Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
captainjimbo

Jimbob's Accutane Journal

Hey guys. I just found the site a few weeks ago. I want to try and help out anyone else I can by keeping an accutane log with some siiiiiiiick pictures.

6'3" 190lbs.

Acne history: light breakouts starting in Grade 11, progressively worse (although at some points I would totally clear up for a number of weeks) until the end of First year university where large red bumps (cysts?) began breaking out in a few places, went on 100mg/day Minocin/Solugel (8% Benzoyl) for about 3 months, saw about 40% reduction, started 40mg/day Accutane 7 days ago (end of third month on minocin).

I'd also like to note that almost always when I get a whitehead or breakout or whatever, where I can see the whiteness sticking out on the surface, I usually pop it or pick at it or something. My mother always told me TO pick them, for some reason. I never learned till seeing the dermatologist that this is really not the best idea.

Here, I'd like to add in that they should TRAIN MORE DERMATOLOGISTS!!! It took me like 3 friggin months to get in, and another 3 months to get my second appointment. If I had been able to go on minocin a few days, not a few MONTHS, after my first really nasty breakouts (which it reduced almost completely) it would have saved me a lot of scarring.

:boohoo:

Anyways, I'll start it off with some pictures of me over the last few years...some of them may be slightly rude, because the only pictures me and my friends seem to take, is when we are getting our drink on, and when I get my drink on, I do stupid things in pictures, like ALWAYS sticking out my tongue and flashing the shocker. The only pictures I have on my computer where I am not doing those two things, is when I am passed out. I also really like to use commas, so watch out.

post-30604-1130478933_thumb.jpg

post-30604-1130479062_thumb.jpg

post-30604-1130479304_thumb.jpg

post-30604-1130479435_thumb.jpg

post-30604-1130478933_thumb.jpg

post-30604-1130479062_thumb.jpg

post-30604-1130479304_thumb.jpg

post-30604-1130479435_thumb.jpg

My second post I would like to dedicate to makeup.

My happiest moments of the last 6 months were thanks to it, and also my most painful moments.

I am a huge clubber/partier. Starting in grade 12 I was at a house party at least twice a week. Starting in the summer of grade 12 I hit the club scene and continued to do so into the first year of University. My acne never really got in the way of my going out, it was pretty light, if it happened to get more mild, I would just stay in and wait till it cleared up. I was lucky back then, I could go for a number of weeks without flare ups.

By the end of first year university I was not going out at all. I just couldn't handle it. In the clubbing scene, you have to look good to be succesful, because everything is based on looks in a club where you can't hear anything but the house music, let alone conversation. I was so bummed out. After first year ended, my acne started coming and going again, so I began going out with my friends to bars and clubs again. By June 2005, it had progressed, never clearing. This is when I arranged for an appointment with the dermatologist, I realized I needed some serious help.

This is also when I first got my sister to put makeup on me (foundation, concealer, setting powder). I was SO PUMPED, my skin looked flawless. I went out and got my own gear, matched the skin tone perfectly, it was great. I started going out on the weekends again.

However, the weekdays started to become horrible, I was breaking out terribly, with big red bumps all around my mouth area, it was unbearable. I continued hiding my acne with the makeup on the weekends, and it continued to get progressively worse. When I started my Minocin at the end of July 2005, I realized the makeup had to stop.

Fast forward to October 2005 (now). Makeup free for a while now. The minocin isn't working, the red bumps don't flare up any more, but I am still getting tons of white heads and pustule nasty things. So my NEW dermatologist gets me going on the accutane, 40mg/day to start, after 1st month onto 80mg/day.

Two weeks ago I bought some of this makeup by Dermablend, endorsed by dermatologists, non-acnegenic, non comeodomic, non everything, designed specifically for people with acne who can break out easily. Not only that but it actually has sacylic acid in it to break up the dead skin, CRAZY. I used it two weekends ago, WOW WOW WOW, is all I have to say. Next day, my skin had NO new breakouts, just the same old acne I had yesterday, aka, this makeup is the shit. My sister has started using it too. I've actually been hitting the clubs again the past two weekends, the makeup makes your skin look flawless. Plus, in low lighting conditions, and if you have the shade matched perfectly, it is VERY difficult to tell you are wearing it. The only thing is that if you have any really big bumps, I'm talking 3-D you can definitely see them, they still kinda stand out with the makeup on, just not all red and stuff. That is all for my novel on makeup. Be careful with it, please. http://www.dermablend.com/productDetails.aspx?prodID=100020

I have attached a photo of me (pink tie) with my homeboys from the summer. I have some foundation on, it looks sexxxxxy, but oh wait, I looked like asssss the next week.

post-30604-1130481191_thumb.jpg

post-30604-1130481191_thumb.jpg

So, I've been on Accutane for 7 days, woooooo.

DAY 7

So far I feel okay, I am a super duper happy person normally, so I don't feel depressed or anything. Eyes are kinda dry, nose is kinda dry, lips are moderately dry and starting to flake. My face looks like a large shit burger with extra cheese. It's starting to flake a little, but all my red spots from past breakouts have become SUPER red, and I have begun to break out around my mouth and on my forehead, more than I normally would. This is the shite I've read all about, loving every minute of it so far. Wish I could fast forward 2 months from now.

100%, not picking or prodding ANYTHING. Not shaving. Using cetaphil gentle cleanser and cetaphil moisturizer morning and night (more like afternoon and late night, I'm in college, yah!). Also using the blistex I got for free in my accutane handout (thank you Roche).

post-30604-1130481907_thumb.jpg

post-30604-1130481913_thumb.jpg

post-30604-1130481917_thumb.jpg

post-30604-1130481922_thumb.jpg

post-30604-1130481907_thumb.jpg

post-30604-1130481913_thumb.jpg

post-30604-1130481917_thumb.jpg

post-30604-1130481922_thumb.jpg

congratz on getting accutane...i started my course/journal bout 4days ago so ill keeping a close eye on ur progress. My acne is slightly worse than urs from what i can tell. Yours appears to confined to mainly one area of your face, around your mouth. In my case its cheeks, chin, upper side of neck. Docs put me on only 20mg/day for first 3 weeks, apparently to ease the magnitude of the side effects particularly joint / back pains.

My question for you is do you play any sports excessively (2+ times p/wk) or lifting? If so experiencing any more pains than usual so far?...probably not hey as its so early but let me know if you do

g'luck with it

Guest tenshigirl25

im surprised thy would prescribe u accutane. ur acne looks very, very mild. it will probably take u a month or 2 tops to get perfect clear.

im surprised thy would prescribe u accutane. ur acne looks very, very mild. it will probably take u a month or 2 tops to get perfect clear.

I agree with you. I have clearer skin than this dude but I am on Accutane because of my back. Hopwfully my treatment is smooth sailing with minimal side effects.

Mild, but still, after one look my dermatologist definitely thought I should go on it. I definitely think its worth while.

Tmac, thanks bro, I'll do likewise. I workout with weights 3 times a week, I'm on a special diet to help build muscle as well, haven't noticed anything yet.

Anyways, here are the rest of my pics from day 7.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image