple on my neck this week, but I left it and it's just a smudge now. I also had a couple of little blackheads that got hard and stuff, but really small and it's just so cool not feeling like I need to cover my face anymore! Ah!, the other thing I started doing along with the cetaphil was using my exfoliating brush every night. I don't scrub hard at all just massage my face, and it doesn't seem to be irritating. So that combined with the cream has pretty much gotten rid of the evil flake! I did actually have a little bit of flakey skin along my hairline on the sides of my face, near my ears, but that's pretty much gone now.

And I realise I've gone on about this before, but I love not wearing foundation every day. Not that I'd have time with the BP routine these days, but I'd way rather be applying something that helps the problem than something that covers it.

I almost forgot, I did get two yucky infected spots that were deeper under the skin on each cheek. I squeezed one, and it's gone now and the other one just went away by itself. You cant see anything but I can still feel it under the skin. Do you think it's better to squeeze them then to get rid of them completely?

I hope everyone has a really happy christmas and God Bless you all.

DAY 76

Stoked with my skin at the moment. Over the past 2 weeks or so I had a really bad breakout when I changed my moisturiser from the cream to the lotion, I don't know what it was but I got about 5 that just came up, they've all cleared now though. After the big breakout I stopped exfoliating for a few days worried that it might be that, but my face didn't feel nice when I stopped, exfoliating keeps it so smooth and feeling good. Yesterday I had a clogged pore on my chin that went yuck and became one of those deep set spots and it's still there, that's the only pimple I have. This morning I had a small clogged pore on the side of my mouth but I squeezed it and it's barely noticeable. My main probs have been blackheads that get infected and then they just become these awful deep ones you can't get out. Otherwise my face is great! No more flakes at all!

DAY 79 (2 MONTHS 19DAYS)

Skin still looking the best it has in years. I keep waiting for it to break out again, but this regimen isn't letting me down darn it, lol. I'm really bad though in that I stare at my skin really close up and if there's a little blackhead or blemish I try and squeeze it, which makes me want to kick myself afterwards because it ends up being all red for days and sometimes becoming a real pimple. I did have a blackhead above my eyebrow that became a small pimple but I squeezed that this morning and it's pretty much gone. Yesterday I also squeezed a little one that was right under the skin beside my mouth and now it's all red and and has made a small scab. Now that my face is so much clearer I can see how i have marks on my face from all my previous breakouts. Lots of red marks which look as if they're pimples, but are scars. Im pretty sure they'll fade though.

DAY 86

Hello. I've been getting little blackheads that become pimples-you know, and I think it's because of the exfoliating. I'm going to stop for a bit and see what happens. Because this is just so annoying! Exfoliating makes my face really smooth and it FEELS nice, but if it makes me break out what's the point hey? I have three around my muth at the mo, very small, they're like the blackhead-turn-into-pimple thing I was talking about, two little ones right next to eachother and one above my mouth. Dang it! Do you think my blackheads will get worse if I stop scrubbing? They got smaller when I first started with th BP gel, so it would be cool if I didn't need to exfoliate. Oh, and you know how Dan doesn't exfoliate, doesn't the AHA do a kind of exfoliating action thing? Does it have the same effect as manual exfoliation? I was using alpha-h with aha, but that really burnt and it was only after using the cetaphil cream that my flakes went away. kbye

DAY 88

Haven't had any new breakouts since stopping the efoliation, YAY. I don't have any spots at the moment now-at all..yay again. There is a bit of redness and a mark on my chin because I squeezed a raised blackhead last night-but it wasn't a pimple so i don't care.

DAY 89

Still ZERO breakouts since I stopped exfoliating! AHA! Anyway, my face feels drier after washing it now than when it did when I exfoliated. Oh, and this sucks, I got a cold sore where I squeezed the pimple on the side of my mouth from a couple of days ago. And I thought I would get away with it. GARSH I never freakin learn. So really good, I love my skin!

DAY 98

Since my last post I've had several breakouts, if you could call them that. I had another little pimple near my mouth and then a really sore one pretty deep on my chin, but I left that one and it's completely gone now. On Monday night I used a glycolic acid mask since exfoliating hasn't been good for my skin, and it made it feel really good and no breakouts at all since then. Someone at work actually commented on how good my skin has been looking over the past couple of weeks, which gave me such a big lift. It's been around 40 degrees here the past few days at it's peak so there was no way I could've been wearing foundation when my skin was so bad, and knowing there isn't anything yucky on my face to clog my pores when I'm all sweaty is cool. When I touch my chin now it feel a bit sore as if there is something starting under the skin, but I'll just have to wait and see. Oh, and my BP gel is finished, so I've cut the bottle and am scrimping at the moment waiting for my new order to arrive, hopefully next week!!

There should be a link if you click on my name to my msn space that has a few pics with me from a few weeks ago, and clear skin!

DAY 102

This morning I woke up with a pimple on my cheek! But it's one, compared to waking up to five or six EVERY morning you know, so this just makes me smile. The day before school though, fantastic timing. Possibly due to the fact that I've run out of Dan's BP and have been using it very sparingly over the past few days, and yesterday I used the pro-activ lotion with BP in it. I used the last of Dan's BP gel last night, so I'm praying my order comes today! Please please! Otherwise I'll just have to use the proactiv until it arrives.

DAY 103

Still no BP gel! This is so frustrating!!! I was so certain it would arrive today (Tuesday) so I wasn't too stressed out about changing to the pro-activ. This is shit, every little bump on my face is making me freak out. Hopefully though it will arrive TOMORROW (please please please) so I only have to use the pro-activ two more times. But still, no pimples yet and my skin was great today.

I thought I'd have my say too about the whole new gel thing everyone seems so worked up about. I didn't even know it was changing (shows how much I actually cruise the site now that it works for me!) When I first started on the regimen my gel was in the white tube, and my second order was the blue tube , so from what I've read the new tube had more preservatives in it? Anyway, if there was a differece I didn't notice it, because my skin was going through its worst stages at that point anyway. Nowadays my skin is a bit red after I've put the BP on, but pfft, I don't really care, because it works. I'm wondering if the whole thing is a reason behind my order taking a while...but more likely I'm impatient.

I'm actually confused about what the go is with the BP, what I've gathered is that my first tube was the old version, my second was the new one with more preservatives, and now there is going to be a newer one with different preservatives?

Honestly, I'm not concerned about which version arrives,-possibly will be the middle one-as long as the regimen keeps me pimple-free most of the time, I'm happy.