Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
GregasGP

ACCUTANE - Average Breakout Timings & Advice

Hi all,

I'm due to start Accutane in late November (about the 25th). I have moderate persistant acne and want rid of it now! However, there may be a problem whilst on my course of Accutane.

I'm currently at university in my final year (I'm a 23 year old male) and obviously that means more work and increased pressure on getting the grades I want. Also, I have to attend lectures, seminars and group projects etc so it's not as long I can hide away when I have a breakout on Tane as doing so may mean I fail the year and ultimately my degree!

I was wondering at what time people generally have breakouts on accutane. I've heard the first one is normally about 3 weeks in?? The reason being, if I can time my breakouts with Christmas holidays etc I'll be at home with my family and won't have to suffer the embarassment as much of having a major breakout.

So, can anyone give some rough advice on timings of breakouts on accutane people? :pray:

Cheers all,

Greg ;)

I have taken pill #21 and thus far my breakouts have been mild.....not any worse than before Tane. If anything it just hasn't all been in the same place.....it used to be more on my chin and forehead....now more of it is on my cheeks......but really not anything worse than what I had, my dh and I both think my skin is already doing better........

I started breaking out about day 6. It was worst about 3 weeks in. Now I'm on day 33 and I'm still breaking out pretty steadily. I must say the breakout is pretty bad. My face is worse than ever right now. I think/hope it's almost over though.

Also, you may need to think about the possible fatigue -side effect. I'm in uni too, and I'm not able to study as long or concentrate as hard as usual.... :wall:

(And I'm not just imagining it, I'm in my last year and know my study habits by.now..)

Yeah you wont really know until you try it...im at about week 8 and my breakouts have slowed now but it was pretty bad from about week 2 through till about week 6. Should start at least by the 2nd - 3rd week.....or you may be like the fortunate few who just dont breakout from the tane

I was breaking out quite bad from the 3-4th week up untill probably the end of my second month. I have been on tane just over three months my face is looking better but my shoulders seem to be reacting a bit slower. I have persistant mild/mod acne and am 21.

I've been on accutane 40mg since 6th october, & from that day till now I haven't stopped having breakouts. This month was horrible, new pimples and spots every week. I hope this will stop soon. I read many threads that said "no pain no gain"! This is what keeps my moral up! maybe after month 2 things will change.

I think no one can predict exactly when breakouts will occur! so just strat taking accutane & keep finger crossed. Just keep in mind that not everybody is effected the same way.

good luck - we are all on the same boat

Thanks all,

It really means a lot to me you know. :clap:

Here's hoping that I'm one of the luckier ones who doesn't break out as bad, but who cares even if I do. At the end of the day, Tane seems the way forward and perhaps there is 'clear skin at the end of the underground rollercoaster ride!'

Will keep you all updated. Thanks again people, really appreciate your help and advice.

Good luck to you all.

Greg :angel:

wow mate, your in exactly the same situation i was in (god i hate acne)

hasnt uni already started though? well i was debating in september whether to go on accutane or not. i wanted to be clear, but i started uni in october. i was wondering whether the breakout would be horrific, especially since a new start at university and all. But I thought its now or never, i wish i had done it in the summer, but i took the plunge and started it early september. a month on luckily, my uni dates had changed and i had to start uni mid october (which bought me a few more weeks on tane). Ive started uni now. At the moment, ive happy because my acne has improved a little and im sure if i didnt go on it, i would not have much confidence. But trust me - it hasnt been easy. Please check my log out in the tane log section.

I still have one or two horrible spots this week, and im on month 2. Dont expect it to be easy. And your not going to be clear until around month 3, 4 i reckon. The majority or people seem to agree on these boards, you start to see a little progress, gradual lessening of brekaouts, but your also faced with temp scars which take time to go, so everything will slowly go, but its a gradual process and takes weeks. Everything takes time - even miracle drugs.

