Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hello everyone.

I've been on Accutane for 2 months. I just started 'bulking' this month. I've drastically changed my diet in attempts to make gains in muscle mass. My 'bulking' diet consists of high protein meals, eating 6 times a day. My doctor has noticed that my AST levels have drastically increased. I believe it was at 89, and last month it was somewhere around 29. My doctor has ordered me to stop both bulking and accutane for a period of two weeks, and then to get another blood test in attempts to see what might be causing the increase in AST levels. What do you all think might be causing the AST levels? If I stop both the bulking diet and the medication, how exactly can my doctor discover which was causing the level increase? The only possibility she might be able to eliminate is that BOTH the diet and the protein might be causing the problem, but how would we know for sure which one of the two could be at fault? Also is there a connection between consuming protein and causing strain on the liver? I've also been eating lots of eggs, which I just recently discovered, happens to contain Vitamin A. Shouldn't Vitamin A be avoided while taking accutane?

Thanks everyone

I would listen to your doc. I don't know any of the medical specifics of the AST stuff, but if there's one thing I've learned from this site, it's that you need to limit variables. In other words, while on accutane and getting blood tests, don't make any other drastic changes such as an intense bulking diet. Keep it down to 1 variable at a time. It'll suck not to get big as fast as you want, but there's always time after accutane.

-Dan

Could it be your large egg consumption (assuming with yolk)? I know eggs contain lots of cholesterol.

It might be my large consumption of eggs, as I had been eating up to a dozen eggs a day. (usually 1 whole egg for every 3 egg whites). But, I will do as Dan said, to take everything one variable at a time. Thanks guys.

please post your diet and we can try to find out the problem. i have gone on 2 bulking cycles while on accutane without any negative changes in cholesterol, etc etc. i think it has alot to do with how clean you are eating. include workout nutrition and supplementation with your post.