Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
royksopp

Should I switch to Regimen?

Hello,

I went to a dermatoligist about 5 months ago because I started getting acne pretty bad at age 19. She prescribed me on Doxycyclin and Differin, along with Brevoxl-8 wash in the morning, which seemed to help a little bit, but i didn't see any significant results. I was then switched to Minocyclin and Tretinoin (still with Brevoxl-8), which I started using at the beginning of the semester. My skin cleared up quite a bit, but I was feeling just horribly sick from the Minocyclin, so she switched me to take Ampicillin.

Its been about a month and a half on that routine, and my acne has been getting a little worse, as well as my face getting quite red. I won't be able to see the dermatologist for another 2 months. As of today, my left side of my face is clear, but I can feel some new whiteheads forming, and the right side of my face has broken out pretty badly in the last few days.

Should I give up on the oral antibiotics and tretinoin and move to the Regimen? If so, should i ramp down off my meds first?

Thanks so much for your help! My acne is causing me bad depression, and I just want to be my old self again...

Mike :wall:

personally I think oral antibiotics are a joke. They're not good for your body long term and acne is not curable....so....what's the point? Whatever we find that "fixes" our skin will most likely need to be continued. Even if they do work for you the minute you stop taking them they will stop working.

If what you're doing isn't working (I like to give my skin about 3 months to test new acne produtcts) then yeah I wouldn't continue.

personally I think oral antibiotics are a joke. They're not good for your body long term and acne is not curable....so....what's the point? Whatever we find that "fixes" our skin will most likely need to be continued. Even if they do work for you the minute you stop taking them they will stop working.

If what you're doing isn't working (I like to give my skin about 3 months to test new acne produtcts) then yeah I wouldn't continue.

That's exactly what I was thinking. I don't like the idea of taking a pill for acne, especially if it can have lasting long-term effects. I'm only 19, and no one else in my family had acne past teen years, so i'm pretty sure this is just a phase that will go out in a year or less. I ordered Dan's BP gel and will probably stop everything and start the regimen when it arrives. Even though i've been on this other medication, will I still see the same breakout period when I start the regimen?

Thanks!

Mike

Im same as you. I never really had acne at all in Highschool, some senior year but I didnt take care of my face. Im 19 now and it got pretty bad for a while, my Derm put me on a bunch of topicals that didnt work and then finally minocycline and benzaclin and a BP wash. Well I dropped the BP wash cause my face is better and the benzaclin, I still use the Minocycline.

I am on Dan's Regime and have been doing it for about a week and a half and Im already seeing results. I take 1 100MG tablet of Minocycline a day and then just follow dans regime and a face mask once a week or so.

My skins improving slowly but its alot better than it used to be. Maybe you should stick with the Mino and just start Dans regime, it wont hurt.

Im same as you. I never really had acne at all in Highschool, some senior year but I didnt take care of my face. Im 19 now and it got pretty bad for a while, my Derm put me on a bunch of topicals that didnt work and then finally minocycline and benzaclin and a BP wash. Well I dropped the BP wash cause my face is better and the benzaclin, I still use the Minocycline.

I am on Dan's Regime and have been doing it for about a week and a half and Im already seeing results. I take 1 100MG tablet of Minocycline a day and then just follow dans regime and a face mask once a week or so.

My skins improving slowly but its alot better than it used to be. Maybe you should stick with the Mino and just start Dans regime, it wont hurt.

Yeah, same situation seems like. I started using Dan's regimen on Saturday and dropped all the other meds because they were making me depressed. Let me just say.. INCREDIBLE. I had some clogged pores for a month that were finally brought to the surface, and I have not had any new pimples pop up. My skin texture is already so much smoother, just a little bit of redness when i load up at night.

Good luck. It feels good to finally get this under control. Now I can worry about the things in life that really matter.

Mike

Yeah, same situation seems like. I started using Dan's regimen on Saturday and dropped all the other meds because they were making me depressed. Let me just say.. INCREDIBLE. I had some clogged pores for a month that were finally brought to the surface, and I have not had any new pimples pop up. My skin texture is already so much smoother, just a little bit of redness when i load up at night.

Good luck. It feels good to finally get this under control. Now I can worry about the things in life that really matter.

Mike

Good luck man, hope it all works well for you. Ive been improving alot to but I stayed on my Mino as well. Anyways keep us updated on hows it going. Id really be intrested since you and me seem like we have the same problem.

Good luck man, hope it all works well for you. Ive been improving alot to but I stayed on my Mino as well. Anyways keep us updated on hows it going. Id really be intrested since you and me seem like we have the same problem.

Damnnnn I just wanted to quick update y'alll and say that the Regimen is incredible. I have been using it for 10 days, after stopping antibiotics and Retin-A, and at the point today, i can say that the breakouts have completely stopped. My skin texture is getting smoother day by day, and the color is so much more even toned. I'm absolutely stunned that this works so well. I can't wait to go to my dermatologist and brag that I was able to do this without prescriptions. Maybe i'll post some pics in a week or so, so you can see before/after.

Also, the initial redness and dryness has stopped - i think i acheived this by using the toothbrush exfoliation method recommended on the site. I feel like a tool doing this, but hey - it really helps a ton. I use a sonicare toothbrush for this.

Later,

Mike

Dont depend on antibiotics. I used to have really bad acne and each time, my derm would put me on antibiotics 2-3 mths at a time..two months after the course ends...the acne returns. It just left me frustrated and my derm ..richer :doubt:

I think switching to the regimen is a muchhh better deal. Its not until i started treating my skin with topicals and facials....and then the regimen that i got it under control. Good luck :)