Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
leopolda

concealing/camoflaging scarring

I'm not a big make-up person--prefer the natural look, but my skin has made me become really good at camoflage. First, I use a silicone primer on freshly washed skin. Then, I use light coverage foundation all over, then I use either full coverage concealor or coverblend (comparable to dermablend), to conceal the redness of any scarring. The most important thing here is to match your skin color--for me, because I have yellow undertones, the danger is using a color that is either too pink or too orange. Now once you've got the color evened out, here is my secret for hiding the indentations. This probably works better for pick or pitted scars, but I've had success on scars that are wider and shallower (not quite rolling, but it might work on hills and valleys as well). Prescriptives makes a product called something like magic line smoother or something like that. It's a thick clear almost gel-like substance that you can fill in and smooth over depressions. I use a toothpick to apply a bit into the center of a scar and then I work it into the scar and with the edge of the toothpick, I smooth it over (almost like a spackle, but that makes it sound really bad). It dries to a transparent matte finish and it really creates the illusion of smoother skin. I then very gently dust a translucent powder around but not directly on the scarred area and it looks great. Where I can really see the difference is in reflections that highlight textural problems, and it blends very nicely.

Leopolda

Many thanks Leo, just one more thing:

What do you mean by a silicone primer? And do you recommned Prescriptives concealer?

You have no idea how camoflage is important for me...let's say in few months to come to be specific.

Any input regarding silicone primers?

I just discovered primers. You put them on before you apply your make-up and they are supposed to prep the skin, by filling in groves and unevenness, allowing foundation to go on more evenly. They are also supposed to help keep oil at bay longer and keep your foundation from fading out throughout the day. Silicone primers in particular are supposed to be great for "filling in," and keeping a matte surface, though some have reported breakouts from them. I went on makeupalley and looked up reviews and the one everyone seems really to like is Smashbox (you can get it at Sephora). It's expensive, but a little goes a long way. I just bought the travel size so I could try it out, and so far I really like it--definitely keeps make-up looking fresh and in place for longer. You can also probably get this for cheaper on ebay. The primer before the foundation/concealor and then the line smoother afterwards, followed by a light dusting of powder is really a winning combination. Sounds high-maintenance, but really isn't. and yes, I really like presccriptives concealor (in the tube, like the smoother). Their yellowish-hued colors really match my skin well. Good luck.

--leopolda

I always buy the sample size Smashbox primer from Sephora. It's actually cheaper than buying the full size one....you get 0.5 oz for $14.50 of the sample one and .93 oz for $36 in the full size...so you can buy two small ones and get 1 oz for only $29.00.

Just thought this might be useful for some of you that are considering buying this :)

I always buy the sample size Smashbox primer from Sephora. It's actually cheaper than buying the full size one....you get 0.5 oz for $14.50 of the sample one and .93 oz for $36 in the full size...so you can buy two small ones and get 1 oz for only $29.00.

Just thought this might be useful for some of you that are considering buying this :)

Hi LittleFrog! How do you get the sample size? I cannot find that on Sephora. hmm.. let me know!

electro--

I checked on sephora and now they have the sample size one listed as smashbox photo finish foundation primer "to go".

Here's where it is....

http://www.sephora.com/browse/product.jhtm...&categoryId=B70

Aww thanks so much! I appreciate your help. I'm going to order this and give it a try. What makeup do you use on top? I use Bare Minerals but I have just found Jane Iredale and I like the way that looks too. Does the Smashbox clog your pores at all? It looks like it has good ingredients in it.

fighter05: Are you planning to wear makeup on your date? Maybe you can try it and take a picture and we can tell you the makeup is noticeable or not. Have you tried shelf tan lotion if so, does it help make scars look less visible? I have not tried it but if it helps then do that instead of makeup.

Getting a tan is only good to hide red marks and shit. THe actual indented scars show up a lot more if your tan. But look at my pic I'm so pale u can almost see through me lol.