I broke out around week 2 - and it wasnt nice - a few horrid bumps would appear and the overall breakout lasted for over a month. Im on month 2 and stil getting odd spots, but the breakouts have lessened greatly. The skin texture is different, better or worse, its how u manage it and feel about it. i dont really mind it too much, but flakiness needs moisturiser sometimes. one thing i hate is putting blistex on my lips during the day! Dry lips can be a pain. But no one really notices is i suppose. i get para sometimes, ur skin also looks a little red and sensitive at times.

One thing i probably wouldnt do is start tane whilst at university and heading to lectures. The first 3 4 weeks are definetly the worst, your skin acts weird as its getting used to the tane! (see my log!) and a minor or major breakout is common. if you are a confident person, id say start it now - you might be clear by new year! If your really not very confident (like me) and debate for fuckin ages everyday whether to face a lecture room because of a stupid spot or two - then stay off it mate! at least till christmas time where your in the safety of your household!

good luck!

guy

hasnt uni already started though? well i was debating in september whether to go on accutane or not. i wanted to be clear, but i started uni in october. i was wondering whether the breakout would be horrific, especially since a new start at university and all. But I thought its now or never, i wish i had done it in the summer, but i took the plunge and started it early september. a month on luckily, my uni dates had changed and i had to start uni mid october (which bought me a few more weeks on tane). Ive started uni now. At the moment, ive happy because my acne has improved a little and im sure if i didnt go on it, i would not have much confidence. But trust me - it hasnt been easy. Please check my log out in the tane log section.

I still have one or two horrible spots this week, and im on month 2. Dont expect it to be easy. And your not going to be clear until around month 3, 4 i reckon. The majority or people seem to agree on these boards, you start to see a little progress, gradual lessening of brekaouts, but your also faced with temp scars which take time to go, so everything will slowly go, but its a gradual process and takes weeks. Everything takes time - even miracle drugs.

I broke out around week 2 - and it wasnt nice - a few horrid bumps would appear and the overall breakout lasted for over a month. Im on month 2 and stil getting odd spots, but the breakouts have lessened greatly. The skin texture is different, better or worse, its how u manage it and feel about it. i dont really mind it too much, but flakiness needs moisturiser sometimes. one thing i hate is putting blistex on my lips during the day! Dry lips can be a pain. But no one really notices is i suppose. i get para sometimes, ur skin also looks a little red and sensitive at times.

One thing i probably wouldnt do is start tane whilst at university and heading to lectures. The first 3 4 weeks are definetly the worst, your skin acts weird as its getting used to the tane! (see my log!) and a minor or major breakout is common. if you are a confident person, id say start it now - you might be clear by new year! If your really not very confident (like me) and debate for fuckin ages everyday whether to face a lecture room because of a stupid spot or two - then stay off it mate! at least till christmas time where your in the safety of your household!

good luck!

guy

Cheers guy,

I sent you a private PM mate. It seems indeed we are in the sdame boat and now I'm debating whether to start it now, or in June when I fdinish all my exams and I can hide in my house with family for a few months!!? I just love this quote mate:

"If your really not very confident (like me) and debate for fuckin ages everyday whether to face a lecture room because of a stupid spot or two - then stay off it mate!"

That really is me to a tee! I can stand in front of the mirror for bloody ages thinking 'holy shit i need to go, but do i really?' Trouble is I really want to go on holiday this year (july/aug) so would love to be clear for that. Plus i'm due to go into the Royal Air Force in september. Who knows, perhaps I'll see how BP works first of all.

Cheers all once again.

Greg

;)

good luck!

guy

Cheers guy,

I sent you a private PM mate. It seems indeed we are in the sdame boat and now I'm debating whether to start it now, or in June when I fdinish all my exams and I can hide in my house with family for a few months!!? I just love this quote mate:

"If your really not very confident (like me) and debate for fuckin ages everyday whether to face a lecture room because of a stupid spot or two - then stay off it mate!"

That really is me to a tee! I can stand in front of the mirror for bloody ages thinking 'holy shit i need to go, but do i really?' Trouble is I really want to go on holiday this year (july/aug) so would love to be clear for that. Plus i'm due to go into the Royal Air Force in september. Who knows, perhaps I'll see how BP works first of all.

