Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Naitch

Tane Question

Maybe I misunderstood my derm today, but he told me that my sebum glands will continue producing sebum a few months after I'm off accutane. Then he said I have less than a 5% chance that my acne will comeback. Now here's my question: If the sebum glands continue to produce sebum, how is it a "5%" chance? Is it because it produces less sebum???? Thanks much.

Maybe I misunderstood my derm today, but he told me that my sebum glands will continue producing sebum a few months after I'm off accutane. Then he said I have less than a 5% chance that my acne will comeback. Now here's my question: If the sebum glands continue to produce sebum, how is it a "5%" chance? Is it because it produces less sebum???? Thanks much.

I was told this is because Roaccutane carries on working for a while after you have finished your course.

^^^Lol my derm told me something similar. He told me of all his patients, 10 had to take accutane twice, and no one has taken it a third time! He then, jokingly, said you may be the first.

My daughter's derm never said it wouldn't come back, as a matter of fact, she said it probably would, but not as bad. She was right.

I think you misunderstood. The derm was probably saying that your sebum production would be reduced for a couple months before returning to normal. But the sebum is not what really causes acne - it's the clogged pores. Accutane works by fixing up your pores so they don't clog from the inside so easily - the reduction in sebum is really a side effect. When the pores don't clog, the sebum can flow out to the skin the way it should instead of staying trapped down in there feeding bacteria.