Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jskate

How does BP fail?

I keep asking myself this question.

Acne (the pimple kind) is caused by bacteria right? The bacteria activates the immune system, and then it creates a red bump. Since BP gel kills the bacteria, pimples should not form right?

So.. why do the pimples still form?

Mass amounts of BP gel should constantly kill off any type of bacteria 24/7 (if kept on 24/7). So, how does the bacteria still get in!?

I understand after 2 or 3 weeks that the pimples are still forming. Since thats how long it takes. But after that, I don't get it.

well,bp does kill of the bacteria,which is one of the factors in acne,but the other major factor is dead skin cells clogging up your pores which bp doesnt help. im no expert,but i figure if your pores are clogged,then the BP can't get in and do what it's supposed to,thats why its good to make sure your skin is properly hydrated to keep skin cells from flaking off before they're due,and maybe using a moisturizer with a low ammount of salicylic acid (.5 to 1%) may also help keep things in order

well,bp does kill of the bacteria,which is one of the factors in acne,but the other major factor is dead skin cells clogging up your pores which bp doesnt help. im no expert,but i figure if your pores are clogged,then the BP can't get in and do what it's supposed to,thats why its good to make sure your skin is properly hydrated to keep skin cells from flaking off before they're due,and maybe using a moisturizer with a low ammount of salicylic acid (.5 to 1%) may also help keep things in order

Yeah, if you're not killing the bacteria, then the acne is going to continue.

But there's another factor. Even if I *am* thoroughly killing the bacteria, I find I continue to get acne for 2-3 months.

I think what's happening is the bacteria at the bottom of the pores is busy producing enzymes that attack the skin. So the skin doesn't grow so well and tends to clog the pores.

Now, as I understand it, skin forms at the bottom of the pores and works its way to the surface where it sloughs off.

It takes a good 6-10 weeks for the damaged skin at the bottom of the pores to grow out to the top of the pores; and until that's happened you'll still get blocked pores (and some of the other bacteria in the pores can presumably survive BP fairly well and so form spots).

The other factor is self-reinfection. You have P.Acnes throughout your gut and in your nose and in your mouth, so it's super-easy to accidentally reinfect your skin. Also, everyone else you know has it also, so even if you're on oral antibiotics (which would kill it everywhere with a bit of luck), as soon as you go off, you'll get it back again in a few weeks tops.

Nobody knows why acne forms so this is an impossible question to answer--at least scientifically--at this point. What I've noticed with bp is that if you combine lots of it with being super gentle with your skin you can knock out acne to a large degree. Why? Um....Uh....the standard response is that it is bp works due to bacteria killing qualities as well as a mild drying and peeling effect. That's pretty much all they ever say in acne and dermatology text books because that's really all they know. We also know that irritation can aggravate acne, so when you put the two together--lots of 2.5% bp and no iritation--it's pretty cool what can happen.