Cheers all once again.

Greg

;)

I would rather take it now during the winter months. If you take it in the summer you'll have to be really sensitive and take care of your skin b/c you will BURN BAD even if you are outside for 5 minutes and your skin will like twice as bad. I would do it now and get it over with. Don't put it off. Your break out won't be that bad, just deal with it because your skin will be on it's way to better and clearer skin. My break out wasn't even bad. It wasn't as bad as my skin normally is. No big deal...I would start it now. I'm in college too but I said I'm gonna take this and get it over with! No procrastinating! Go for it!

I started 'tane the week before I went to college (it's a university, but us Americans all refer to post-high school education as college) and I was dreading a horrible initial breakout as well. Fortunately even though I did experience an initial breakout, it wasn't as nearly as bad as I imagined it was going to be. It happened about two weeks into treatment and was practically gone at the end of the first month.

I know some are suggesting you don't start it during your university experience because of the stress you'll be going through, but I found that having something to concentrate on OTHER than the possiblilty of an initial breakout helped a lot. It isn't as if I didn't notice that I did have an increase in acne (in places that I never had problems with before) but spending time doing homework and studying kept my mind off of it to the point where I couldn't obsess about it. This may have helped contribute to the fact that I didn't have a severe outbreak, since excess stress could have made it worse. I was stressed from my studies, but I think that anyone who has acne can agree with me that stressing about classes is a totally different stress than worrying about your appearance. For me, obsessing about my face was much more devestating for me than worrying about a paper that is due.

I just had my dosage upped this last week and have experienced another mini-breakout, but since I knew it would go away soon (which it is right now) I didn't let it bother me too much.

Moral of the story: Concentrate on school, not your face and know that you'll be looking better than you have in a long time within a few weeks/months!

I started 'tane the week before I went to college (it's a university, but us Americans all refer to post-high school education as college) and I was dreading a horrible initial breakout as well. Fortunately even though I did experience an initial breakout, it wasn't as nearly as bad as I imagined it was going to be. It happened about two weeks into treatment and was practically gone at the end of the first month.

I know some are suggesting you don't start it during your university experience because of the stress you'll be going through, but I found that having something to concentrate on OTHER than the possiblilty of an initial breakout helped a lot. It isn't as if I didn't notice that I did have an increase in acne (in places that I never had problems with before) but spending time doing homework and studying kept my mind off of it to the point where I couldn't obsess about it. This may have helped contribute to the fact that I didn't have a severe outbreak, since excess stress could have made it worse. I was stressed from my studies, but I think that anyone who has acne can agree with me that stressing about classes is a totally different stress than worrying about your appearance. For me, obsessing about my face was much more devestating for me than worrying about a paper that is due.

I just had my dosage upped this last week and have experienced another mini-breakout, but since I knew it would go away soon (which it is right now) I didn't let it bother me too much.

Moral of the story: Concentrate on school, not your face and know that you'll be looking better than you have in a long time within a few weeks/months!

That's very well put Cary's!

Thanks for your advice, stress about work and acne is a completely different thing like you mentioned. I'm gonna take the plunge then. Another good thing is I won't see these people at uni ever again in my life, which is nice so what have I got to be worried about really?

Accutane step forward please! Will update you when I start.

Cheers all

Greg

:whistle:

Also, I have to attend lectures, seminars and group projects etc so it's not as long I can hide away when I have a breakout on Tane as doing so may mean I fail the year and ultimately my degree!

Ive got some news for you that completely solves your dilemma: Nobody cares about your acne. Not your teachers, not your fellow group members... not anyone but yourself. Admittedly the girls probably won't be flocking to you during a major breakout, but thats not why you're in class anyway.

Everyone there is there for the same reason you are...to get a good grade and pass the class. They arent going to care if they are sitting next to or working with someone with bad acne. Chances are they are too busy worrying about themselves to care about you.

In my opinion the final year of school is the best time to start accutane. Focus on your schoolwork. Don't worry about your appearance until after the accutane is done. By that time you will be close to graduating and you can really enjoy the clear skin that Accutane should give you.

