Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
NoSoapForMe

Finally Acne Truth and Reason!!

:wall:

Hello everyone. I have been researching Adult Acne for a while now, because I never had a pimple until I turned twenty-eight. Acne, is very common in Adults. As a female, it is especially common during that famous time of the month. For me, that's my battle. Every month I can predict like clock work, a serious breakout. Scarring breakouts. I have red marks from acne, that ocurred last year. No amount of make-up will cover them either. It's embarrasing, shameful and extremely degrading to your self esteem. Broad daylight, or outdoor light makes me cringe, because I know everyone can see what I feel on the inside. I am so tired of buying every new product and gimmik on the market. The well known Proactive didn't work for me, because it was about as soothing as rubbing a brillo pad on my face, and ohhhh the burning sensation I had with the creams was unbearable. The medicated acne washes out there, leave your skin feeling tight and seem to provoke more breakouts. And Who has ever tried those NASTY Biore' Pore Cleansing Strips?? What were they thinking!!?? Pulling a piece of duck tape off of my face sounds better!!

It's no wonder we have problem skin, look at the things we do to it, over the years. It's starts out as a simple blemish and pretty soon we are buying creams, washes, strips and the whole gammet.

Our skin is our first line of defense against the elements in our enviroment. It should be treated as a precious resource, not as a criminal. I have learned the hard way, some things, that I want to pass on to you.

1. Never Never wash with anything containing the following ingredients: Sodium Laurel Sulfate, Fragrance, Citric Acid, and remember the 1st ingredient listed, on any product is the most abundant.

2. I recommend these cleansers for anyone: Cetaphil, Dove, Basis (Really Good), Anything that says, "Non-Soap" should be gentle enough. Remember unless your rolling your face in the dirt, a gentle soap-free cleanser is all you need!!

3. Lotions---get a Gentle one Preferably WITHOUT MINERAL OIL, Which I am Positive Clogs Pores. There is a lot of contraversy surrounding mineral oil, and the exact reason why it's used so much. It will Clog pores in your face. Mineral Oil is in About Every Lotion on the market, Except a few Organic Lotions. I use AVALON ORGANICS. You can check out the ingredients on their web site. You can purchase them at GNC stores.

4. Make-up, Ladies, this is important, you don't want to go through the time and effort of taking good care of your skin, if your going to slap that crap on your face. All make-up clogs pores, which leads to blackheads, and Acne. Try to give your face a break from wearing it at all while your clearing up your skin. If you must cover, try the new mineral powders, like Bare Escentuals (QVC), or Physician's Formula (Target, WAl-Mart). They are pure minerals and no TALC, so gentle they say you can sleep in them. I wouldn't do that, but it proves a point.

5. Always wash your face in Tepid water, never too cold or too hot.

6. Never use anything other than your hands to wash your face. If you want to exfoliate use a soft washcloth and GENTLY use small circular motions and a gentle non-soap cleanser. Remember your not cleaning Rust off of the bumber on your car.

7. Clean make-up brushes often, with the same soap as you use on your face. I say about every three days. Bacteria can and will develop in them, and you will only cause more problems if you don't.

8. Enviromental challenges: Smoke, smoking, and smokers are a quick way to stress out your skin. Avoid it if possible and stopping smoking will greatly increase the appearance of your skin, and probably will save your life.

9. Food: Yes, I know, what does food have to do with it? No Chocolate DOES NOT CAUSE ACNE. Hormones do. But increasing your intake of H20, fruits, fish, and veggies will improve your skin.

These are things I am passing to you, because I have been there.

I was a smoker, had acne, used bad products, and finally at 29 learned my lesson about all those things. Please take care of your self. It's never too late.

Peace~ Denise

heh thanks.

hmm question bout your statements on no SLS, and using cetaphil... cuz i know for a fact that my Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser has SLS, just in really small amount so i'm not too bothered by it. or are you using a different product?

My Clearasil Biactol cleansing wash stuff i use contains :

Citric acid --whats wrong with this?

Sodium Lauroamphoacetate.

Not exactly what you wrote, but close!

the mineral oil used in cosmetic and skincare products DO NOT clog pores. we've just been brainwashed to think anything with oil in it is bad for skin.

Mineral oil is evil, but not because it clogs pores. Actually, it doesn't. The evil of mineral oil is that it's an occlusive oil that creates a barrier on your skin, it does not "absorb". In order to maintain this barrier, mineral oil will steal moisture from the air, and *your skin* to maintain this barrier. That's the evil, and the cycle that using mineral oil starts. It may "protect" you skin from outside drying agents, but in the process is still stealing moisture from your skin. That's the last thing anyone wants to do to their skin. Skin must stay moisturised in order for it to heal properly and in a timely fashion.

As far as SLS (Sodium Lauryl/Laureth Sulfate) goes, yes, this is is evil as well. Also, ALS (Ammonium Lauryl/Laureth Sulfate) should be added to the *never use* list as well. Some say ALS is gentler than SLS, but my skin will argue that point greatly.

Mineral oil is evil, but not because it clogs pores. Actually, it doesn't. The evil of mineral oil is that it's an occlusive oil that creates a barrier on your skin, it does not "absorb". In order to maintain this barrier, mineral oil will steal moisture from the air, and *your skin* to maintain this barrier. That's the evil, and the cycle that using mineral oil starts. It may "protect" you skin from outside drying agents, but in the process is still stealing moisture from your skin. That's the last thing anyone wants to do to their skin. Skin must stay moisturised in order for it to heal properly and in a timely fashion.

As far as SLS (Sodium Lauryl/Laureth Sulfate) goes, yes, this is is evil as well. Also, ALS (Ammonium Lauryl/Laureth Sulfate) should be added to the *never use* list as well. Some say ALS is gentler than SLS, but my skin will argue that point greatly.

gee...did you learn that about mineral oil from arbonne??? mineral is not so occlusive that it creates that barrier. It's actually very moisturizing but most acne sufferers tend to do better w/ oil free. Mineral oil will not clog pores.

As for the makeup in the OP....no, all makeup does not clog pores.

It's a wonder w/ all these myths around no one knows what to do.

Hello again everyone. I want to explain my Citric Acid Problem. It's derived from Cirtris Fruits and is very irritating to my sensitive skin. It burns my face.

Mineral Oil is a blocker of sorts, and when my doc told me not to use it, because the hormone cream I use cannot penetrate the mineral oil, therefore diminisheing the effects of my RX CReam.

gee...did you learn that about mineral oil from arbonne??? mineral is not so occlusive that it creates that barrier. It's actually very moisturizing but most acne sufferers tend to do better w/ oil free. Mineral oil will not clog pores.

As for the makeup in the OP....no, all makeup does not clog pores.

It's a wonder w/ all these myths around no one knows what to do.

No, my knowledge comes from experience and my dermatologist. Also, I know that mineral oil is non-comedogenic. I said it wasn't. I apply lotion to my face only twice a day. When I use products with mineral oil, I need to apply them 4 times a day or else my skin will get so dry that it will become painfull to smile.

As for myths, speaking of, Oil-free doesn't always really mean it's oil free. Oil-free is just free of natural oils, but they are allowed to used synthesised oils that can, and often, are more comedogenic than a lot of the natural oils out there. I stay very far away from anything that says "oil-free".

Creating a barrier on your face is not the problem, it's the fact that mineral takes moisture out of your skin to maintain the barrier it creates. The barrier is a good thing. In fact, the treatment powder I use on a daily basis, whether I wear MMU or not, is mostly dimethicone creating a silicone based barrier on my face to protect it.