Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Image101

Yeecchh....B5 is the WORST thing ive tasted in a long time!!

Well, I started taking B5 (8 grams a day), and I think all you B5 takers can agree, its the worst taste ever! Does anyone have tips to taking it, besides the obvious just put it in pills? Thanks!

Have you tried Brewer's yeast. I can't imagine anything tasting or smelling worse than that. How does B5 compare with brewer's yeast?

Guest fatman_uk

You think THAT'S bad?

Try gettin some of the drink mix doctors prescribe you when you've got worms in your butt. I remember when i was about 7, i DIDN'T even have the worms, it was jus a ''precautionary'' shitty thing.

You WON'T beat it for a bad taste, you WILL puke.

An more on topic, what happened to that orange flavoured stuff everyone was raving about last year?

-Gaz

i have the worst tolerance for the taste of pills too.. i agree.. but i buy b5 from GNC and it comes in the form of capsule and tastes like nothing.. get the capsules from GNC

To take b5 powder (pills are a bad idea because they don't digest fully), simply mix 1tsp per 16 ounces of orange juice. I recommend calcium-fortified OJ for this, as it helps mask the b5 taste the best. You can drink this without much of a problem...just make sure you mix WELL (i recommend using a bottle that you can shake).

capsules are absorbed just as well. it's the hard pills that your stomach has a hard time breaking down. capsules disintergrate in minutes in your stomach. there is virtually no difference in its effectiveness.

capsules are absorbed just as well.  it's the hard pills that your stomach has a hard time breaking down.  capsules disintergrate in minutes in your stomach.  there is virtually no difference in its effectiveness.

That is true, have you ever put a gelcap in water? They disintegrate in a minute or two.

guys, try capping the powder yourself. buy a cap em quick machine for size 000 and some 000 capsules and you can cap 50 1g capsules at a time, taking about 5-10min to cap each batch. sit down for an hour with a lot of powder and you've got a few weeks supplies, free of bad taste and INEXPENSIVE

B5 is a common B-vitamin, there a bunch: b-5, B-6, B-12 off the top of my head. Recently, it has been discovered that if large amounts of B5 (5-10 grams daily) are taken, it will eliminate acne. There are large detailed explanations floating around here, but I jus woke up and don't feel like finding them. Also, it is water soluble, which means it will not cause harm if a large amount is taken.

I managed to dig up the text of the original article of the B5 theory (http://www.pantothenic-acid.com/acne_vulgaris.html). B5 = pantothenic acid.

Basically, the gist of Dr. Leung's theory is that B5 is responsible for producing Coenzyme A. This coenzyme is thought to be responsible for two things: sex hormone synthesis and fatty acid metabolism. Dr. Leung speculates that when you don't have enough B5 to go around, you only get the synthesis of sex hormones and no metabolism of fatty acids. When there is no metabolism of fatty acids, you get a buildup of sebum in the sebaceous glands and a propensity towards acne. Thus, Dr. Leung proposes that adding B5 will result in the synthesis of more Coenzyme A for fatty acid metabolism. He then goes on to describe an experiment of 100 volunteers that supports his hypothesis.

I have several qualms about his theory. First, the experiment was not well-documented in the linked article, so I have no way of ensuring if the experiment was done with good scientific practices in mind. Second, I have some problems with the theory. To support the idea that the necessary synthesis of sex hormones prevents metabolism of fatty acids, he discusses that eunuchs do not suffer from acne because they do not need to produce sex hormones; therefore, they can devote all of their Coenzyme A towards fatty acid metabolism. If this is the case, then taking androgens (male hormones) should reduce acne if homeostasis of hormonal production is present. What I mean is that if you take androgens, you don't need to produce as much androgen to balance out, and your body should instead use Coenzyme A for fatty acid metabolism.

Contrary to what one might expect, the use of androgens has the side effect of causing acne (http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/uspdi/202036.html#SXX19). Another problem with Dr. Leung's theory is that the conversion of pantothenic acid to Coenyzme A doesn't appear to be a straightforward process (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=1746161&dopt=Abstract).

Therefore, taking more B5 doesn't necessarily equate to having more Coenzyme A available for fatty acid metabolism.

Instead of Dr. Leung's theory, what appears to be supported is that androgens play a critical role in acne, and that androgens must be present for female acne (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=12358558&dopt=Abstract). This is how those contraceptives work against acne in females: by blocking androgen expression and/or blocking androgen receptors.

As far as if there's any over-the-counter meds for reducing androgen synthesis, I'll have to look around.

can u buy this stuff in powder at GNC? I got the capsules..but i was dumb and got the 100 mg ones..they have 500..but i got the 100..so i have to take 100 a day to get 10 g...lol..im taking 20 a day until i get the powder..

I really wish I had taken before pics. Maybe i'll take some after pics and post them so you can see how well it worked. I'm certainly not done taking it yet, I've only finished about 15-20 days worth. My acne is not completely gone, but I went from having 10-15 active pimples to 1 or 2. I still have a lot of red marks though, but i'm working on those. Also, no more oil (which is a major plus for me).

I purchased 2 8 OZ bottles of Pantothenic Acid (B5) powder from vitaglo.com. It was only 12 bucks per bottle. Very cheap. I'd be happy to answer any more questions.