Again, just for reinforcement: they dont care.

Cheers all once again.

Greg

I had to reply to this post. If this is really how you feel I would say that you have some other issues besides your acne. You need to look at this Accutane course as just another obstacle you have to overcome to reach your goals. The need to find in yourself the discipline to not worry about the initial breakout from the Accutane and focus your attention on other things.

The initial breakout period won't be that long, probably a month at the most. Do you really think that you can't handle that? If thats the case, then do you really think you can make it in the Air Force? They are two completely different things, but the fact is they both require that same inner drive and discipline to overcome. The circumstances in your life are not always going to be ideal. The sooner you learn that lesson the sooner you will start to realize your true potential.

I'll pose another question: would you rather have to worry about applying BP every night while your in basic training (which probably won't be possible even if they let you keep it with you, which they probably won't) or would you rather not have to worry about acne at all and be able to focus 100% on your training? Finish this course of Accutane and you are virtually guaranteed clear skin or at the very least a significant reduction in your acne. Consider the effort it will take to finish the Accutane as an investment in your future, hopefully one who's effects will last permanantly.

I know this sounds like some kind of motivational speech, but I'm just trying put things in perspective. Good luck to you. I know that you'll step up to plate and face this thing head on. Accutane was one of the best things Ive ever done for myself and I am confident you will feel the same way when its all done.

PS I love that 50 Cent quote too. Great track.

Cheers all once again.

Greg

I had to reply to this post. If this is really how you feel I would say that you have some other issues besides your acne. You need to look at this Accutane course as just another obstacle you have to overcome to reach your goals. The need to find in yourself the discipline to not worry about the initial breakout from the Accutane and focus your attention on other things.

The initial breakout period won't be that long, probably a month at the most. Do you really think that you can't handle that? If thats the case, then do you really think you can make it in the Air Force? They are two completely different things, but the fact is they both require that same inner drive and discipline to overcome. The circumstances in your life are not always going to be ideal. The sooner you learn that lesson the sooner you will start to realize your true potential.

I'll pose another question: would you rather have to worry about applying BP every night while your in basic training (which probably won't be possible even if they let you keep it with you, which they probably won't) or would you rather not have to worry about acne at all and be able to focus 100% on your training? Finish this course of Accutane and you are virtually guaranteed clear skin or at the very least a significant reduction in your acne. Consider the effort it will take to finish the Accutane as an investment in your future, hopefully one who's effects will last permanantly.

I know this sounds like some kind of motivational speech, but I'm just trying put things in perspective. Good luck to you. I know that you'll step up to plate and face this thing head on. Accutane was one of the best things Ive ever done for myself and I am confident you will feel the same way when its all done.

PS I love that 50 Cent quote too. Great track.

Oh man, Andrew you rock pal! :clap: You're so right. I've never thought about things like that because you know how it is when you stand in front of the mirror. I warned my housemates that I'm due to start accutane in november. They were like 'what's that and what's it for?'. I told them it was to clear up my skin and they were astonished to find that I actually 'might' have an acne problem as they had NEVER noticed it before I told them. Funny really!

I am well motivated now mate and am gonna stick this through to the end alright. Can't wait to get started. If you live in the UK pal, give me a shout as I think I owe you a beer for your motivating words!

Just a quick question too - how comes people come back here after taking accutane? HJas it cleared your acne Andrew? If so, do you come back here alike other people just to provide support?

ALL THE BEST MATE!

Will update you soon.

Cheers

Greg

:dance:

My son started on 80mg on October 6. He had his initial breakout around the second week and it was bad for about two weeks. Just this past week (week 4) it has started to calm down - the cysts that come to the surface literally overnight also heal just as quickly. His dermatologist says within the next two weeks he should start experiencing clearing. I think he is already experiencing it.

Be advised: if it does seem to get bad for a couple of weeks within that first month, it is temporary and will clear up. Be positive and look forward to the time that it starts to clear - it will come.