Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
zeljo4never

Does seeing someone with worse acne than you make you feel better?

Does seeing someone with worse acne than you make you feel better?

I know everytime I see someone with acne worse than my own, I cant help it but feel better...do any of you feel like this? I know that there are a lot of people in my school with acne, and a lot have much worse acne than I have and everytime I walk the halls to get to class and see someone with worse acne it makes me feel better and more confident. I dont want to sound like an ass but I'm sure most of you feel the same way.

It doesn't really make me feel better. It makes me feel thankful that mine isn't as bad, but doesn't really make me feel better for the most part. I actually feel sorry for people who have it worse than me because I can only imagine how they must feel.

It makes me feel a bit guilty. I'm relatively clear now, but when I see people now with worse acne than I ever had I feel guilty. I always felt bad about myself, and was pretty critical on myself, when really I should have been thankful it wasn't worse.

Guest tenshigirl25

i like ot be around friends that have acne problems too..u can sort of relax more around people. but ive seen guys or girls on the train with really bad cystic acne and scarring..and yeah, i do think wow, mine could be a lot worse..usually i feel guilty, because i complain so much about mine when it could be a lot worse. so it doesnt make me feel better..if anything i dont want me and the person with worse acne ot make contact..because maybe thn we will be checking each other's skin out..which would make feel worse.

Our happiness is purchased by the suffering of others.

Why does seeing someone whose acne is more severe than your own make you feel happy? Because it reminds you that you are at least more attractive than someone out there. You aren't as big a loser in the genetic lottery as that guy. In order for someone to feel "attractive" there has to be someone else feeling "unnatractive." It's a zero sum game. "Looking your best" is an act of aggression. Attractiveness doesn't exist without a context. In order for you to feel good about yourself, someone has to feel equally bad.

Someone wins, someone loses. If everyone looked the same, then physical attractiveness would cease to mean anything in the sense that we are discussing it.

We are all the enemy. Life is horrifying.

Paul

i like ot be around friends that have acne problems too..u can sort of relax more around people. but ive seen guys or girls on the train with really bad cystic acne and scarring..and yeah, i do think wow, mine could be a lot worse..usually i feel guilty, because i complain so much about mine when it could be a lot worse. so it doesnt make me feel better..if anything i dont want me and the person with worse acne ot make contact..because maybe thn we will be checking each other's skin out..which would make feel worse.

Edited by Neuvo wavo

Guest charyan

it does make you feel better, but then you see someone with better skin than you and you feel worse, so its a double edged sword really

I feel sorry for them, I had mild acne and didn't care for it much. Thankfully i'm clear now, can't help but notice skin conditions, I feel sorry for people with acne regardless of serverity.

Yes, it definitely makes me feel better. But I agree that it only makes you feel better temporarily, because you have to deal with your own personal acne, which can make you forget that people out there have it worse.

Guest pokerbugg

no, i just feel bad cuz i know that it must suck for them and at the same time i feel mor elike shit for being so obsessed about my mild acne, when they have it tougher :(

Anyone who says they don't (guiltily) feel better about their skin seeing someone worse off than them is a liar. It's the same thing with people who are fatter/dumber or anything. I mean theres no point in saying you don't fgeel better about yourself, because EVERYONE does. Weather they admit it or not, its a feeling you can't help. I do feel really bad when I see someone worse off with the skin than me.

Anyone who says they don't (guiltily) feel better about their skin seeing someone worse off than them is a liar. It's the same thing with people who are fatter/dumber or anything. I mean theres no point in saying you don't fgeel better about yourself, because EVERYONE does. Weather they admit it or not, its a feeling you can't help. I do feel really bad when I see someone worse off with the skin than me.

Fuck no I dont feel better about myself by seeing a poor person with worse skin. I feel bad for the person why the hell would seeing someone miserable make me feel better? Thats retarded.

Fuck no I dont feel better about myself by seeing a poor person with worse skin. I feel bad for the person why the hell would seeing someone miserable make me feel better? Thats retarded.

Agreed.

I only care about my own skin. And I only feel sorry for those whose acne is more severe than mine cuz I know how they feel.

Guest LDanielle

It does, but only for a moment.

I do feel sympathetic though also.

Honestly seeing somebody who is a lot uglier than me brings me no happiness at all.

But if somebody with really nice skin gets a big zit, I'll savor that a little.

hey, this is off topic, sorry, but im goin to a new high school where i wont know any of the kids, do u think theyll care and be judgmental if i have acne? i would appreciate an HONEST answer, thanks

hey, this is off topic, sorry, but im goin to a new high school where i wont know any of the kids, do u think theyll care and be judgmental if i have acne? i would appreciate an HONEST answer, thanks

depends on the kids mostly, some kids will be rude and make joke about it, some will keep in inside when ur there and make fun of u when ur not, some dont even care, u cant really tell, so dont think all negatives, some kids are pretty mature, good luck at ur new high school !!