Right now I'm using revlon Colorstay Stay Natural...but I just got some samples of J Lynne mineral makeup that I'm going to try. I'm kind of worried that the mineral makeup wont give me the coverage I need though.

It seems to me you would want to fill the pits and smooth everything and then apply color/foundation. Does this make sense to anyone else? Has anyone ever tried it that way? Just wondering. Thanks.

trieditall,

For me it doesn't work that way. After I apply the filler I cannot add foundation or concealer over it or I find that it moves (even after I let it set). I do add power at times at that seems to be okay. Hopefully it doesn't work this way for everyone.

Another good silicone primer that won't break you out is Paula Dorf. Be sure to get the one for combination/oily skin (b/c it comes in 2 types: for dry or oily). You can get it at Sephora, too. This does NOT take the place of the "filler", but it does make the face a more even-toned, smoother canvas for make up & this formula is made for acne prone skin so the chances of breaking out from it are very slim.

One more thing, the full size of Prescriptives Magic Line Smoother , how long would it last? I know it depends on how much you use it, but generally speaking if used on regular basis.

As far as I understood, it's to be put on the pits not full face, isn't it?

I just bought that one on Sephora. I am excited to try it out!

I'm quoting a post by cruella22

Sep 27 2005, 08:48 PM

Make-up Help Forum

I'm only using one primer right now by Trish Mcevoy, after testing several other ones on my hand I found this primer to be the softest and silkiest feel to it and just to be sure I was getting my money's worth I asked a few of the women at the counters what their favorite makeup primer was and they said it was Trish McEvoy's. I would not reccomend Smashbox's Primer even though it is popular just because it contains some type of oil which wont be good for people on acne.org. But another makeup primer that was just as good seemed to be NARS's. Another makeup primer I tried was by Laura Mercier. I have been using the makeup primer for a week now and it really does make a huge difference

Hi

i have read your post about prescriptives magical line smoother and have just ordered some from qvc the shopping channel, so will let you know if it helps me to camoflage my scarring, i do hope so!!!

I have only recently joined the board and am trudging through all the threads for help and advice, I also heard that milk of magnesia is a good foundation primer to help with oily skin and me having oiley skin can show up your scars even more. I have had 4 lots of laser surgery with no results if anything it has made it alot worse. When i originally started the laser , it was for icepicks and after the forth time i devoloped a whopping chicken pox like scar on my left cheek that wasnt there when i started so that put me off and i had my money back which was £2000!!!!! so i wouldnt reccomend laser to anyone.

anyway thanx again and hopefully it will work for me

L xx

i just ordered the prescriptives one. i'm a guy and dont want to wear "makeup" but this sounds clear/invisible. if it fills scars in a bit, it sounds awesome.

i knew they'd have to develop something like this sooner or later b/c i used to use face masks (the clear ones) and when i put it on it would totally dry and smooth out my skin completely. i always thought why can't they make something like this thats not visible and not so thick but does the same thing.

for $35 i'm willing to check it out.

For what it's worth, I have been using this lately for a few small pits (1-2mm), and I really like it a lot! So thanks to leopolda and everyone else in this thread!

Woo hoo! I've wondered for years why they didn't have something to "spackle" my scars. It only makes sense. I had discovered Smashbox's photo finish a couple months back and it helped a little, but not nearly as much as I had hoped. This combination may just do the trick!!! Thank you so much!

Also remember to this as a final step. If you powder your face directly afterwards you will have tiny patches of white powder left behind. I take a small brush, dip it in a darker powder and lightly blend the top of the cream. This works as a bit of a seal.

This method has worked very well for me for a very, very long time. It has held up through many hot and humid summer in the south as well as swimming. It will take you forever to get through one tube if you are just using it as a spot treatment. (I still have some left in a tube that is over 4 years old..lol) This in combination with MAC's matte primer kept me going even during my darkest times. Good luck and remember it may take you a bit of trial and error to get your method perfected.