Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
AEC101

DORYX EFFECT BIRTHCONTROL

I ASKED MY DR NOT ONCE BUT TWICE IF DORYX COULD EFFECT MY BIRTHCONTROL AND SHE SAID NO, BUT THE PHARMACY SAID YES... WHAT'S THE DEAL? CAN I REALLY GET PREGNANT WITH THIS MEDICATION?

i'm assuming doryx is an antibiotic of some description, in that case it may decrease in part the effectiveness of birth control. Tho not to some huge extent.

Now then that said there could be a miscommunication between what your doctor perceived your request to be and what you heard.

I am personally on Diane 35 AND minocycline. the minocycline does not decrease the anti-acne effects of diane 35 in the slightest, however as an anti-PREGNANCY drug its effectiveness may be reduced from say 98% to 80% effective. Hence the pharmacy could have thought you were talking about pregnancy and your doctor about acne effectivness..hence the confusion!

Seriously tho. just use condoms and theres no problems with anything. all bases covered :)

Thank you for replying... i thought at first it was a miscommunication too. so thats why i called back and she said no just take one in am and one in pm... the only reason i'm making a big deal about this is my husband hates condoms and i really don't want to get pregnant right now. so i guess i was just trying to see what my odds were... i'm on seasonal.... do you think it too would decrease to 80%?

hmmm well i know i was warned to be extra careful. so yes it could decrease that much. I'm not familiar with seasonal tho..thats the one that you only have your period once every 3 months right? that may operate a little differently.

Also word to the wise, pharmacists go by the CYA method (cover your ass) as they are NOT doctors and so can be held liable for giving advice that may or may not pan out depending on the individual so they ALWAYS err on the side of caution and tell everyone that something will interact, if you ever get the print outs with medication you'll see some pretty ridiculous side effect warnings for some very simple formulas, but its the pharmacy way of avoiding a liability drug suit..they warned you of every possible outcome no matter how remote.

My advice is to call the drug manufaturer, you can find the listing online or through your pharmacy, they'll have a more realistic expectation of their product.

If you read the PDR literature for most antibiotics, it will say that it "might" interfere with BC pills. This does not mean it *will* interfere. This came about because some types of oral ABX's will indeed interfere with BC pills (doxycycline isn't one of them). Given that there is a 1% failure rate of BC pills to begin with, you will ALWAYS have a chance of failure, whether or not you are taking oral ABX's.

Obviously the pharmacy does not know the true wording of the product literature, or at the very least does not know the difference between "might" and "will".